• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Saturday Deal's Gap Run!

TacomaJD

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I had some free time Friday after work so I rode up to Chattanooga for Night Fall and stopped for tacos and a couple of good beers after. Then, Saturday, I got a late start and hit the road around noon en route to Deal's Gap from my house near Fort Payne, AL. I rode interstate up north of Chattanooga, got off at Cleveland and headed toward the Ocoee River, took 30 up through Reliance and 315 and 39 to Tellico Plains. Stopped for a pulled pork sammich and a beer at Ironworks Grill at Tellico, then headed over the Cherohala Skyway, through Joyce Kilmer Forest, and onto 129 to head up to Deal's Gap. Stopped to stretch legs and look around at Tapoco Lodge before arriving at Deal's Gap. After hanging out at Deal's Gap Resort for a bit, I hit the road and made a spirited pass through the Dragon. Got those Michelin Road 4's a little hot! Very impressed with how they handled! I couldn't ask for anything else in a tire on the NC. PLENTY of grip at a hot pace! Anyways....I exited the back of the Dragon, followed 129 until I turned left on 72 and out to 411 where the fun was over and I embarked on the 2.5 hour, and essentially straight, ride home. Made it back a little after 8pm, just over 8 hours and 400 miles later. First time I've done that ride round trip in a loooong time. I usually make a longer trip out of it and stay overnight in Alcoa.

Saw some awesome super cars along the way! McLarens, Nissan GT-R, Lotus, Porsche, etc. What a great and much needed trip!

Here are the Friday pics from Night Fall / Taco Mac.

Snapchat-853412706.jpg20220715_200232.jpgSnapchat-1407652025.jpg20220715_200718.jpgSnapchat-915504878.jpg20220715_201504.jpg

Snapchat-643772603.jpg
Snapchat-1204758031.jpg
Snapchat-746841576.jpg

Continued. Parked at Deal's Gap, went inside, came out, and an NC identical to mine was parked beside me. Chatted with the guy a bit before hitting the Dragon. Didn't think to ask if he was on this board, maybe he is. Really cool guy!

20220716_174234.jpg20220716_174219.jpg20220716_174224.jpg20220716_174736.jpg20220716_174746.jpg20220716_175336.jpg20220716_180021.jpg20220716_180024.jpg20220716_180428.jpg20220716_180432.jpg

Cool as they are I hate to see supercars and sports cars at the Dragon and nearby roads. I suppose that's pretty judgemental but I've seen many instances of cars running wide in corners and when there's nothing but corners and when you are a hammer every corner is a nail. Miatas and Minis aren't that bad but the big American car weekends and Dragon Rally weekends are a No Can Do.

I agree, however, I was surprised that there wasn't a ton of traffic on the Skyway and the Dragon. I suppose this was due to my later than normal arrival to the area. I passed a few cars and cruisers on the Skyway but it was mostly clear. On the Dragon, I had a Lotus, a Porsche, and a cruiser promptly pull over and let me continue on, but was otherwise clear also. Saturdays are usually super crowded up there, and as pretty as the weather was, I assumed it would be that day. Definitely a good day of riding and glad I chose to go, despite my hesitancy related to my late start leaving the house.

I agree, however, I was surprised that there wasn't a ton of traffic on the Skyway and the Dragon. I suppose this was due to my later than normal arrival to the area. I passed a few cars and cruisers on the Skyway but it was mostly clear. On the Dragon, I had a Lotus, a Porsche, and a cruiser promptly pull over and let me continue on, but was otherwise clear also. Saturdays are usually super crowded up there, and as pretty as the weather was, I assumed it would be that day. Definitely a good day of riding and glad I chose to go, despite my hesitancy related to my late start leaving the house.
I used to stay in Robbinsville a lot when I went up there and my favorite ride when there was to go over the Dragon to 72 to 411 to Venore then TN360 to Tellico Plains then the Skyway back to Robbinsville. It's 120 miles IIRC and sometimes I'd reverse it and ride it the other way. That way I'd be on the Dragon first thing in the morning and late in the day coming back when traffic is least.

I'm trying to talk a friend of mine into doing a Saddlesore 1000 to the Dragon and start back home from Tellico down TN 68 to GA 60 then from Dahlonega down 5 to 75 to home. I did it on my Goldwing several years ago in about 19 hours 1,123 miles.

I used to stay in Robbinsville a lot when I went up there and my favorite ride when there was to go over the Dragon to 72 to 411 to Venore then TN360 to Tellico Plains then the Skyway back to Robbinsville. It's 120 miles IIRC and sometimes I'd reverse it and ride it the other way. That way I'd be on the Dragon first thing in the morning and late in the day coming back when traffic is least.

I'm trying to talk a friend of mine into doing a Saddlesore 1000 to the Dragon and start back home from Tellico down TN 68 to GA 60 then from Dahlonega down 5 to 75 to home. I did it on my Goldwing several years ago in about 19 hours 1,123 miles.
That's a loooong day! That 400 mile loop for me in 8ish hours is about the maximum for my attention span. I'm ready to stop and do something else after that point. LOL

Cool as they are I hate to see supercars and sports cars at the Dragon and nearby roads. I suppose that's pretty judgemental but I've seen many instances of cars running wide in corners and when there's nothing but corners and when you are a hammer every corner is a nail. Miatas and Minis aren't that bad but the big American car weekends and Dragon Rally weekends are a No Can Do.

I can’t say for all the years I’ve been to The Gap that I found sports cars to be the problem. Once the Harleys discovered The Gap that’s when the likelihood of being hit by a 900 lb. bike plus rider started. These days it’s not uncommon to see a Harley lying on its side or in a ditch. I’ve seen two I was behind at very slow speeds just run off the road, no attempt to counter steer whatsoever. They’re rolling road blocks.

I recall one year trying to get past a Harley convoy just before the Fontana Dam. I made a point of giving each rider a wide berth when overtaking them individually , and a wave, knowing how fragile they tend to be, and the fact we were going to the same place. They were going so slow I could have blasted by them very quickly. I got to the store and was there a while when they arrived. One rider stopped, obviously incensed, and acted like I’d missed him by inches at high speed. After I apologized for obviously scaring him (somewhat tongue in cheek) he calmed down, realizing no doubt he was a Harley rider and therefore a tough guy who didn’t get scared.

The majority of sports cars I’ve been behind have slowed down and waved me through. I’ve never seen one cross the double yellows. No decent rider with a 150 hp sport bike is going to have any difficulty keeping up with a sports car there, the roads too twisty for cars. There

are some sports cars there being driven by skilled local drivers that are going to show you tail lights, just as there are local sport bike riders who disappear from sight after a few turns.

The Gap is a great place to ride if you have a good handling bike and want some fun, but as I believe you’ve said in the past, you have to pick the right time, and day.

Back