• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

sag adjustment

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone here done a sag adjustment with the stock shock.

I'm getting ready to make a long trip with a loaded bike and a fat guy in the saddle, so I thought it might be a good idea to adjust the sag. Those rings look mighty flimsy.

Any thoughts out there?

The rings have enough adjustment to reduce a lot of sag, at least 15 mm or 5/8" from the stock position as delivered. Measured on my OEM shock.

I've done it, too. A couple of times. I have the cheap, short hand wrenches, and they work. It's not fast because of limited throw. I've also used a hammer and a punch. Either will work, if that's what you have.

Note: Honda says to not adjust sag. I didn't care. I did it anyway.

I could make only 2.5 turn of adjustable ring and it stopped on top of protective ring. I turned it back 1/2 of turn.
It raised seat by about 3 mm in unladen position. I don't know by how much sag was decreased. I didn't have a chance to test it.

I have ordered a custom shock from Wilbers, with remote hydraulic preload option just because of this deficiency. Though the side benefit will be improved ride from what I have read. I ride mostly solo, around 75%. But I have side and top cases like to tour, both solo and with my wife as pillion. Wilbers asks your weight with gear, your pillion's weight with gear and your luggage weight, as well as the percentage solo, with pilion and with luggage, and then builds the shock to spec. Should be really easy when we go on rides. Just crank the knob a few turns and off we go. Crank it back down when we're done for the daily ride to work.

Cogent Dynamics is located just in Fletcher, NC and they make a nice shock for the NC700X. I'm very happy with the one they custom built for me. It's an Ohlins body with Cogent touches for the NC700X.

I ride 100% solo and rarely with luggage and cargo other that a top box. When I do put the side cases on and load up for a trip I add preload with an adjuster wheel on the bottom of the shock. It's not as handy as having a remote adjuster up higher but for use only several times a year it was worth saving $290 for the remote.

I had Cogent rework the shock on my DR650 and I used their springs and valve on the forks. I need to do something, but might have to wait until next year. I'm out of money. I have worked with EPM on another bike, so I thought I might try to get a Wilbers 641 from Klaus.

If the rings are at the lowest part of the threads the spring is compressed (pre-loaded) as much as it is possible to do and the sag will be at it's minimum - making the rear of the bike as high off the ground as possible

I'm trying to buy the adjuster wrenches. While everything online says the wrenches are universal I found a couple that say they don't work with the NC. Any ideas what to type into Amazon to get wrenches that will work for us?

I'm trying to buy the adjuster wrenches. While everything online says the wrenches are universal I found a couple that say they don't work with the NC. Any ideas what to type into Amazon to get wrenches that will work for us?

I believe I used a mallet and a long drift to tap the locking ring loose and then tighten the adjuster ring and lock it back in place.

Save your money and don't buy "hook spanners" for the adjuster rings because the space available is minimal. I have a Cogent shock now but when I had the standard shock I used a long drift punch and brass hammer.

One trick I found helps a lot is to paint a black stripe across the adjuster. Without some sort of reference, it's difficult to know when you've made one complete turn of the adjuster. On my Cogent adjuster, I have a thick line to indicate one full turn and a thin line to indicate a half turn.

heh, i just grabbed a nearly new(low mile) rear shock from an Aprilla for a smokin' deal that i simply could not pass up. Now to get it installed and see how it fits my riding style. Hopefully the original Aprilla spring will work, if not i too will be getting a new spring for it. I tip the scales pretty heavy compared to most of you guys at 230lbs, so here's to being hopeful hah(and before someone smarts off, no PIE has nothing to do with it...just ask me. haha)! :{)

Cogent!

Cogent Dynamics is located just in Fletcher, NC and they make a nice shock for the NC700X. I'm very happy with the one they custom built for me. It's an Ohlins body with Cogent touches for the NC700X.

I ride 100% solo and rarely with luggage and cargo other that a top box. When I do put the side cases on and load up for a trip I add preload with an adjuster wheel on the bottom of the shock. It's not as handy as having a remote adjuster up higher but for use only several times a year it was worth saving $290 for the remote.

I had Cogent Dynamics build a set up for me. It works great. I'm a big guy and run with bags and a top case. Totally worth the money. I also passed on the remote adjuster.

Back