• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Safer Turn - automatic cancelling of indicators

DavidH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi
Has anyone installed the Safer Turn system on the NC? This is an after market system that auto-cancels your indicators after to make a turn.
It involves cutting into the indicator turn switch wiring. I am looking for some tips from someone who has installed this on a NC already

I did buy one, but after looking at the instructions and having trouble figuring out how to open up the turn signal switch on the bike (2012, manual shift), I decided to hold off installation.
I’m guessing the turn signal switch on the bike has been sealed to keep it waterproof, so it’s hard to open up. Then I was worried about “Resealing” the switch after doing the wiring mods.
I too would like to hear if anyone else has completed the installation....

According to a few folks who installed them on the ST forum, they work okay, but rely on a piece of foam to “ push” the turn signal switch back to the center position. A few folks seemed to really like the unit , seemed a bit too fiddly to me . ( as well as pretty expensive).
To each their own .

Mine came equipped with this one. Use it every ride on every turn and it wires itself directly to the brain in a week or two.

If the ride is short and not often the wiring never gets completed. That1581891278392.png can be a problem.

1581891278392.png

I have a similar one. Occasionally it malfunctions for a block or so, but not very often. The one my friend has malfunctions for miles sometimes though – and no amount of gesticulating at his rear-views nor honking my horn seems to help.

I installed Safer Turn on ‘12 NC ............works and functions perfect. It actually works better than the factory cancel system on the VFR1200x, because it works on gyro or accelerometer vs distance or time to cancel.

Cancels without error on turns and lane changes.

Install is not novice level...... foam block was not too bad. The switch is NOT sealed.
qWiring you must break wire connections at the junction connector left side front under the fairing. Install is also not expert level either , if your skills are at accessories installs like heated grips or adding power supply fuse box or checking valve clearance .......smart turn is in your wheel house.

I would definitely recommended............

Prior post on the topic:

Last edited:
I just did - they work brilliantly BUT it took my motorcycle service team about five hours to install because I have Flashers as an option on indicators. In the end, they couldn't have flashers and safe turn system so I went with the safe turn system. The unit cost me $130 and the installation $570 NZ. VERY expensive but I often forget to turn off indicators and twice it has led to a car pulling out in front of me dangerously. On the basis they may save my life, I guess that's cheap!

I just did - they work brilliantly BUT it took my motorcycle service team about five hours to install because I have Flashers as an option on indicators. In the end, they couldn't have flashers and safe turn system so I went with the safe turn system. The unit cost me $130 and the installation $570 NZ. VERY expensive but I often forget to turn off indicators and twice it has led to a car pulling out in front of me dangerously. On the basis they may save my life, I guess that's cheap!
So I am not alone when I forget to shut signals off. I usually find it on soon enough when I check my gauges but I am worried that by leaving it on by mistake I may indeed have a car pull out!!!

I find that the longer I have to wait to make my turn increases my chance that I'll forget to cancel my turn signal.
I find that after turning I’m back shifting gears and that takes away from the signal being turned off. But yes if it’s on long before turn easy to forget as well.

One of the most important things you can do to stay safe is turn off your signal.

ONE of the important aspects of bike riding is checking your gauges and review often.
IF you did that you would see that you left the signal on.

Once you do something for 21 days the saying goes, you'll make it habit.

Make a very conscious effort to cancel your signals for 2 weeks and it will as normal as shifting!!!

I find that after turning I’m back shifting gears and that takes away from the signal being turned off. But yes if it’s on long before turn easy to forget as well.
If you are new to, or newly returning to motorcycling, shifting gears may require some thought. Eventually you will probably shift gears and not even realize you’re doing it. Your mind will be free for other tasks. If you make a habit of cancelling the turn signal, it, too, will become automatic. I suggest practicing riding more before buying a turn signal cancel gadget.

My Goldwing has self cancelling signals, and I absolutely hate them. Perhaps they’re just a poor design. They often shut off before I make the turn. I have to keep reactivating them, or else I’ll be making the actual turn without a signal.

Back