• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Russell Day Long Seat for NC700

5138e4fa198e2320be74a160771e8ed9c446366797faeed0b828851acfb2dca9.jpg

we need more companies to get into the business to make the price competitive.

This hasn't worked for most motorcycle parts. I'm new to the motorcycle game and I'm always astonished at pricing for bits of plastic. I ride purely for fun as a hobby, and this has got to be the most expensive in terms of gadget pricing. The manufacturers have figured out that riders will pay so there's no need to "race to the bottom."

Just google any aftermarket part and you'll see dozens of sellers at exactly the same price. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad the WR250R aftermarket isn't being handled by companies that also cater to the BMW crowd, pricing for aftermarket is not quite as bad as it is for a lot of NC farkling choices. But some ridonculous pricing, one still cannot escape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, if you want the heated option ($170 single).
Plus 1 on getting the heated option!

I had to make a run for home to Coos Bay, OR last Friday from Cortez, CO. Left about 10am Friday with the knowledge that a big storm was due to hit the Oregon coast Saturday morning. Rode all day and all nite, trying to make it home before the big storm was due to hit. 24 hours riding, 1,290 miles, last four hours in a drizzle, made it home just before the sky began to fall and it started snowing in the passes. I really appreciated my heated RDL, never did the butt dance!

Ray

On an $8000 motorcycle spending $500 on the most important part for comfort doesn't seem like gouging to me.
My normal answer for people who think prices are ridiculous is,

"If you think they are getting rich doing this, why don't you get into the business?"

Absurd prices generate competition, which lowers prices.

The Airhawk makes me comfortable and it is a lot less than $500.

As one who has attempted to make my own custom seat, spent close to $200 on materials, and a few hours of my time, I will be purchasing an RDL shortly for my new bike. My custom seat is better than stock, but not all day comfortable.

The seats we've made at home are better than everything else, without exception. No more expensive, either, and generally somewhat to significantly less, even paying a local upholsterer to supply and install the cover. Foam is cheap and easy to work, but it takes patience to get it right, so you have to be at ease riding around on un-covered foam for a while, while you decide _exactly_ how you want it.

I used a local shop (New England Trim) to redo my seat. Went in and talked about what I wanted, dropped the seat. Two days later picked up seat in "rough draft" form. Rode it to be sure the support and fit was right. Returned it for final finishing.

They laid in a new 4 density foam structure. 4 different density foams in odd layers glued in a stack these were then sculpted to shape.

After my testing, a gel layer was worked in to evenly distribute weight and the factory cover was put back on.

Looking at it, it looks stock, but you sit on it and it is an amazing difference. I've hit a bump before that had me slam the seat pan hard enough to make it sore to sit. The new foam supports so well that you can't feel the pan at all.

Custom fit with a gel insert and still under $400. Oh, and I also have a pad made of the material used in cooled car seats that straps over the saddle to allow a little air flow on those really hot days. It looks a little goofy, but no more sweaty butt and it isn't nearly as warm to sit on as the vinyl after sitting in the sun.

Look around, the best deal might be a few towns over.

On an $8000 motorcycle spending $500 on the most important part for comfort doesn't seem like gouging to me.

"If you think they are getting rich doing this, why don't you get into the business?"

You got it all wrong - if you spend eight grand on a bike it should already have a good seat -

Any way you twist it - use my new scooter theory - they not only give you a bigger seat they give you a whole free scooter - the seat companies are trained by the rip-off tatics of Corbin who have been screwing bikers for years,

Regards!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 9.28.53 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 9.28.53 AM.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 314
What about your seat makes it better

I assume you're speaking rhetorically, rather than being unable to understand why precise fit to your individual hind end, tested and modified as needed over as long a time as needed/wanted, at a lower cost, is better.

You got it all wrong - if you spend eight grand on a bike it should already have a good seat -

Any way you twist it - use my new scooter theory - they not only give you a bigger seat they give you a whole free scooter - the seat companies are trained by the rip-off tatics of Corbin who have been screwing bikers for years,

Regards!

Every motorcycle that I've owned needed a different seat for my comfort. Goldwing included. Manufacturers can't make a seat that is perfect for everyone.

Every motorcycle that I've owned needed a different seat for my comfort. Goldwing included. Manufacturers can't make a seat that is perfect for everyone.

Looks like when it comes to the NC700 they can't make a seat for anyone. While there are only a few guys who don't have problem with the NC seat - more than likely they have no feelings below their waist. LOL

I have to agree with turbodieseli4i6. As I think back of all the bikes I've ever owned - all brands of metrics, HD, and some odd balls, even a couple of scooters (which, frankly, came the closest to having a great seat right from the get-go) I can't recall even one that I was totally pleased with. And it was always a source of frustration after the money spent on the initial purchase of the bike. But maybe that's what the manufacturers have finally conceded; they don't waste their resources trying to get the seat just right because they realize they simply can't. So they put their money into the technology, the motor, etc. and leave the rider to figure out the seat. Guess it makes sense even though it will always be a pisser for the riders, myself included. Just My Humble Opinion, er, ramblings.

(Just wish I could afford some of those really good upgrades in the seat aftermarket but truth is I can't) :(

Last edited:
The Honda Silver Wing I owned for a couple of years had a terrible stock seat. The guy I bought it from included a box full of seat pads and coverings. He had put 25 thousand miles on the bike riding two-up and couldn't take the discomfort anymore. I almost got rid of the SWing because my toes would go numb inside of 30 minutes sitting on the seat. I sent the seat to Spencers Seat Mods - Home Page - Custom Motorcycle Seats, Motorcycle Seat Modifications, Motorcycle Seat Mods to have it redone. $200 and ten days later I had a seat so comfortable I did my one and only Saddle Sore 1000 on the SWing. Stock seats suck for the most part, they are designed for the showroom, not for riding.

Old thread / post........I'm aware.
I've had an Air hawk for quite awhile, stopped using it ; never could get the air pressure correct. Always gave a "wishy-washy" feeling.......the air would leave the contact area and go to the less contacted area.....if that makes since.

Hey my friend, good to see you over here too. I recently purchased one of those air hawks for my Pillion and have had the same trouble trying to find the right air pressure. We've already spoken about treating ourselves to a brand new RDL this winter. I put nearly 20k mile on mine that went to MyCroft when we traded bikes. He had a new seat cover/foam put on it and i still find it as unbearable as the stock one. It only has a few miles, 1k or so, on it so i will be offering it for sale here with a matching Pillion cover/foam.

:{)

You guys think the NC700/Nc750 seats are bad....try riding my Kawasaki KLX 250 sf....after 10 minutes of riding on that thing, my butt (tail bone is screaming)...a 2x4 would be a better option...I placed an airhawk on the klx seat and it is better, I can go about 2 hours before my tail bone is trying to go on strike...my suzuki boulevard c50-its oem seat was good for about 2 hours, I put a mustang seat on it and I can ride all day now on that bike with no butt discomfort....

Back