• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

rpm's/frame harmonics question...

Flaferalcat

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok... Quick question to everyone who wants to answer:

Do you get a definite change in the felt (you can feel it, and or hear a deifinite change), vibration of your bike at a certain RPM?
..And at what RPM?
(Ok that's 2 questions. And yes, I'm really working some things out. ;) )

Ok... Quick question to everyone who wants to answer:

Do you get a definite change in the felt (you can feel it, and or hear a deifinite change), vibration of your bike at a certain RPM?
..And at what RPM?
(Ok that's 2 questions. And yes, I'm really working some things out. ;) )

I had a bizarre harmonic occillating "thrum" @ 3,000-3,200 rpm in 6th on my bike for about the first thousand k or so. It was driving me crazy lol. It seemed amplified when I had an empty frunk. Mine wasn't a vibration per se; but it's difficult for me to fully describe it.

Went away of it's own accord not long after the first break in mileage was over. Never did find out what it was.

Went away of it's own accord not long after the first break in mileage was over. Never did find out what it was.

Mine too. I don't even remember when it left because I avoided that RPM range as much as possible. Now it doesn't seem to matter (or I have acclimated to it).

When bikes are new, not everything has settled yet, hence the reason we have a break-in period. I can't begin to tell you how many customers I had come into my shop and complain that a new bike was giving them vibration problems. My advice to them always was to give the problem some time and to put some miles on the bike. Nuts and bolts will loosen slightly as the vibrations affect them over time/miles and eventually most unwanted feedback through the frame, bars, and footpegs will subside.

Even though I only have 400 miles on mine so far , 6th gear seems to be only good for 55-60 mph and up ; understanding it's pretty much an over drive gear.

I much prefer the feel of my engine between 2000 and 3000 rpm. The engine is just too buzzy at 4000+. I run 6th gear most of the time. That's also what DCT D mode does, so I guess it was designed for that.

I'd guess every NC would have a little different character to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

It was getting a vibration throughout the entire frame just before 4000 rpm's. In fact, it was so noticeable, I used it as a shift indicator, if I was too busy looking around. Switching to 15-40 Rotella helped a bit, but it never went away. It had the effect, when loaded with gear on the rear (about 35-40lbs total including cases), of causing the front end to pogo rather rapidly at speeds above 60-65 mph. I had to lean over the bars to get the thing to turn (maneuver) properly at speeds even above 45 mph, and even then it was sluggish. I didn't want to mention what it was doing as to not prejudice any answer I might get to my basic question.
Anyway, I traded the NCX out a couple of weeks ago, as I already have a superb touring bike, and also car now.
Thanks again!

Sorry you got rid of the 700x. Ever find out what the issue was?

I seriously doubt it was any ONE THING, but a combination. Some speculative, (Honda QC, dealer incorrectly assembling? and other abuse both real and/or possibly imagined?) some perhaps due to way I had ridden the bike over the previous almost 2 years, and what had worn. What I do know, is that nothing was loose regarding foot pegs, engine-to-frame mounts..etc. and the wheels/tires were balanced. Possibly, as you less than eloquently yet humorously stated- IT JUST HAD A PERSONALITY DISORDER! ;)

Last edited:
Never noticed anything like this on my 2015 DCT with 3,300 miles. I did recently switch from wheel weights to balancing beads and new tires and noticed things to be a little smoother but there wasn't anything annoying before the switch. I am a firm believer that you need to like what you ride without any reservations. So, if getting rid of the NCX for something different then that makes sense to me. Happy trails on your new bike and car.

Back