• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Royal Enfield May Kill its 500cc Models

admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
The End of an Era? Royal Enfield has been known for its 500cc engines for a while. The new 650 twin that’s in the company’s newest bikes is a departure from the company’s standard. However, it now seems that the company could kill its 500cc engine due to emissions. According to Live Mint, the company ...
The post Royal Enfield May Kill its 500cc Models appeared first on webBikeWorld.

More...

I find it odd that gubmint regulations are killing smaller engines.

Seems like the law of unintended consequences is coming into play again. Let's strangle something with regulations only to have the marketplace respond with something larger and less efficient to meet the consumer demands. Africa Twin engine was 'updated' to a larger size due to emissions. BMW GS is now larger due to emissions.

Heck even the old family station wagon was eliminated due to gubmint meddling as that transitioned families away from the classic Vista Crosier and into the 'Mini Van' which used more gas but was legislated/regulated as a truck instead of a car so it was held to lower standards (but that was a fleet fuel mileage issue rather than an emissions issue like we see with motorcycles). Still, the gubmint seems to be f****g up the world while trying to make it better.

It's killing old engines. Engines get bigger because we the riders refuse to buy small engines. I for one am ok with the government keeping the air clean. The minivan thing is because the government cares more about campaign contributions than the air. See coal.

It's killing old engines. Engines get bigger because we the riders refuse to buy small engines. I for one am ok with the government keeping the air clean. The minivan thing is because the government cares more about campaign contributions than the air. See coal.

I can't argue that "we the riders" refers to the majority. I'm doing my best to buy small engines. We (the family) own two 49cc, a 144cc, two 249cc, and two 670cc powered two wheelers, all relatively small engines. I'm "guilty" of owning just one large bike, an 1832cc unit. Clearly I'm in the minority, but I really like smaller engines.

Last edited:
Royal Enfield’s CEO Siddhartha Lal has already hinted at a bigger Himalayan, one fact that comes clear is that it will share the engine with the Interceptor 650 and the Continental GT 650. The 648cc twin-cylinder engine is good for 47HP at 7250 rpm and 52Nm at 5250 rpm. The engine comes mated to a 6-speed gearbox.

The same engine on the Himalayan 650 is expected to generate a different set of output figures to suit the characteristics of an adventure motorcycle. The present generation Himalayan comes with a 411cc, single-cylinder engine producing 24.5HP at 6500 rpm and 32 Nm at 4250 rpm. The engine feels puny in front of the 648cc twin-cylinder motor but it is still quite responsive in comparison to the rest of the Royal Enfield engines.

The tire size on the present-gen Himalayan is perfect for the upcoming 650cc model while the ground clearance and suspension travel will change for sure with the new frame. The bigger Himalayan will be offered a lot of design changes to overcome the limitations of the current-gen model while the pricing will be around $7000.

See “Itchy Boots” on ebay if you want to know how the Himalayan around the world trip is going....

Last edited:
ItchyBoots.......

OldCanRide,

She also has a great YT channel and either Royal Enfield, or one of their distributors, gave her a new Himalayan and she is on her second big ride and is currently in South America.

Slo_Rider

Back