• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rotopax fuel container mount

DanH

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking of mounting a 1 gallon Rotopax fuel container flat on top of my Honda OEM top box. Other than the 12 pounds of weight it would add, does anyone see any other major problems with this scheme?

OCR put 2 on the sides of his top box,if your not bouncing off-road it's probably ok.I mounted mine instead of a top box for off-road riding.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

I now use electric pump to move gas from the rear two tanks to the main tank. This makes all a lot simplier. If it ever quits raining - I will post a video.

Lots of options to carry auxiliary fuel, be it Rotopax, Summit Racing fuel cells and the like. The most common set up for the NC involves gravity fee into an altered fuel cap.
That's what I'm using currently, although I've been scratching my head about installing a permanent bung into the fuel tank to facilitate on-the-fly fuelling and retaining the "stock," filler/seat combination.

bc81d2a24b205b170bc4f3e766b08647.jpg

b76446d56950e237c369be2c03332e2b.jpg

Personally I would be a bit leery of mounting that weight on a plastic top box. I can just picture the stress fractures over time, radiating out from any mounting holes drilled, or even if the container was somehow strapped versus a solid mount, I'm thinking it would still tax the integrity of the lid material from flexing.

I'm probably being too cautious, but I have had a few plastic and metal things crack and split on me, when I thought they wouldn't. I would be askeered thinking of a rotopax letting loose while I was going down the highway :eek:

K
Personally I would be a bit leery of mounting that weight on a plastic top box. I can just picture the stress fractures over time, radiating out from any mounting holes drilled, or even if the container was somehow strapped versus a solid mount, I'm thinking it would still tax the integrity of the lid material from flexing.

I'm probably being too cautious, but I have had a few plastic and metal things crack and split on me, when I thought they wouldn't. I would be askeered thinking of a rotopax letting loose while I was going down the highway :eek:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your concerns are right on...........and let's hope there are no mishaps or accidents. Safety is for sissies :) .....but ....spilt fuel even small amounts should be a real concern and one or two gallons in accident senerio ????????

Me too! I'm probably going to get two 1 gl. Tanks like you (OCR) have. I haven't been able to figure out a suitable place for my 2 gl. Rotopax.

My extra fuel set up has now been used of over 2 years. I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I have gone down in the dirt. One time in Alaska doing over 60 mph in the dirt, I dislocated my shoulder, but the tanks stayed in place with no leaks. I have recently added the fuel pump. I no longer have to remove the tanks to pour in the gas. Now real simple.

[video=youtube;9g9B8ZajLqw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g9B8ZajLqw[/video]

Last edited:
K

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your concerns are right on...........and let's hope there are no mishaps or accidents. Safety is for sissies :) .....but ....spilt fuel even small amounts should be a real concern and one or two gallons in accident senerio ????????

I was made aware when my rotopax, that was securely bolted *and* strapped down, flew off and was dragging on my rear tire, when the washboard gravel road sheared or otherwise made the mounting bracket bolts go AWOL, lol :eek: Thankfully my backup straps kept the tank with the bike, and no fuel got out.

My extra fuel set up has now been used of over 2 years. I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I have gone down in the dirt. One time in Alaska doing over 60 mph in the dirt, I dislocated my shoulder, but the tanks stayed in place with no leaks. I have recently added the fuel pump. I no longer have to remove the tanks to pour in the gas. Now real simple.

Would you mind posting a photo of how the cans are mounted, OCR? It looks like you have a flat bar mounted under the top box and the Rotopax mounted to that with the Rotopax L brackets.

I've been scratching my head about installing a permanent bung into the fuel tank to facilitate on-the-fly fuelling and retaining the "stock," filler/seat combination.

I hope to do something similar but am willing to sacrifice the passenger seat for the aux tank. I'm thinking the best place to drill the bulkhead would be in the fuel pump plate which is mounted on the top of the plastic fuel tank.

The fuel pump is an assembly (AFAIK) that appears to be permanently attached to this top plate (which BTW is metal). In other words, the plate and the pump are a single unit and can't be purchased separately. The entire (fuel pump) assembly simply unbolts from the fuel tank. Well, that is what the service manual shows anyway..

When I dig into the bike I'm hoping to unbolt the plate and drill a hole for the bulkhead, which is exactly what I did on the GL1800. What I don't know is how much clearance there is above and around the plate for fitting an elbow, hose and hose clamp. I'll figure that out once I get in there.

I will be using gravity feed which is pretty reliable ;-)

My tank is a 3.5 gallon diamond plate aluminum (baffled) with a 1/4 NPT bung welded to middle bottom.

Should give me almost 5 hours @ 75 mph before I have to refuel!

It is <critical> that you have a method to control fuel flow from your aux tank to the main tank. I will be using a fuel rated ball valve (Russell or similar). It would also be smart to use fuel rated quick disconnects. They will allow you to remove the tank (even with fuel in it) without a spilling drop. The ball valve would be good to not only control when fuel if flowing into the main tank, but also as an emergency cutoff in the case of a leaking hose or fitting beyond the valve. Simply close the valve and the fuel flow will stop. If I incorporate the valve directly in the bottom of the tank (using the 1/4 NPT bung) I will essentially control fuel from the tank to the rest of the system.

My tank also has a vent built into the filler neck, allowing fumes (and fuel) to escape as temperature rises. Will be routing it behind the rear wheel using a 1/8 inch fuel line.

Once the red low fuel bar start flashing I will reach back and turn on the ball valve. If everything goes to plan, the fuel gage on the bike will s-l-o-w-l-y start rising and after about 15 mins I will have almost a full tank again! This will be done without stopping and "on the fly" so to speak.

I stayed with a 3.5 gallon aux tank so I wouldn't have to worry about overfilling the stock tank. Turn the valve and forget about it :)

If tapping into the fuel plate proves to be a pain in the butt, it has been suggested to simply pull the breather tube from the neck of the stock gas tank filler tube and run a hose from that nipple to the aux tank. I'm still thinking about that idea, not sure how a disconnected vent tube will impact the carbon canister, ECM and any fault codes... if at all....

Last edited:

You are probably right about that. As I look at it now, my original idea is less and less appealing.

I have personally witnessed several of those crashes,I can say that his Roto's stayed put !!.

You don't have to worry about Rotopax's bursting or breaking in a wreck. The way they are made and the thickness of the plastic is far above any thing you will see at WallyWorld. Go to their website and read about them!

Back