• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Riding position

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m searching for a new helmet and it seems some are geared for an upright ride and others are in the more tucked position. Are our bikes generally considered upright or 3/4 riding position? I know we’re not a full tuck but I definitely feel further forward than I did on my Royal Enfield

I would say I am in an upright position when I ride. Defiently not tucked. I do have bar back risers on but even before them would still say upright. For me the Arai Signet-X helmet is great. Might not be the right fit for your head shape. And they are a bit on the expensive side. But excellent quality and about the only helmet I've found that does not result in pressure on my forehead.

I would say I am in an upright position when I ride. Defiently not tucked. I do have bar back risers on but even before them would still say upright. For me the Arai Signet-X helmet is great. Might not be the right fit for your head shape. And they are a bit on the expensive side. But excellent quality and about the only helmet I've found that does not result in pressure on my forehead.
Thanks. I have looked at Arai but I can’t justify the price and they seem to lack the ability to ride with the visor cracked. I’m looking at HJC RPHA 11 or maybe a Shoei rf-sr. Trying to find the right one for me is a heck of a challenge.

Look at the WebBikeWorld helmet reviews. They have a chart or two that categorize the helmets by head shape. I ended up with the Icon AirFlite. Anyway...
My SV650s was close to 3/4 tucked. Even with the clubmans on the NC, it's way more upright. I can vary my position as I ride though, to what I'd call a 1/2 tuck on the highway, by sliding as far back on the seat and letting my arms relax.

Look at the WebBikeWorld helmet reviews. They have a chart or two that categorize the helmets by head shape. I ended up with the Icon AirFlite. Anyway...
My SV650s was close to 3/4 tucked. Even with the clubmans on the NC, it's way more upright. I can vary my position as I ride though, to what I'd call a 1/2 tuck on the highway, by sliding as far back on the seat and letting my arms relax.
Good call on Webbikeworld. I’ll check it out

Schuberth E1 is a great helmet. Pricey for sure, but will make a ride exceedingly quiet and comfortable if it fits right. I have had one for 5 years now, still fits and looks new. Washable inserts, new visors available, pre-formed speaker ports... And, gotta love a flip-up!

I found a gently used one for a pal of mine for $250 (owner assured me it had been worn twice...upon arrival I would agree). I have seen close-outs for about $400 new. Quality well worth it IMO.

My $.02
images.jpg

It's not a tucked, sport bike position. I always use HJC helmets......cheap and good.
I have just bought an HJC i90. (It is flip-up modular type maybe not the style you are looking for.) They have a good range of all types so I think HJC are worth a look. The one I bought was a good price. Here in the UK I paid £200 with a Pinlock insert included and delivered free. For me, it is probably the best helmet I've had and better than the far more expensive X-Lite I am replacing.

Thank you to all for the recommendations! Looking at the scorpion r1 air, Shoei rf-sr, Hjc rpha 70 st or maybe the Agv k6 right now. I liked the HJC i10 but I think I want to lean towards the ece standards rather than Snell. And yes I know the Shoei is a Snell certificate but it’s also a Shoei (brand biased, sue me).

I have just bought an HJC i90. (It is flip-up modular type maybe not the style you are looking for.) They have a good range of all types so I think HJC are worth a look. The one I bought was a good price. Here in the UK I paid £200 with a Pinlock insert included and delivered free. For me, it is probably the best helmet I've had and better than the far more expensive X-Lite I am replacing.
Yea, IDK why people spend a lot on helmets. HJC has been all I could ever want, and I had 9 bikes. I'm not a fan of the drop downs because it's too much plastic with light bouncing around in there............just my take on it. Plus they say it adds weight.

Yea, IDK why people spend a lot on helmets. HJC has been all I could ever want, and I had 9 bikes. I'm not a fan of the drop downs because it's too much plastic with light bouncing around in there............just my take on it. Plus they say it adds weight.
What I have found in increasing the price typically does a few things. Weight and size go down, interior gets more plush and there are occasionally a few safety upgrades such as the EQRS cheek pads.

Also, fit and finish improve which may lead to a longer lasting helmet. The only helmet I think is completely worth the price upgrade for safety is a 6D but I can’t stomach an 800$ lid that won’t fit in the frunk. I also think there’s some vanity there too

I'd say we ride pretty much upright ... the feet under the butt to me is the key.

I think with helmets, more than a lot of bike stuff, you get what you pay for. My Schuberth c3 Pro (soon getting a C5) is worth the price from a protection standpoint, and more so from a quiet and comfort standpoint. My first helmet was an AFX FX-120 ... not bad, but nowhere near as all-day comfortable and quiet as the Schuberth. Figuring the lid lasts at least 5 years or so, the price isn't that big a driver for me (given the helmet is the most important piece of kit IMHO).

Ditto @GregC - when I got my NC750S last year I bought an HJC i90 - which I was happy with in most respects except that of wind noise! It seemed to me to be a bit "leaky" around the chin area. But maybe it's my head shape I don't know.

I now have a Schuberth C4 Pro which although the same size seems to be a closer fit on my head and definitely quieter. It's difficult with helmets as although you can try them on in the shop it's not until you live with them for a while that you really find out the pros and cons, and by then it's too late to return them usually...

Can you typically return a mail order helmet? I’d like to try a schuberth, but no where close that has them for me to try on.

Can you typically return a mail order helmet? I’d like to try a schuberth, but no where close that has them for me to try on.
Most online retailers (USA) will accept a return if you don’t remove tags & stickers and don’t wear it outside.

Reactions: MZ5
I’ve never considered eBay for a helmet, for some reason, I don’t trust eBay all that much. No reason not to, never had an issue.

Ditto @GregC - when I got my NC750S last year I bought an HJC i90 - which I was happy with in most respects except that of wind noise! It seemed to me to be a bit "leaky" around the chin area. But maybe it's my head shape I don't know.

I now have a Schuberth C4 Pro which although the same size seems to be a closer fit on my head and definitely quieter. It's difficult with helmets as although you can try them on in the shop it's not until you live with them for a while that you really find out the pros and cons, and by then it's too late to return them usually...
yeah -- buying a helmet is like buying a mattress. It isn't until you're a couple months in that you can really decide if it's comfortable. :)

Back