• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ricor Intiminators installed

I used the transalp ones. I didn't cut the spacers. Might add more spacer, maybe stiffer springs at some point. Still a bit more than 25% sag. I'm 180lbs without gear.

I used maxima 5w as well. Had some around for mountain bike forks.

You must prefer a firmer or sportier ride I guess? I usually ballpark about 30% for myself. I don't do any real twisty pavement or too high speed off road to speak of, with the NCX.

LBS,

You were concerned about whether or not you should have gone with the V-Strom Intiminator's or the Transalp ones... I have good news for you after doing a few hours of searching!

You chose correctly!

Reason? The bushing that makes the Ricor fit inside the fork tube snuggly, which is necessary to make the valves work properly, is dependent on the size of the INNER diameter of the fork tube. The best way to figure out how big that is? Look at the fork seal measurements!

Well guess what? The Transalp AND the NC700x actually have the same exact measurements for a fork seal (41x54x11) and thus, the Ricor fit as you said -- snuggly and correctly. You likely would not have been so lucky with the V-Strom's collar.

The only other part is the arrangement of the shim-stack which will adjust how quickly or slowly oil flows through them (I.E., softer or harder ride), but you can buy new shims from Ricor and adjust them as you wish on your own, so you're good there!

Anyhow, since I have been unable to source a replacement front end with a cartridge fork, or an aftermarket cartridge fork, I am going to give these Intiminators a shot as well. I will be buying proper weight linear springs (hate progressive spring rates) to go in at the same time, though!

LBS,

You were concerned about whether or not you should have gone with the V-Strom Intiminator's or the Transalp ones... I have good news for you after doing a few hours of searching!

You chose correctly!

Reason? The bushing that makes the Ricor fit inside the fork tube snuggly, which is necessary to make the valves work properly, is dependent on the size of the INNER diameter of the fork tube. The best way to figure out how big that is? Look at the fork seal measurements!

Well guess what? The Transalp AND the NC700x actually have the same exact measurements for a fork seal (41x54x11) and thus, the Ricor fit as you said -- snuggly and correctly. You likely would not have been so lucky with the V-Strom's collar.

The only other part is the arrangement of the shim-stack which will adjust how quickly or slowly oil flows through them (I.E., softer or harder ride), but you can buy new shims from Ricor and adjust them as you wish on your own, so you're good there!

Anyhow, since I have been unable to source a replacement front end with a cartridge fork, or an aftermarket cartridge fork, I am going to give these Intiminators a shot as well. I will be buying proper weight linear springs (hate progressive spring rates) to go in at the same time, though!

Very much obliged for your great perspective and sleuthing on the matter! :D

I did (eventually) know about the inner diametre being the one to focus my attention on, and think of the seals being a possible (probable) source in which to determine the inner diametre of the fork tubes for cross referencing, but then dithered about that as the be-all end-all for 100% confirmation, having read somewhere that the casting thicknesses in only certain areas between two different models of bikes, even with the same apparent forks, could vary without any listed changes in part numbers or seal sizes! This spooked me a fair bit.

My choice was more based on a dart thrown at a page of Ricor Valve bike availabilities than I'd like to admit, but I did spend a lot of precious brain cells and lost hours of sleep glued to computers and out in the www. trying to make an informed decision, heehee :eek:

Very much obliged for your great perspective and sleuthing on the matter! :D

I did (eventually) know about the inner diametre being the one to focus my attention on, and think of the seals being a possible (probable) source in which to determine the inner diametre of the fork tubes for cross referencing, but then dithered about that as the be-all end-all for 100% confirmation, having read somewhere that the casting thicknesses in only certain areas between two different models of bikes, even with the same apparent forks, could vary without any listed changes in part numbers or seal sizes! This spooked me a fair bit.

My choice was more based on a dart thrown at a page of Ricor Valve bike availabilities than I'd like to admit, but I did spend a lot of precious brain cells and lost hours of sleep glued to computers and out in the www. trying to make an informed decision, heehee :eek:

Well, you guessed right! My post was really to reassure you that you made the right choice! And your pioneering made me purchase a set today!!

Well, you guessed right! My post was really to reassure you that you made the right choice! And your pioneering made me purchase a set today!!

It does make me feel better :D

I sure hope you have the same great experience I had with mine! It was incredible how much of an instant difference it made. Anything you care to mention or point out to do with your install, please feel more than welcome to show and tell! :cool:

Will do! I plan on measuring my sag prior to taking it all apart and then deciding whether or not I add preload.

Do you guys have a link of where you bought these Intimators? I would like to have a look

Thanks, guys!

my 2 cents :
i have a not so good experience with that product.the behaviour was by far worse than the Racetech competitor.
They were sliding not properly within the tube.
my 2 cents
Cheers
Julien
in 2010 i bought a couple of those pieces for my sv650S.

my 2 cents :
i have a not so good experience with that product.the behaviour was by far worse than the Racetech competitor.
They were sliding not properly within the tube.
my 2 cents
Cheers
Julien
in 2010 i bought a couple of those pieces for my sv650S.

Welcome your input, Julien :)

Were they installed by you or a mechanic?

"not sliding properly" Hmmm. Well that is a bit vague. Were they too loose or too tight, or did they not slide concentrically in the tube's bore, or...?

What measurements or steps were taken to document all install procedures and dimensions were correct?

Gpod questions LBS.... Because the way I see the product working, it shouldn't be moving within the tube at all. It should remain in place by the spring and as its compressed it should "work".

A sliding device would lead me to believe oil was able to get past the ring, thus eliminating the valve that was supposed to be working in the first place.

Gpod questions LBS.... Because the way I see the product working, it shouldn't be moving within the tube at all. It should remain in place by the spring and as its compressed it should "work".

A sliding device would lead me to believe oil was able to get past the ring, thus eliminating the valve that was supposed to be working in the first place.

When I dropped the valves down into the forks, it was not a totally sloppy fit, but it was definitely not a forcefully installed friction fit either. I could see how it has to be a fairly precise amount of tension in the tube, and I would say due to that easy sliding, I believe a small amount of oil could possibly go past the split ring on mine, without knowing anything else and how it's truly supposed to work in regards to fit in the bore and movement.

I wonder if there is any appreciable outward pressure possibly being exerted on the split ring, from the hydraulic effect of the fork oil being forced against it during cycling? Maybe the fluid takes the path of least resistance, and goes through the shim stack and inertia valve easier than around the split ring. Who knows. Not me anyway lol.

Most likely, there is a lot of room for personal interpretation, and what one guy doesn't notice, another will immediately pick up on as a non favourable trait, like Julien alludes to. Since I'm not using my bike for a track runner or canyon carver as I suspect would be more in the arena of an SV650, my slow and rather sedate pace on pavement and bouncy bimbling around in gravel and mud off road, could very well mask any shortcomings compared to the Gold Valves that he prefers.

What we don't know, is all the nitty gritty possibilities for errors in install, improper fitting parts, possible one-off model fork tube irregularities, unrecommended oil viscosity, simply a dislike for how something "feels", type of riding during this disliked observation, etc., etc.

I can only go by how I "feel" with them in my NCX, under the circumstances in which I ride. I would honestly report if I believed they sucked donkey balls, and I didn't like them. I will never say I like something, if I think it's crap, and I would make sure everyone who read my posts, knew that I thought they sucked, hee hee!

Just an update, LBS:

I received my RaceTech springs (linear, .95kg weight) and my Ricor Intiminators yesterday, along with the 5WT AMSoil fork oil as recommended by Ricor. I did not do a how-to install, my apologies to everyone, but I did install them. All in all it took me maybe, maybe, an hour. Super easy to install.

I took the bike out after installing them and resetting my correct sag (I went with 27% of travel as my preload setting, and since mine is a 2012 it has 6" of travel -- and is actually 7 1/16th inch when fully extended).

All in all I think the bike rode better, but I can't sit here and say I was superbly impressed. I mean, maybe I should have ridden a "test" just before doing it, and just after, but it wasn't a huge drastic improvement.

The one thing I will say is I notice the rear of the bike a lot more now, which might be indicative of the front end absorbing the harshness a lot better -- so in that regard, "it works." It seems more noticeable over slow-speed issues, but once you get into the high speed compression area (like 60mph+ speeds), the fork acts just like it used to. Garbage. I think I'll take them out and return them to Ricor. Honestly.

I noticed what you noticed as well, LBS, the Ricor's fit but they certainly weren't a "tight" fit by any stretch of the imagination. They didn't just fall into the tube either though, so all in all I think we're good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

Sorry it seems you didn't find them suitable for your intended use, though! :(

Since I specifically wanted slow speed compliance, I sure am happy that they turned out that way-I would have felt as you if they worked at high speed faster stuff, but were miserable in the zone I favour.

Maybe you'd have better luck with Gold Valves, but I think in the end, there is only so much you can do with these budget old tech forks...

Slightly OT but I just had Racetech rebuild and revalve my WR250R forks. These USD forks are noted for being harsh and these is lots of online about fixing revalving etc. So, I went through the normal RT questionnaire about experience, weight, bla bla. I said I wanted plush plush plush.

They feel almost exactly the same as before. Disappointed. The compression adjustment does little while the rebound does a lot. I may go from the 5WT to 2.5WT and see what happens. Or I may just ride it.

I've had mixed experiences with Racetech Cartridge Emulators. Was great for a 2001 Bonneville, did nothing for a Sportster, seemed to help a Daker (stiffer springs helped!) and you can't tell with the noddlely mess the DR650 forks are.

My beef with the NCX forks is harshness from road imperfections - holes patches, ledges, heaves. My (ex) Multistrada with basic 6" stroke Showa USD forks glided plushly over these kind of things, though it was a disaster offroad. Hmmm...

Hey people, I thought I'd add my findings too:
I installed the Ricors during the winter so I didn't have the possibility of an immediate comparison betweeen before and after, but it felt like the roads in our region were a little bit "ironed out" since I last visited them on my bike. Not fully ironed, but a little. Important clue is that I did not cut my spacers (at almost 100 kg I wanted a bit more preload), and I used Motul Factory Line 2,5 W oil in the forks, that was the closest match available in our local oil shop (I looked at the 40 degrees Celsius cSt numbers). With this setup I feel difference, mostly with harsh bumps, and mostly at high speeds (that means 100-130 km/h in my books). At lower speeds the difference is not that obvious but I feel something, but maybe that is only psychological or something. And I can confirm that the rear shock feels harder now so there must be something different with the front. Considering brake dive I must say I'm not impressed, no or very little improvement felt, despite the somewhat increased preload.
All in all I can say I did not expect a miracle and so I wasn't dissapointed when I didn't get one, but it improved my biking feeling somewhat, so I have positive feelings and that's all I wanted. :) Money well spent? Hm, maybe not the best way, but not wasted, that's for sure. :)

Thanks for the update.
Sorry it seems you didn't find them suitable for your intended use, though! :(
Since I specifically wanted slow speed compliance, I sure am happy that they turned out that way-I would have felt as you if they worked at high speed faster stuff, but were miserable in the zone I favour.
Maybe you'd have better luck with Gold Valves, but I think in the end, there is only so much you can do with these budget old tech forks...

All in all the Ricor's aren't bad, they're not a "waste of money" and it's not as if they don't work at all. They just don't do what I need them to do. For you, they seem to, and that's awesome.

The RaceTech gold valve emulators are much harder to work with, tune and install, but when done properly I'm confident I'll end up with a superior overall set up. The issue with the RaceTech is the need to drill the stock damping rod, properly design the shim-stack in the valving for your COMPRESSION needs, and then tune the REBOUND damping with oil height and weight. That usually means the forks come off at least twice, sometimes three times, while you screw around with oil weights (to slow or speed up rebound), and/or shim stacks to adjust how soft or stiff the compression rate is.

I've got pulling the forks off, apart, and all that jazz down to a science at this point -- probably took me all of 30 minutes to remove both forks, remove the ricors, replace the oil, springs, etc, and bolt it back up. So I'm not all that concerned. However, for those who want a plug-in-and-forget improvement? I'd probably stay away from RaceTech and stick with Ricors.

Back