• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Revzilla review of 2021 NC750

I just bought a new NC750X with the DCT. I'm 35 years old with 14 years of experience riding. Had 5 bikes before this, all middle-sized to fast/large bikes with standard transmissions. Don't miss the manual at all, in fact, I don't see myself buying a manual transmission ever again. I'm not lazy or 'sedate'. The driving experience in my opinion is largely improved by not having to operate the clutch and thinking of what gear I'm in. I would probably opt for manual in offroad conditions though. The NC with DCT isn't at all boring and can be really responsive and fun in sport mode.
Im glad you enjoy your Nc and find the DCT is just what you want. That’s your preference. Enjoy your ride.

Yes, that works. Once I was up there in early March and crossed the Dragon with 25F temp. I saw only one bike in 360 miles that day. I rode over to the Devil's Triangle and came back to Robbinsville via the Cherohala. Thank goodness for heated clothing. Brenda and I had the Foothills Parkway and the Dragon to ourselves one foggy day in October.

View attachment 49483

View attachment 49484
I was a photographer for many years and THAT'S a great picture.

Great video and photo for sure. I agree it is illegal and somewhat reckless, but I also know that there are some among us with the skills and training to ride that fast well within their comfort zone of risk. Just as I can't play NBA basketball, it doesn't mean Magic couldn't. I've got an S1000XR and if you want to see some great riding watch Cuban Rider on the Tail.

As for the DCT, I test rode an Africa Twin with one and am one of those that doesn't see any benefit for myself. While you can shift them manually, of course, I am perfectly happy to do that myself. I'm with one here who said I like my machines as simple as possible and the DCT adds nothing but complexity to the bike for me. We bought my wife a manual NC750 she loves, and I love.

We rode quite a few miles of gravel this weekend and she felt so comfortable on the NC. Never felt uncertain or squirrelly. All day comfortable. Perfect bike for her.

How does it add complexity? It actually does just the opposite and I bet your wife would like the dct more.
How can it not? It has switches, solenoid actuated electrohydraulic valves, a suite of sensors, a DC shift control motor and a black box to control it that the manual bike doesn't.

I like DCT don't get me wrong but it is considerably more complex than a manual.

How does it add complexity? It actually does just the opposite and I bet your wife would like the dct more.
The DCT is far more complex in design: two clutch packs built into one unit, coaxial input shaft to the transmission, dual clutch actuators, shift drum motor, many sensors, second oil filter, more switchgear on the handlebars and supporting electric cables, computer to run the transmission, parking brake added, etc. The only thing less complex than a manual is that the DCT doesn’t have a clutch lever and cable, nor a gear shift lever and mechanical linkage.

Operationaly, DCT is potentially less complex than a manual if you want it to be, but you can also make the operation overly complex with the different drive/sport modes, manual mode, paddle shift overrides, etc.

I think maybe the point being made in post 105 is that the added systems complexity of the DCT makes for a potentially less reliable machine. Most of the NC problems I read about here on the forum with the potential to strand a rider, or stymie a dealer or home mechanic, seem to be related to the dual clutch transmission. That’s the way I see it, anyway.

My preferences aside, we considered the DCT for my wife and she decided against it because she wanted to practice and be familiar with shifting for use on other bikes. I have to say, again, that shifting the manual NC 750 is the easiest shifting I've ever experienced. The clutch pull is crazy light and smooth with the slipper clutch and weaker springs, and the gearbox is butter. The engine so absurdly compliant it doesn't complain. I mean, if you can't shift an NC smoothly it's not the bike's fault.

As to complexity, I realize hypocrisy and inconsistency in myself. My BMW S1000SR is a marvel of engineering and electronics, and I love it to death. To perform as it does, requires that stuff, and I like 165HP and 0-100mph in an instant. But for simple things, I'm a big fan of keeping them simple. The NC is a "simple" bike, by design. Beautifully simple. I don't need an electric toothbrush, or a riding mower for my suburban yard. I tell my sons to be wary of making things too easy. An easy life is too often an unhealthy life. And though I'm conflating things, the link between simplicity, durability and technology is real.

How can it not? It has switches, solenoid actuated electrohydraulic valves, a suite of sensors, a DC shift control motor and a black box to control it that the manual bike doesn't.

I like DCT don't get me wrong but it is considerably more complex than a manual.
I thought he meant more complicated to ride.

Of course it's more complex mechanically (I was a mechanic) but they don't have a history of breaking down. My Dell computer is complex too, but it serves me well.
Of course there is a history of DCTs breaking down. Have you not read this forum? Shifter pins, shift motors? Do they all break down? Of course not. But contrary to your statement, there is a history of (some) DCTs breaking down.

I personally witnessed my riding partner’s (Africa Twin) DCT fail to the point of him calling a tow truck. The root cause in his case was his failure to properly install the rear wheel, but the DCT going into a fault state was ultimately why he could go no further and called the tow truck. I believe the bike could have been ridden the 20 or 25 miles back to camp, had the DCT not refused to stay in gear for more than a few hundred feet with each cycling of the key switch. The event illustrated that Honda has not sufficiently built in a ”limp home“ mode in the DCT’s design. The disabling of just one sensor brought the DCT to a non functional state.

Did you read this thread of less than 2 month’s age? The owner forked up a huge chunk of change (over half of what the whole bike initially cost) to repair his DCT NC because it would not shift.

The DCT is a fine invention and some welcome it, but like many machines and vehicles, modern new features and capabilities come with more complexity.

Of course there is a history of DCTs breaking down. Have you not read this forum? Shifter pins, shift motors? Do they all break down? Of course not. But contrary to your statement, there is a history of (some) DCTs breaking down.

I personally witnessed my riding partner’s (Africa Twin) DCT fail to the point of him calling a tow truck. The root cause in his case was his failure to properly install the rear wheel, but the DCT going into a fault state was ultimately why he could go no further and called the tow truck. I believe the bike could have been ridden the 20 or 25 miles back to camp, had the DCT not refused to stay in gear for more than a few hundred feet with each cycling of the key switch. The event illustrated that Honda has not sufficiently built in a ”limp home“ mode in the DCT’s design. The disabling of just one sensor brought the DCT to a non functional state.

Did you read this thread of less than 2 month’s age? The owner forked up a huge chunk of change (over half of what the whole bike initially cost) to repair his DCT NC because it would not shift.

The DCT is a fine invention and some welcome it, but like many machines and vehicles, modern new features and capabilities come with more complexity.
I agree, so it's a matter of do you want to gamble with having more complexity (and do you even want it). My '07 Lincoln Navigator is a good example; everything works perfectly, and I really like it, but I would have more confidence driving a F150 Ford pickup.

Back