• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Rev-limiter

arkyleo

Reaction score
Visit site
I assume these 750's have a rev-limiter, but I have not hit mine since I bought the bike about a month ago. Red markings show on the tach around 6200 rpm and the owners manual says not to operate in that range. Anyone know when the limiter kicks in?

I assume at the red markings, but after 56,000+ miles and 7 years, I have not hit it on my NC700x (redline is about the same as the 750). In 6th gear, doubt if you can get to it...I have dont WOT in 6t gear, maxed out at about 105 mph and it not get to the redline... if you do hit the rev limiter, you went past the power curve anyways...top of power curves is around 6000 rpm, give or take a few.

Thanks. I know I would never tap it in 6th, but sometimes when passing in the lower gears. This bike seems to have plenty of power for me and a very broad power band. So far I like it!

That depends; the 2016 model is about 6,500 rpm (Canadian models were 750 versions from 2014 on). Honda bumped it up to 7,500 rpm for the 2018 model but didn't change the panel's 'red line'!

That depends; the 2016 model is about 6,500 rpm (Canadian models were 750 versions from 2014 on). Honda bumped it up to 7,500 rpm for the 2018 model but didn't change the panel's 'red line'!
Really 7500 rpm...cool...I would never touch that....I have a Kawasaki klx 250 sf with a red-line of 10,500 (maybe 11,500-it is kept in storage in florida), but I have never got it over 8000 rpms...in 6th gear, it maxes out at 78mph at 7800 rpms... and I upshift at 5500-6000 rpm...

Apparently, over complaints about the abrupt rev limiter on the original 700, the rev limiter was raised on later models, as noted by HarveyM above. The red line on the tach display was not raised. Also note, that even with the 750 over the 700, the powerband peak power point remains the same. There is no more power to be had by reving higher than before. However the higher electronic rev limit reduces the chance of a surprise limiter shutdown if you shift a little late.

On my 2012 model, I may have hit the rev limiter 3 times total in 8 years, and only because I was sloppy and downshifted too far.

Good to know--7500 rpm. On some of my older (really old) bikes and cars, the first indication of the RPM limit was valve float--then disintegration. I have hit the limiter on some of the BMW oilheads and they held together fine, but will make a mental note of approx 7K on the NC, , and never hit it intentionally.

I assume these 750's have a rev-limiter, but I have not hit mine since I bought the bike about a month ago. Red markings show on the tach around 6200 rpm and the owners manual says not to operate in that range. Anyone know when the limiter kicks in?
I hit mine all the time, but I ride like an idiot. Test it in neutral, it works fine.

I hit the rev limiter once. After following a really slow driver on my favorite country road. Traffic didn't allow passing so I'm riding like 20 mph under the limit & getting frustrated. Took forever & I pinned it when he finally turned off & hit the rev limiter. Normal riding I don't hit it.

I have never hit the rev limiter, or if I did I never realised it. Imho if one hits the rev limiter a lot then perhaps they should have a different type of motor. The NC motor is all about torque with its long stroke, and long stroke motors have higher piston speeds hence the necessity for a lower rev limit than oversquare motors. It is more to prevent premature wear of the piston than the risk of valve bounce.

My experience to date with both the 700 and 750 motors is that it is possible to ride the motorcycle very quickly on a twisty road using that good torque and short shifting rather than revving it hard through the gears.

Before I bought mine, a 2012 700XA with the lower rev limit, I read a test report that said you'd have to learn to short-shift. Coming from a FZ750 with 11,000 RPM redline that wasn't happy until you were spinning 5,000 I did manage to hit the limiter 3 times in the first year. Hasn't happened since.

I have never hit the rev limiter, or if I did I never realised it.

You would realize it if you did. I hit it on my bike when I first got it. Loss of power and a stuttering bop-bop-bop of the engine. Somewhat like ABS in a car. I have to cross two lanes and get up to speed quick when I get on the highway to leave work and was not yet used to the NC

Riding against my son's friends Yamaha FJ09. Every shift in a sprint had to be to the red line. At first I had trouble doing this. Hit the limiter and I killed any gains and had difficulty catching up. Once I turned my attention to the tach I got better. Still a bit of a pain.

I wish there was a mod to increase the rev a few hundred RPM. Although some may disagree, You certainly won't hurt this engine.

Riding against my son's friends Yamaha FJ09. Every shift in a sprint had to be to the red line. At first I had trouble doing this. Hit the limiter and I killed any gains and had difficulty catching up. Once I turned my attention to the tach I got better. Still a bit of a pain.
Unless you can out ride them in curves, trying to keep up with a bike with 102HP (FJ09) with a bike with half the HP (NC700/750-around 50 HP, give or take a couple HP) could be an exercise in futility.

He is 26 and I am 62, he had to face me on his arse, the roads were very curvey, very few straights. By all means I'm not bragging about 47 bhp. My reluctance to buy was due to the lack of horsepower and jumping up to a 750 I feel is futile on Honda's part. An 850 would be more like it. Kawasaki 650 is making 79 bhp. Off road the torque is more suited. This is the slowest bike I own but the more I ride it the more I want to ride it. It's an age thing. You kind of go back to where you started.

He is 26 and I am 62, he had to face me on his arse, the roads were very curvey, very few straights. By all means I'm not bragging about 47 bhp. My reluctance to buy was due to the lack of horsepower and jumping up to a 750 I feel is futile on Honda's part. An 850 would be more like it. Kawasaki 650 is making 79 bhp. Off road the torque is more suited. This is the slowest bike I own but the more I ride it the more I want to ride it. It's an age thing. You kind of go back to where you started.
I forget exactly now but when the NC700X was released in 2011 there were 8 or 10 competitors in the 650-750 class. If Honda wanted to compete on horsepower Honda gave you other choices then and now and of course all the other brand choices except the KLR 650 have more horsepower. Honda set out to plow a different field with the NC and many still don't get that the NC was designed around volumetric efficiency not hp per liter. Nearly every detail of the NC700/750 engine is designed with efficiency in mind and this bike is more efficient than all of it's competitors then and now. If you want 10,000 rpm and 79 horsepower this bike disappoints.

Back