• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Reminder about adding mods - take note of the tools needed

MalcolmReynolds

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally ran down the tools the Honda would have put in the complete tool kit. The markets outside of the US get a semblance of a tookit, and the US market gets nothing. So after looking at that toolkit I assembled the equivalent tools to carry in my frunk. This is supposed to handle anything that comes up on the bike as far as repairs.

Well today I finally am back home and able to work on the bike. I have had saddlebags and topcase waiting on me for weeks. So as is typical the instructions with these things are not very good and I found out right out of the gate that the Honda tools list is not complete. So first thing I find is that the hand rails on the bike are attached with a 6mm key wrench, not found in the kit. Also to remove that rear seat it would be very handy to have a set of needle nose to remove the clips that hold on the seat arm that holds the seat up.

Then when I started to add the bags and other things additional tools were needed for the new Farkles/Mods. So in that process I found it would be very useful to have a 10mm socket, 13mm socket. Now there is a 10mm wrench in the toolkit so I will give them credit for that one. The 13mm wrench is not in the toolkit list from Honda so I will have to add a 13mm wrench to the kit to make sure that anything I just added to the bike will have a way to be tightened or repaired on the road. I probably should make a list of the nuts and bolts that I might need and have in my kit.

So as you add mods/Farkles to the bike pay attention to the tools needed and add them as you find that a new tool is needed that you didn't have in your toolkit. This way you don't find that you have any unpleasant surprises should you have to actually break out the tools on the road to perform a repair.

So I will be adding at least a 6mm key wrench and a 13mm wrench to my toolkit. A small metric socket set might be worth carrying. Not sure I want to carry around the extra weight, but might be worth doing.

In roughly 250,000 miles on Honda bikes I can't recall having to use a toolkit on the side of the road. Tire repair kit yes, bike repair no.

I have to say I have been pretty lucky myself. The few things I have had go wrong tools wouldn't have helped. However watching some of these guys doing the Alaska or the around the world trips make me pray for tools and access to parts and TIRES! LOL

Does anyone carry a spare shift lever? A buddy of mine has a KLR and keeps a spare. It seems like a good idea if you're riding service roads on occasion.

Does anyone carry a spare shift lever? A buddy of mine has a KLR and keeps a spare. It seems like a good idea if you're riding service roads on occasion.
Think about swapping to one of Dale's (hondabikepro) folding shift levers.

hondabikepro products

He's one of our sponsors on this forum and makes great stuff proven in the field.

Ray

Back