• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Recommended Chain,Sprocket, and Costs

Nice, was it really loose when it was in the red? any kinks? Anyhow, I will leave the sprockets alone until I see the tips getting sharp and the shape between them getting distorted, there is pictures in the owner's manual.
One thing had me worried for a little while was that after a new tires change there was some clicking from the front sprocket but the guy told me and assured me all is fine and that a chain at 20K will make some noise around the sprockets as it travels on them... not sure if this is true but the bike handles fine, my alignment is fine, I used alignment tool and the marks on the swing arm are to the MM. Chain runs true so I don't know, maybe it's normal... sometimes the clicking goes away with lubrication and as I said the sprockets and chain look good to me.

it's almost more like a knocking but faint knocking...

very strange...

Nice, was it really loose when it was in the red? any kinks? Anyhow, I will leave the sprockets alone until I see the tips getting sharp and the shape between them getting distorted, there is pictures in the owner's manual.
One thing had me worried for a little while was that after a new tires change there was some clicking from the front sprocket but the guy told me and assured me all is fine and that a chain at 20K will make some noise around the sprockets as it travels on them... not sure if this is true but the bike handles fine, my alignment is fine, I used alignment tool and the marks on the swing arm are to the MM. Chain runs true so I don't know, maybe it's normal... sometimes the clicking goes away with lubrication and as I said the sprockets and chain look good to me.

It wasn't really loose. I had more room available on the adjusters but figured it wasn't worth licking out the can to get my monies worth :) It was also the end of the riding season so I did it as part of the Winter maintenance. I have found that the kinks I have experienced I have been able to free them up just with lubrication and working the link.

I pay attention to chain sounds that are different than normal. Louder clicking around the sprocket usually meant a stiff link requiring lube to get it to pivot smoothly or the slack was getting too long on the spec.

I love it! Was just wondering when I read the X-ring chain comment. If it never comes out of adjustment - why would anyone ever change it?

Chains wear out, unfortunately. Even the X-rings will become cracked and begin to fall apart and stiffen up over time. The rings themselves are, after all, another rubber piece that gets pretty warm as you ride. So inspect your chain periodically, lube it and go farther on it if you want. I don't believe that there is much that can happen until it gets to the point where it won't bend anymore or actually breaks. So if you look at it occasionally, keep it lubed, it might last awhile. When I pulled off my original chain it still looked like it had quite a bit of life left in it (20k miles) but I was changing the sprockets and wanted to do the chain too so now I have the X-rings also. Some people are getting 40 to 50 k out of their chains and some are getting considerably less. It all depends on how, where, when and possibly why you ride. (and yes, what you ride too but I assume an NC700X in this case.)

I bought my set from Chaparral in CA. $116 or so plus tax no shipping. DID xring chain (highly regarded, but more expensive) and JT sprockets. They screwed it up by sending the 41tooth rear for the DCT model and I needed a 43. Man was I upset (bike was already apart and I had a trip planned).
After several hours of multiple phone calls, they couldn't get the 43 in a JT, so I agreed and they sent a BikeMaster branded one. Was a hassle, but they made it right.
The old chain was really worn out - the sprockets not so much but I replaced them anyway. A centerstand really helps with this job!
Note - I prefer the clipped master links to the peened designs. I also do the old dirt bike trick and add a bit of safety wire to the retainer.
I now have a surplus brandy new 41t rear...
Jim

I have new chain and sprockets (17/39) setting in the garage. Was supposed to receive the chain alignment tool too. Just called Sprocket Center and it is now in the mail. Their 520 chain kit with sprockets, DID gold X'ring, and Motion Pro tool for $169 delivered. Current chain has 26,000 plus and is pretty noisy. Also now requiring more frequent adjustments. Sprockets still look okay but wanted to try the 17 anyway so we shall see. The current chain has been lubed by Scott oiler using chain saw bar oil plus occasional cleaning with WD40. Chain still sets fine on the rear sprocket with little "lift" of the teeth but too much audible clatter.

I've always been told, clatter contributes to vibration and excess wear on seals, etc, so time for a change. Also, long been told, front sprockets spin twice as fast so wear more quickly than the rear. I'll post an update when she's back on the road.

I also do the old dirt bike trick and add a bit of safety wire to the retainer.
I now have a surplus brandy new 41t rear...
Jim

As someone that hasn't owned a dirt bike, I have to ask, Pics? I'm just curious how that works. Does it stiffen the master link? does it roll over the sprockets ok? Sorry, but I haven't actually seen this.

As someone that hasn't owned a dirt bike, I have to ask, Pics? I'm just curious how that works. Does it stiffen the master link? does it roll over the sprockets ok? Sorry, but I haven't actually seen this.
Here is what a safety wired clip link looks like. I was gonna do this with mine but they sent a rivet link by mistake, so I just went ahead and ordered a Motion Pro chain tool and riveted it on. Pleased with final priduct.

72ecf91254f14ebc3a4354911b7523e1.jpg

Also $169 for a chain tool, whew. I paid $66 for a Motion Pro chain tool on Sportbike Track Gear's site.

DID VX3 gold chain ($10 upcharge for gold, Superlite front and rear sprockets, $154 shipped from Sprocket Center. Looks good to me!

bcca91445e435b8e4a945a79cf485c3c.jpg

c6db16c174a59059f57c4aba84f5736c.jpg

6655cc968d9c16925a548ee5dfad2315.jpg

7a3ae0a3e8748adc28c61061d3680678.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
. . . Their 520 chain kit with sprockets, DID gold X'ring, and Motion Pro tool for $169 delivered. . . .

Also $169 for a chain tool, whew. I paid $66 for a Motion Pro chain tool on Sportbike Track Gear's site.

I read it that $169 bought the chain, sprockets, and a chain tool. Sounds good to me.

I read it that $169 bought the chain, sprockets, and a chain tool. Sounds good to me.
Ah, that sounded too cheap to me so it didn't register that it was combined cost.

What sprockets did you go with? I looked at the chain tool option when I bought from sprocket center and it was $89...just for the chain tool.

8fe5e61d61baf9633fa5bcf6afcf680f.jpg

So that means he got a DID chain AND sprockets for $90. Doesn't sound right.

090aa3e044795645fb7120b9c377ecc0.jpg

Nevermind, I think he just later referred to the alignment tool as a chain tool in his post, which threw me off. So he got a chain and sprocket kit, plus a $15 alignment tool for $169. Not a chain breaker/rivet tool.

Back