• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rebuilding a Russell's Day Long Saddle

I’ll be curious for your feedback on the viscoelastic foam. I _hate_ that stuff in a seat.

I’ll be curious for your feedback on the viscoelastic foam. I _hate_ that stuff in a seat.
I'm curious too, but I'm waiting for it to arrive so I will remain curious for another week?

My new diamond stitched upholstery arrived but not going to mess with that until the foam arrives.

What i know so far is that my wife is keeping my Corbin. I am keeping her R.D.L. While riding today the one thing that was confirmed to me is that I want slightly more padding in the butt contact zone of the seat. I ordered 1/2" viscoelastic foam. My hope is that it gives me just enough cushion without being annoying.

Reactions: MZ5
I loved it but it was a relatively thin layer, just on top. I reckoned it was worth a try 'cause it's an installation that's easily reversed. I'll do it again if the opportunity presents itself.

I loved it but it was a relatively thin layer, just on top. I reckoned it was worth a try 'cause it's an installation that's easily reversed. I'll do it again if the opportunity presents itself.
And this is exactly my plan, which is why I ordered the 1/2" thick foam. It will only be placed in the "cheek resting area" of the seat.

2 updates.

My wife likes my Corbin seat so she decided to keep it.

I received the cover material for "my" Russell's Day Long about 10 days ago. Got the memory foam yesterday.

This morning I cut some pad pieces out of foam for the seat. After a couple tries I was happy. I did NOT want to add any extra foam to the 'wings' that support the thighs, but I was looking to increase the "cheek" padding area.

Recovering took a bit more time and a bit more effort than I would have guessed. I was very glad that I have an electric construction staple gun, it made the recovering much easier.

Photo of the covered seat is from BEFORE it did a test sit.

Overall it is much better for me and the wife ended up happy after stealing my Corbin. Honestly this is a LOT more comfortable than the Corbin. Did a test ride today, went about 120 miles. Could have gone farther but I needed to be home. Will be leaving again on the bike later.

Re-shaped seat with the "wings" clipped, but clearly they are still there. I just took about 3/4" off of the points of the wings.

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 4.28.57 PM.png

First test fitting of the added 1/2" of memory foam. Clearly not quite right. 2nd attempt was much better.

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 4.29.12 PM.png

Recovered with the new diamond stitch fabric. It will probably need to be 'stretched' one more time, but I'll ride with it like this to the end of the season before I do the next stretch.

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 4.29.27 PM.png

Back