• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear wheel installation...

DirtFlier

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed tires on my NC700XD over the weekend and for a while, getting the rear wheel inserted into the swingarm without the caliper bracket falling was a real problem. What I finally did was use a short section of 0.750" steel tubing from my scrap bin as a dummy axle to hold the caliper bracket in place while I was installing the wheel. The end of the dummy axle was flush with the inside edge of the caliper bracket so there wasn't an interference problem with the wheel going in.

ps. 0.750" is a bit smaller than the axle and it worked perfectly. You could probably use a large wooden dowel or PVC instead of steel tubing.

Last edited:
I'm glad you mentioned that...

Getting the caliper bracket to engage is important and easily missed.
My regular mechanic missed it.

The brakes still work, but without that "tab in slot" engaged, the caliper is free to rotate backwards.
Clamp the rear brake, roll backwards, and you could rip out the rear brakes lines!

Looks like this:
brake rotor peg nc700x.jpg

I've found with the rear wheel partially in place, it is impossible to rotate or position the caliper bracket so the lug on the swingarm engages the slot. The bracket has to be correctly in position before the wheel is installed.

I changed tires on my NC700XD over the weekend and for a while, getting the rear wheel inserted into the swingarm without the caliper bracket falling was a real problem. What I finally did was use a short section of 0.750" steel tubing from my scrap bin as a dummy axle to hold the caliper in place while I was installing the wheel. The end of the dummy axle was flush with the inside edge of the caliper bracket so there wasn't an interference problem with the wheel going in.

ps. 0.750" is a bit smaller than the axle and it worked perfectly. You could probably use a large wooden dowel or PVC instead of steel tubing.
That is a great idea. I'll be using it. Has always been fiddly to get it all lined up.

Does anyone know of any videos on line that show step by step instructions (visually) on how to remove the rear tire and replace with another?

Back