• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

rear tire alignment

been riding over 40 years, most of those on shaft drive... one thing I have never seen explained. Is the slack measurement a center to center measurement, or is it outside to outside? big difference.

been riding over 40 years, most of those on shaft drive... one thing I have never seen explained. Is the slack measurement a center to center measurement, or is it outside to outside? big difference.

Center-to-center (which is the same as either top-to-top or bottom-to-bottom. It IS NOT outside-to-outside.

I installed new BS tires and did the old fashion fishing line alignment method to verify front to rear tire alignment. I then marked the top flat on the adjuster bolts as reference points for future adjustments.

With all the high tech lazer beam alignment tools available this is still a good final check verifying even their accuracy.

I just had my rear tire replaced by a guy that use to own a bike shop in Vermont. After he put the new tire/wheel on, and while the axle was still loose, he tensioned the chain. He sighted down the chain from the rear while spinning the wheel and watching the rear gear as it ran the chain. He made a couple of minor adjustments to the chain adjusters, tightened them down and then watched the rear wheel/tire spinning. I specifically asked him what he thought of the chain marks for accuracy. He said they are usually close enough unless the bike has been wrecked. I've put about 300 miles on it and it seems to be wearing even. Today I put a new front tire on. Got to his house/shop at 9:10 a.m. and 9:30 was on my way home. His speciality is carbs and classic restorations.

...tool that attaches to the sprocket versus string lines are not accomplishing the same result. Anything that attaches to the sprocket is aligning the sprockets; those which do not are aligning the wheel against some other reference point. In theory and in a perfect situation, they are one in the same.

I see your point but unless a bike has been wrecked, when the sprockets are in alignment the wheels would/should be also and vice verse. The end result is the same. Personally, I feel safer knowing the wheels are in perfect alignment, insuring the best possible tire contact patch, the lifeblood in keeping the shiny side up.

As a side note I'm running a Motobriiz oiler and am learning when a chain stays lubed it never seems to stretch.

Just remember when the bikes are crashed or fall down hard...........the alignment issue is not usually related to the swing arm to engine alignment. There is a lot more than sprocket alignment if we are now getting into handling and stability. Even a new stock bike "uncrashed" will vary on frame and wheel alignment. It could be possible to improve sprocket alignment and make front to rear wheel alignment or tracking worse.

The frame twisting, steering head alignment ( tweak) , fork twisting/bending and front tire to rear tire tracking is far more likely to be an issue.

Two of dozens of articles on alignment:

Chassis Alignment Basics

Do It Yourself, Motorcycle Frame Check

Last edited:
Accuracy of chain adjustment marks.

Just adjusted the chain on my 2014 and checked it with a motion pro rod and noticed after aligning the rear sprocket, chain and front sprocket the marks on each side of the swing are not in the same spot. Off by about 1/16 of and inch. Does this sound right ?. I have double checked everything. I have a hard time believing Honda would be off that much.

I find mine very accurate and corresponding on each side with the chain alignment rod aligning ok

I just use the marks as a reference point. I usually align the chain by eyeballing the rear sprocket from the rear to ensure that the teeth are more or less running in the centre of the rollers.

Moderator note: New wheel alignment thread merged with an older one.

Here is another thought on alignment. While the Motion Pro tool will align sprockets, what of the wheels? It's not the same thing, at least not always.

An old school trick I've been using for fifty years now is two Eight foot florescent light bulbs. With the bike on the center stand use large rubber bands to hold the tubes to the rear wheels. Wood blocks to hold the tubes up may help. Now align the rear according to a even space on both sides of the front wheel. This will assure proper contact patch alignment.

When I did this on my '76 Honda 750F I found the axel marks off by about half a notch. I scratched in my own reference mark. Using this mark while on tour to adjust the chain I was always very close to perfect alignment.

I read about this trick in a bike magazine many years back. It seems to work.

The purpose of aligning the sprockets is to reduce wear of the sprockets and chain.
If the wheels are then out of alignment, then there is something else wrong. Something between the frame, engine and front-end is out of alignment.

JT

Do I need to use a torque wrench when tightening the rear axle nuts? Also, do I need to loosen both the left and right nuts to adjust the chain tension? (the manual seems to indicate you only need to loosen the right nut). Thank you.

Use a torque wrench to tighten. 72ft/lbs. And there is only an axel nut on the exhaust side (bolt from left, nut on right). When adjusting tension use both side tension adjusters (I think they are torqued to 14ft/lbs) to keep sprockets and chain true.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Do I need to use a torque wrench when tightening the rear axle nuts? Also, do I need to loosen both the left and right nuts to adjust the chain tension? (the manual seems to indicate you only need to loosen the right nut). Thank you.

Yes to torque wrench. Got my ratchets and torque wrench at Princess Auto. I would also recommend a chain alignment tool. I use a Motion Pro.

Regarding the adjusters they have a lock nut and the adjuster nut. Loosen the lock nut so you can move the adjuster nut. When the chain is aligned you can move the adjuster nuts an even number of flats on each side so you don't have to keep messing with the alignment as you adjust.

Hope that make sense

Thank you. I adjusted the chain 2 days ago, but I have yet to buy a torque wrench. I used a 27 mm combo wrench from Canadian Tire to tighten the axle nut. I will get a torque wrench to check it.

Use a torque wrench to tighten. 72ft/lbs. And there is only an axel nut on the exhaust side (bolt from left, nut on right). When adjusting tension use both side tension adjusters (I think they are torqued to 14ft/lbs) to keep sprockets and chain true.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thank you potter. I have ordered the Motionpro alignment tool from Fortnine. Is there a trick to getting the metal brackets on the ends of the swingarms to snug up?

Yes to torque wrench. Got my ratchets and torque wrench at Princess Auto. I would also recommend a chain alignment tool. I use a Motion Pro.

Regarding the adjusters they have a lock nut and the adjuster nut. Loosen the lock nut so you can move the adjuster nut. When the chain is aligned you can move the adjuster nuts an even number of flats on each side so you don't have to keep messing with the alignment as you adjust.

Hope that make sense

Thank you potter. I have ordered the Motionpro alignment tool from Fortnine. Is there a trick to getting the metal brackets on the ends of the swingarms to snug up?

I hold them with my finger and still they don't always snug up but it does not seem to matter, I don't think it is important. what's important is to get the alignment marks to correspond on both sides and put the motion pro on the sprocket to check alignment.

Back