• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear Shock absorber

Marek.Filip

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

My question is about rear shock absorber for my NC 700s 2013.
I know it's a stupid question but is there a possibility that the shock absorber from NC 750X or NC750s ( 2016) will fit my NC?
Regards
M

I would definitely steer clear of an S designated shock as they have less travel. Ideally You need eye to eye measurement of Your OEM shock to compare against the same measurements of the other models. I have not heard of anyone doing the swap tbh as most folks just go for an aftermarket shock for the superior performance that most of them offer.

Eye to eye, NC S 302 mm ( for my 2014, 305 mm for someone else ... ), NC X <2021 about 312 mm ?

10mm doest look much, maybe it will fit...

Believe me, on the contrary 10mm is a lot. That translated to over an inch of travel lost on my X-Adv at the rear wheel, when I fitted a 10mm shorter shock (long story). The shock linkage amplifies the difference in shock length at the rear wheel. Again I recommend replacing the shock with at least the same length or even 1 or 2 mm longer if nothing exactly right can be found.

Believe me, on the contrary 10mm is a lot. That translated to over an inch of travel lost on my X-Adv at the rear wheel, when I fitted a 10mm shorter shock (long story). The shock linkage amplifies the difference in shock length at the rear wheel. Again I recommend replacing the shock with at least the same length or even 1 or 2 mm longer if nothing exactly right can be found.
It looks Believe me, on the contrary 10mm is a lot. That translated to over an inch of travel lost on my X-Adv at the rear wheel, when I fitted a 10mm shorter shock (long story). The shock linkage amplifies the difference in shock length at the rear wheel. Again I recommend replacing the shock with at least the same length or even 1 or 2 mm longer if nothing exactly right can be found.

It looks Believe me, on the contrary 10mm is a lot. That translated to over an inch of travel lost on my X-Adv at the rear wheel, when I fitted a 10mm shorter shock (long story). The shock linkage amplifies the difference in shock length at the rear wheel. Again I recommend replacing the shock with at least the same length or even 1 or 2 mm longer if nothing exactly right can be found.
Thanks for your advice.
As per Zalm reply It looks like shock from NC X model is longer about 7 - 10 mm than the mine from NC S model. You are saying longer is better than shorter. Will this have a huge impact on riding experience?
Cheers

Thanks for your advice.
As per Zalm reply It looks like shock from NC X model is longer about 7 - 10 mm than the mine from NC S model. You are saying longer is better than shorter. Will this have a huge impact on riding experience?
Cheers

Basically I am saying that if one is replacing with a non OEM shock then imho it is easier to live with a marginally longer shock than a shorter one, if You cannot get an exact replacement length. However my emphasis would be on marginal because You don't want to raise the back of the bike too high. A shorter shock will lower the rear of the bike and thereby slow the steering. A slightly longer one will have the opposite affect and will quicken the steering slightly. However if the difference in increase is small then the handling of the bike should not change much with Your normal setup. Incidentally I have always had a preference for quicker steering on my bikes and this is why I tend to use at least 75% of available spring preload available.

On the other hand with the NCx one can slide the forks up in the clamps up to 15 mm to compensate for for an up to 15 mm shorter shock thus keeping the stock steering geometry.

On the other hand with the NCx one can slide the forks up in the clamps up to 15 mm to compensate for for an up to 15 mm shorter shock thus keeping the stock steering geometry.

There is that option of course with the only compromise being a slight loss of ground clearance.

What was stated about a method for lowering the front of the NCX is true.

Back on the original question, the OP has an S model. The original question was whether a longer X model shock would fit. I don’t think the OP would lower the S rear end below S level, rather they might be, per the inquiry, raising the rear end with an X shock. To compensate for a raised rear end, the S model would not have the option of raising the front end without adding fork extenders.

Indeed, much of my postings above appear to be irrelevant because I missed the "S" in the OP's original post. I will put it down to age. :(

You could always get adjustable links for the shock, they work on all models. I used the Soupy,s lowered the back 25mm and the forks 15mm. Other then the Race Tech springs (1.00 KG)up front the rest is stock. With a lower center of gravity the bike does feal more nimble. Stock kick stand still works too.

You could always get adjustable links for the shock, they work on all models. I used the Soupy,s lowered the back 25mm and the forks 15mm. Other then the Race Tech springs (1.00 KG)up front the rest is stock. With a lower center of gravity the bike does feal more nimble. Stock kick stand still works too.
I assume your are refering to an NCX model. The OP's S model is already lower to the ground than an X, and has a shorter side stand to match.

I suppose the OP could put an X shock on an S, then use aftermarket links to put the ride height back to normal, but somehow I think that would probably mess up the Honda Pro-Link geometry. It’s probably not the way to go.

I picture the OP’s head is spinning right now with all the varied suggestions.

the OP didn't say why he wants a new rear shock. If it's because the current one is damaged and he needs an inexpensive replacement, then I understand him looking to swap for another OEM that would "fit." If, however, he's looking for improved suspension, none of the NC OEM shock absorbers are worth the time to replace, IMHO -- get a better performing aftermarket shock.

Back