• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear seat removal

Pikester

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everybody,

I have a service manual on the way, but I was wondering how you remove the pillion seat on a 2016 DCT? I am installing the rear rack to mount the rear case and the instructions say to refer to the service manual to remove the rear seat. It looked like it was the 3 bolts under the seat, but they just seem to spin when I try and loosen the nut. Do you have to remove the four bolts that also hold on the rear light/fender assembly? I appreciate any help.

Ride safe,
Pikester

Mine's a 2016 DCT, and I switch between the pillion seat & a flat rack with a hole for the gas cap. They shouldn't spin. There's just the three nuts to undo to remove the pillion seat. The hinge mechanism stays on the bike.

Thanks Harvey! I was hoping that wasn't the case. I guess I will try and spray them with WD-40 and see if they will free up. I was able to bust one loose, but the other 2 were spinning on me.

WD40 isn't the best for this type of work (Kroil or PB blaster are commonly used for frozen nuts). Some form of impact driver might be the next option (electric drill style, or manual). Impact driver - Wikipedia Worse comes to worse you can use a nut splitter. But I would be shocked that those (alloy) nuts have frozen so soon.

Last edited:
I seem to remember you have to remove the plastic under the seat to get at the other side, I could be wrong, but I think I had that issue too.

On my 2016 its been a two minute job to simply remove the three nuts, I can imagine it would be a problem if the bolts were to spin but mine are fixed in place. Its so clean under there I wouldnt think they would get seized up.

I was able to remove the seat, but I basically had to remove the cover and the foam to hold the top of the bolts with needlenose pliers, and it was still a pain! Those suckers were tight! Oh well, I am replacing with Dale's rear rack anyway, but I bought a slightly used seat from Dean, another forum member, just in case I need to switch back. Thanks for all the replies. Ride safe, Pikester.

I'm having the same issue right now (literally, I'm working on it now) with removing my 2014 pillion. The first nut came off without issue. The bolts for the other two are turning with the nut. :(

Last edited:
might want to try and carefully cut the nuts off of the studs using a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel.

I had a similar problem when removing it to replace the rear seat cover. I was able to reuse the studs with the foam and cover off. Added a bit of epoxy to hold them in place.

This is not the first time I have encountered unreasonably tough 6mm nuts and bolts on this bike. Same thing happened when trying to remove the rear tail light assembly. The captive nut kept spinning in the plastic. Same thing happening here, instead it is a stud held in by the pillion seat plastic.

Here is picture of the offending stud on pillion seat. Basically cut the nut in two and was able to use the cross cut stud with no issues afterwards. Hope this helps.

IMG_1898.JPG

Back