• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear running lights?

Thanks Stratifier! I think that and the reflective tape will ease my mind a bit.

just ordered..

Last edited:
I know that the two yellows on the front are there to frame the headlight to differentiate a MC from a car with a burnt out headlight.

I put in rear running lights on my last Honda Shadow. I had to use two front lights that had a dual filament socket in them. I simply wired the running light side of the socket into the single rear running light and the signal to the signal wires. I'm not sure if you could use simply swap the sockets or have to use the entire housing like I did. As far as two yellow lights being illegal I can't answer that but I never had any issues. You could combine some of the other statements and use the clear lens with a dual filament red bulb...

Amber is illegal out back as a running light. Just like the colors of the various stripes on the road, the colors of the lights on vehicles tell you something about the vehicle. Like which direction it's headed. :) That may seem unnecessary on a bike, but it's at least partly a matter of uniformity among all road vehicles.

I agree - it's a good thing - and will do it one day soon..

... There are lots of ways to do it ....

.... .... you might look at --- AdMore Lighting Inc.

AdMore Lighting Inc. - ADVrider

Great idea... I added so people would see my brake lights in the day time ... running light is also bright. Having a Bestem 929 with running and stop light is good at night but the Admore is one I'll never remove. Now it is not outbound like turn signals but they see the light day or night. My wife said she could never see the stop lights unless at an obvious stop light but says the Admore gets me noticed. I've never followed me but I do notice they do not ride my butt or at they least give me more room now days. The quick 3 flashes before full on stop is cool also. It does not come back on (the flash) unless brake light not on for 15 seconds after first flash. I also bought the flashing bar but my wife nixed it as really only visible at night, whereas the Admore visible all the time. Hope that helps, but opinions are like a**H**** everyone has one.

This what I have as running light 2 led strip from auto zone
my3asyra.jpg
ha8aduju.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's nice to have blinkers on it, too. I just have an extra brake light.

Not to advertise for them but the Admore has turn signals built in and are the progressive moving left -> right for right turn and opposite for Left. Looks cool on 4 way. The extra outboard bright lights like hyper lights are cool also. Anything to draw attention to the bike when stopping is a benefit. I have fellow Marshall that added hyper lights to his GoldWing and at night really gets my attention, and the Wing has tons of rear lights compared to the X. Good luck ....

I'm also going to change the question a bit ;-)

I would like to increase my visibility to drivers behind me, especially at night

It that is what you are after, try 3M Solas tape. Safety Of Life At Sea tape can be found on Ebay or any boating store near you. Liberally applied to to the back of your bike any cager will see you miles away...Even at night.... In the rain.... How do I know? I've run it on my rear panniers and have had people approach me in Interstate rest areas in the middle of the night and actually tell me how visible I was (!).

You can put the 3M Solas anywhere you want in any pattern you desire. Personally I think it is more effective at night than a wall of tail lamps.

Obviously the Solas does nothing for daytime visibility of your motorcycle.

This is how your motorcycle would look at night when approached by another vehicle:

Images snipped...

It might be hard to tell in those photos, but the patches of reflective tape stand out so much that they are almost blinding. Drivers are accustomed to seeing a red tail lamp and a couple of orange lamps on each side. That pattern doesn't even register with most people anymore. Splash a bunch of 3M reflective tape in weird patterns and a uber bright Whelen LED for a brake lamp and you will catch not only driver's eyes, but also their brains ;-)

I've used the SOLAS tape on the Frogg Toggs rain suit I wear in the same spots Aerostich places their reflective tape on their suits. If you use a small wallpaper roller on the tape the tape won't ever come off.

2 different solutions

blinker geen.jpg I've used this before and they worked great! As for the red color, I put red lens tape in the inside of my turn signal and ti was fine.

HONDA BLINKER SYSTEM SPECIAL NOTE:

In order to properly utilize the Custom LED Magic Blinkers on many Honda Motorcycles, the constant power input wire (red) must be connected to a ignition switched source (other than that for the front stock blinkers). The little running light near the headlight is a perfect power source, OR you can connect the left and right running light wires together to create a constant running light source.

The reason is because the running light wire that runs to the front signals cuts off completely when the blinkers are activated, and stays off until the blinkers are canceled. This causes the operated load (LEDs or lamps) to not work properly as the Magic Blinkers are designed to draw all power from the "running light" input wire.

Using a voltmeter, you can easily verify if you are having this problem. Simply measure the voltage on the RED input wire on the Magic Blinker to check for constant 12V power - blinkers on AND off.

2.jpg I also got these for a bmw r1200gs from Pirates bay they are on led red flash when you brake and stay solid the and would flash I believe yellow with the signal is on. Lite Buddy's for the BMW K1300S, K1200S, K1200R, R1200GS from Pirates' Lair Motorcycle Accessories at 828.628.7093 EST. I think I have a spare R1200gs signal I'll match them up sizewise and if these will fit these are the way to go! I left the resistors out and let them rapid flash I figured they made me more visable. BTW I'm new here. Just picked uop a 2014 w 673 miles on it today!!!

Hey Big Jeff, Would you care to share the source of your clear rear signal lenses and red bulbs? I would like to use your technique for more rear visability.

Thanks for reading..... Willie

Hey Big Jeff, Would you care to share the source of your clear rear signal lenses and red bulbs? I would like to use your technique for more rear visability.

Thanks for reading..... Willie

Can you see me now?

Amber/Red LEDs (cheap from Amazon) installed on the boxes with 3 wire spin lock quick disconnect wiring. Amber used for turn signals. Red used for running light. Also on my bike the license plate frame has Stop/Turn/Running light functions.

Wife's bike has Admore lights added behind the reflector lenses for a custom/factory look install. Wiring is connected by a simple 2 wire quick connector. I would like to add multi-function license plate frame to the wife's bike too for added Stop/Turn/Running light functionality.

Both bikes have Yellow/Red SOLAS directional tape for visibility during the day and the SOLAS tape reflects great at night when hit with a light beam from headlamps.

fullsizeoutput-72ac.jpg

Mine. Running LED strip lights in the top case, extra (flashing) LED brake light.

Attachments

• IMG_4022.jpg
    IMG_4022.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Running lights up front are more important than out back, IMO.
I added a set of thin line LEDs down low on my Super Cub. They look fantastic and safe.

But the headlight on my Cub has a total of 10 LEDs. A 6 quadrant in the 9 to 12 o'clock, called conspicuity lighting, 2 hi beam at 2 and 2 lo beam at 4 o'clock.
Getting a little off topic here but it is all LED, antilock front brake with key fob. Over 100 million made since early 60s.

Back