• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear huggers class 101 in session

ricksride

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never seen this asked, so here is the question:
Why do all rear huggers only cove ¼ of the tire?
It's been pretty much confirmed that most rear huggers don't really do much as far as protection or keeping the dirty stuff out.

IMHO the first company to make a hugger that covers the tire to the rear sprocket will be sold out and have a backlog of orders.

No hugger is going to cover more than 1/4 of the tire, but I assume you meant "1/4 of the 1/4 that's under tail section". :) I've been frustrated by this as well. I didn't want to waste my money on something that wouldn't provide much protection, like this:

730165127.jpg

I ended up with one of these, although I haven't had time to install it yet. Honda NC700X NC700S Integra 700 Factory M Rear Fender with Link Guard Hugger | eBay

$_12.JPG

There are lot of other models now that look like they cover pretty good.

Last edited:
One could even ask Honda why huggers are short and what good are they. They put a short one on the CBR300R. It may prevent the tire from ejecting debris directly at the rear shock, and instead depositing it on top of the hugger.

In my opinion, the style of rear "fenders" on current model street bikes, and including the NC700X, is just stupid. I hope the OEMs drop this in favor of something more functional soon.

2015-honda-cbr300.jpg

Last edited:
Skidmarx does a decent job keeping crud off of shock and underside, hugger should extend to or past axle line. Ride safe

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 693
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
IMO there no need for hugger, simple protection as dl650 or ducati has
like piece of plastic or robber cover hanging there. Honda wanted to save money even here.

The origin of the hugger was to be of hopeful (questionable) aerodynamic benefit to early 80's 500 GP bikes, first and foremost. Of secondary possible help would be keeping debris stuck to the glue-like slicks, from beaning the exposed centrally located monoshocks, but I think that would be just a fluke of one function happening to also perform another.

They trickled down to race inspired street bike models as more of a style thing, and IMHO, the OEM application of these has become more and more of a flightless bird- now they seem to be a bizarre vestigial protruberance, that is simply put on there because they have been for the past few decades. You can see how a lot of them have zero hint at any aero smoothing, no real shock protection, and certainly no grime protection.

The aftermarket has seemed to remain a bit more faithful to the original, larger size look, albeit with no real specific mention or thought to aero effects, but a vague nod towards perhaps being a shock grime protector, and a built in chain guard.

They were never meant to function the same way a front fender on a bike does, really.

L.B.S. if u were to look at most of the current GP bikes, Honda ,Ducati, still run huggers racing , must be for more than for looks, they must have learned something back in the 80's. My shock and underside of that area is still almost grime free after 3 yrs. zero rock dings on my shock by using a well designed hugger. Rubber flaps are cheap and may work just not the protection I was after .Ride safe.

I bought one off Ebay from Tailand (cheap) to keep debris off the rear shock. I had to add some black electrical tape at the front where it meets the swing arm to make it work. I'm happy with the way it works now.

I do agree that they should cover more area than the typical one does.

but not sure if that would work good offroad when riding on mud and sand, it can be clogged, can't it?

but not sure if that would work good offroad when riding on mud and sand, it can be clogged, can't it?
It depends on the hugger model. The Skidmarx has about the same clearance as the front fender, hence the tendency to clog would be about the same. Some huggers have very little clearance and would be a problem.

L.B.S. if u were to look at most of the current GP bikes, Honda ,Ducati, still run huggers racing , must be for more than for looks, they must have learned something back in the 80's.

My shock and underside of that area is still almost grime free after 3 yrs. zero rock dings on my shock by using a well designed hugger. Rubber flaps are cheap and may work just not the protection I was after .Ride safe.

Ya, I didn't say anything about race bikes no longer using them or having them for just looks, I specifically said "OEM" meaning street bikes for sale to the public, ala CBR300R, Kawasaki 650R and so on had pretty much lost their way, so to speak.

I also said that the aftermarket makers of huggers, did, by default if nothing else, make better examples, due to them more closely matching the original race bike inspired designs.

I have had a really nice custom made carbon fibre hugger/chain guard on my CBR for close to ten years now. Commuting here in Vancouver every day except when I physically can't due to more than a couple inches of snow or the occasional few weeks of bad black ice and frost, I can't say my rear shock or undertail has ever been grime free, lol

This doesn't do a darned useful thing as far as I can see, and is what I was talking about:

5gwmclmc_5zj.jpg

on this thread, look at posting #2

I wanted more protection and coverage of dirt. Here is a youtube video on showing how it performs:
https://youtu.be/Le1njpDe_qE

Ken

What happens if one was to ride in the rain at more than idle speed?

I looked at my bike today and can see how a simple piece of plastic in between the other two already there would stop anything from getting at the shock.
Am I missing something.........or is Honda?

powerbronze makes a good coverage hugger. Protects the shock which is what I was after. I pop riveted a small piece of plastic to the front to fill a small gap between the hugger and swing arm. Shock still gets wet when raining but doesn't get grim blasted.

Back