• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear Brake Issue

The exact opposite happens Pressing slightly on the rear only works the rear. Add more force and it will work the front brake slightly-to-moderately. That is how it works on the 3 pot ABS US edition. Front braking only works 2 of the 3 cylinders. You can feel this force working. Press slightly on the front brake, then press hard on the rear, you will feel the front brake become slightly easier to pull.
That's interesting - are we sure on this - if so I'm going to have to experiment some more and change my style. I too have almost given up on the back brake - partly because it's in the wrong position for my foot (too high) and I can't work out how to adjust it. but also because pressing it seems to have virtually no effect.
I have also got into the bad habit of using two fingers to apply the front brake - and I know that this will cause me problems in an emergency. Firstly I can't get enough leverage, and secondly the lever collides with my two outer fingers that are wrapped round the throttle
Mike

I remember reading a review when the bike was first released and the reviewer made a comment about the rear brake, which reflects the experiences mentioned here and that of my own. It definitely needs a solid stomp to get it working!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's interesting - are we sure on this - if so I'm going to have to experiment some more and change my style. I too have almost given up on the back brake - partly because it's in the wrong position for my foot (too high) and I can't work out how to adjust it. but also because pressing it seems to have virtually no effect.
I have also got into the bad habit of using two fingers to apply the front brake - and I know that this will cause me problems in an emergency. Firstly I can't get enough leverage, and secondly the lever collides with my two outer fingers that are wrapped round the throttle
Mike

That is indeed how the ABS linked brakes operate.

When I want to keep quick access to either throttle or front brake operation I keep thumb and index finger for the throttle and cover the brake lever with the remaining three fingers.

The exact opposite happens Pressing slightly on the rear only works the rear. Add more force and it will work the front brake slightly-to-moderately. That is how it works on the 3 pot ABS US edition. Front braking only works 2 of the 3 cylinders. You can feel this force working. Press slightly on the front brake, then press hard on the rear, you will feel the front brake become slightly easier to pull.
Mike

I complained here about my rear brake on my first ride (non-ABS) being useless but yesterday I rode it again and can generate some useful power from the rear coming up to stop signs. It does require a good push though.

Mike

The US owners manual has instructions on adjusting the rear break pedal does the UK manual not have the instructions? Loosen the lock nut and adjust with the other nut. Don't forget to adjust the brake light switch after adjusting the pedal.

The US owners manual has instructions on adjusting the rear break pedal does the UK manual not have the instructions? Loosen the lock nut and adjust with the other nut. Don't forget to adjust the brake light switch after adjusting the pedal.
I should have said I can't work out how to adjust it without stripping off either the silencer (muffler) or the footrest bracket. I can get an open ender to the locknut at the bottom, but not to the nut or nuts at the top end of the threaded bar
Mike

I should have said I can't work out how to adjust it without stripping off either the silencer (muffler) or the footrest bracket. I can get an open ender to the locknut at the bottom, but not to the nut or nuts at the top end of the threaded bar
Mike

Yep not much room. I was able to get the spanner on the top nut by going from (I think) the tire side. I could only get about a 1/4 turn but that was enough to reposition the spanner.

I'm glad mine is like that . Don't have to worry about locking up the rear wheel, unlike my former bike I really had to be careful. The rear brake was the same as the front brake, would lockup in a heart beat.

Last edited:
Guys with rear brake issues. Please remember that about two thirds of a motorcycle's braking power comes from (and should come from) the front brake. if you are trying to stop your bike with just the rear brake you are riding dangerously for many reasons. You want both wheels to slow down together during most normal driving on straight roads. Things change on downhill turns and in the dirt, but don't expect your rear brake to stop you by itself.

Had a play with rear brake, on dry road up to 40mph and hard on the rear brake, resulted in a nice fast controlled reduction in speed, no skids and very stable, so the
abs with its single linked to rear, pot on the front disc making a big difference to the 700x UK bike.

Guys with rear brake issues. Please remember that about two thirds of a motorcycle's braking power comes from (and should come from) the front brake. if you are trying to stop your bike with just the rear brake you are riding dangerously for many reasons. You want both wheels to slow down together during most normal driving on straight roads. Things change on downhill turns and in the dirt, but don't expect your rear brake to stop you by itself.

Yep.
Rear motorcycle brakes are weak relative to the front brake for a very good reason.
It's a safety feature. The physics of weight transfer.
Proper Breaking

Go over to the Ducati forum and check out the discussion about
the 150bhp Multistrada's barely functional rear brake.

I've not ever had a problem with the back breaks. Locked up the rear more times
than I had wanted to.

Mine stops just fine although not as quick as other bikes I have been on.

I had my 09' Vstrom1000 as i was passing the street I want to turn on I gave it some brake i was not stopping fast enough to make the turn then I applied more maybe to much more, rear locked, I went into a slid with the rear of the bike wanting to pass up the front very quickly, let off the brake very quickly and it corrected it self, but it worried me for a moment.

I loved the vstrom 1000 but the NC700X seems like it is a safer ride, and i dont like getting thrown from a bike it hurts.

But i am getting really fond of the NCX, I will probably keep it longer than i did the Vstrom1000

london trains

05:12 and thinking only just over an hour before I go home from work :) We are currently busy getting all the trains out to get the commuters to work in London

I didn't work there, but I remember commuting into London from Norbury ever morning. Ahhhhhhh.....

David Hough in proficient motorcycling says if the rear locks up (especially on a curve) to keep it locked or risk a high side flip. You mentioned you released the brake and it corrected. So are there situations where you should lift up the rear brake if it locks, or were you lucky?

... just trying to learn on this one... There's a lot of experienced riders on this forum.

David Hough in proficient motorcycling says if the rear locks up (especially on a curve) to keep it locked or risk a high side flip. You mentioned you released the brake and it corrected. So are there situations where you should lift up the rear brake if it locks, or were you lucky?

... just trying to learn on this one... There's a lot of experienced riders on this forum.

I would say danger of high side is only a concern in a curve and slid or if the bike is really side ways to the direction of travel with skid. Unlocking the rear wheel would be the preferred method to regain control or maintain control vs a continued rear locked skid.

Using both brakes in a controlled stop on every stop is a good habit..........so when the oh shit moment happens it is muscle memory reaction to apply both brakes. Controlled maximum braking is a learned and practiced skill.

Last edited:
Back