• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

"Ratcheting" sound in chain after new rear tire mounting

RR.......keeping moving forward in a positive mindset!. Everyone on this forum at some point over a few DECADES have had a starting point on motorcycle mechanics......EVERYONE. So, DirtFlier has a quite valid point regarding seeing the alignment marks......I'm definitely in the same boat on that. He even disassembled his and cleaned them ( I'm sure I'll do the same at some point) and he was patient enough to paint them to suit HIS needs. Patience is key in all things and taking the time to think about stuff is vital......including the reading of Factory service manuals, watching videos AND asking questions. Now, do move forward in a positive fashion.....in all regards. You have in your possession a great machine and on this forum a wealth of personal experience in motorcycle upkeep etc. Ask away.

I do 95% of my own car (and my wife's car...), motorcycle, and bicycle maintenance. I also do all of the maintenance I am legally allowed to do myself (14 CFR § 43.3) on my single-engine airplane. When I started, I had no formal training and no idea what I was dong.

I was fortunate to have a close friend who has taught me most of what I know, in large part because he has never done any work for me, but instead lends me the tools, shows me what to do, then makes me do it myself.

The key here is doing things yourself. It's the only way to learn. Do as much research as possible ahead of time, ask a lot of questions, have a friend who is knowledgable to help. Make sure you have the right tools (or are okay with extended downtime if you don't and need to buy/order them). And think about the safety implications if you assemble something incorrectly, and adjust your level of care and attention accordingly.

you are correct. It was a childish response. I was a little inebriated when I responded, I got a little drunk from the thanksgiving holiday. I was frustrated and I tend to take things a little personally. I am on the hunt for a mobile moto mechanic.
Been there, done that, there should be a T-shirt! Everything anybody has ever done, they did it once for the first time. Keep asking questions.

Off topic - but only a little..

This thread is like a case study in what a forum SHOULD look like when it comes to helping one another with our common love of all things “Motor-bike”.

I‘ve owned a wide range of makes over the years and as a result have belonged to and followed a large number of forums. And I still do. RARE is the forum whose members are as helpful and supportive as the members of this forum have consistently been. More often than not what I see on other forums (mixed in with the legitimately helpful posts) are the snarky comments, the put-downs, and the bad jokes made at the expense of the posters who are fellow enthusiasts and are looking for help and advice. And when a question is asked or an opinion offered, I find myself cringing at what I know is going to come next.

A tip of the cap to everyone here who helps keep this forum at a level far above that. What a class act.

I guess you really do meet the nicest people on a Honda...

just had to toss that in - it seems to fit!

You did the right thing. That 80 bucks will be money well spent as you get to watch and ask questions. A rare opportunity. Have the snacks and coffee waiting for him. :cool:

Back