• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ranger Point Precision fork upgrade for the NC

Interesting. I don't see anything about additional travel, though.

It also isn't clear to me that it's a proper cartridge setup: the compression side is (and apparently uses a shim stack vs the coil spring that RaceTech etc use), but the rebound side is unclear to me. It sounds to me like it has a GVE-style coil spring for the rebound side, but I could be wrong.

In comparison to cartridge kits for other bikes, such as the Traxxion AK20, the price is significantly lower.

poking around on their web site https://rppmoto.com/rpp-moto-c4-dam...eight-upgrade-kit-honda-cb500x-nc700x-nc750x/ is the option with extra travel (and it's due to extra ride height). That'd be a nice option to see on my NC. If I didn't already have GVEs I'd consider this.

Hi folks,

New to the forum, but I intend to be active as I find time. I'm also relatively new to the NC platform, but I've grown pretty fond of it. It's in regular rotation with a few others. As you might guess by the username, I'm affiliated with RPP Moto. My name is Adam Devine, and I'm responsible for designing the suspension kits you are pondering in this thread. So, as I familiarize myself with the forum, I thought I'd stop at this thread first, introduce myself, and answer any questions you have on the NC fork kits.

In brief, our C4 kits replace the entire factory damping rod units with lighter, more precisely machined aluminum units that incorporate internal rebound valves as well as top mount compressions valves (utilizing cartridge style shim stacks). In the case of the NC, our kit offers 1" of extra travel in the front fork via actual stroke length, not just ride height. The kit comes with new "dog bones" for the rear shock linkage, which raise rear ride height by slightly less than 1" to adjust balance for improved offroad manners.

Our compression valves thread into the tops of our damping rods, which we've done for two reasons: first, this seals the units in a manner similar to cartridges; and second, it prevents the compression valves from blowing off during rapid compression of the fork (the fork springs alone cannot prevent this). Increased flow through the damping rods, combined with fully tune-able shim stacks, allow for cartridge-level damping curve control.

On the other side of the equation, our kits are the first and only to ever introduce variable rebound damping control to damping rods, let alone do it at a level very closely approximating cartridge valves. The patent pending device, which appears simple enough, took months of R&D to perfect. The rebound valve incorporates a small bleed port for low speed stability control, while a coil spring loaded sliding valve uncovers more port area to accommodate greater rebound velocities. Preload on the sliding valve is adjustable to tune for various fork spring rates.

I don't know if this answers all your questions, or does so clearly, but I'm happy to answer any others. Thanks for indulging.

AD

If you're doing forks, I'd consider setting up a decent shock for the NC too.

The RSV4 shock goes in easily enough with some spacers. It's length adjustable to longer than stock, and has somewhat more travel (which would nicely match the forks). I bet people interested in the forks would generally be interested in a decent rear shock that's not obscenely expensive too... good spacers (that replace the original RSV4 spacers), and a spring/valve package, would make it bolt up, work well, and (I suspect) still be cheaper than aftermarket shocks that aren't coming straight from China. Or maybe just a spacer/spring package. As I'm sure you know, the stock NC shock is meh to begin with and doesn't age well.

It's an interesting kit, if I didn't already have GVEs I'd seriously consider this instead of them.

To clarify on travel: the extended fork length is 1" longer, right? No issues with insufficient distance between bushing points?

Good idea on the shocks. It's something I'm already noodling, though it will be awhile before I have a chance to pursue any ideas. RPP is extremely busy in the last quarter.

Are you talking about bolting an Aprilia take-off shock on the NC, or are you referring to a unit I'm not familiar with? Apologies if this is discussed elsewhere on the forum.
I agree that the factory NC shock leaves something to be desired, but when I first test rode the NC it was obvious the front needed more help than the rear, so that's where I started.

No issues with extended travel on the front forks. No wiggle or instability at speed, and no evidence of unusual wear on the bushings. We ride our test bikes pretty hard--frequent air time--and they're holding up well.

I appreciate your taking an interest.

There are a couple different Aprilia shocks available. Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs) is the thread on them. https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/n...easurements-please.html?highlight=tuono shock has various other shock dimensions. Many people use a shock off an older Tuono as it fits very easily. I fitted a 2016 RSV4 shock. The reservoir was a close fit vs the undertail but didn't quite rub. The newer Tuono shocks also have reservoirs but lack the length adjustment so IMO RSV4 is the way to go.

The max safe length was about 317mm, min length around 306mm, eyes top and bottom are the right diameter but both are too narrow so spacers are a must. Compare that to 312mm stock and it increases ride height a bit when set to max, and I think I remember it having more travel as well.

Thanks Junkie, for pointing me in the direction of those threads. Pretty good info in them. The forks on both our test/demo bikes (a 700 and a 750) are dramatically outperforming the rear shocks in both compliance and stability, so it's time to shift focus. I'll probably pick up an Aprilia shock and tinker with it until I have time to design a purpose built unit.

Incidentally, we learned some very interesting things about the GVEs (and other products) during development and testing of our C4 kits. I'll refrain from negativity, but, knowing what I know, I am extremely confident that our kits will outperform other damping rod upgrades in head to head tests. At some point I want to work with an active and respected member of this forum willing to take the time to do the tests.

Your setup is clearly significantly more advanced than GVEs (compression uses a shim stack vs a coil spring, rebound is more than an orifice), but the GVEs are way better than stock so I'm not sure I want to tear everything apart. If I was all stock and had to go into it anyway I'd likely go with your setup vs GVEs.

while swingarm angle has some impact on wheelbase, it's minor enough that it'd be well within the normal chain adjustment range

NC700X has rake of 27 degrees

if we get an extra inch of fork travel, that adds (1 in) (sin 27*) = 0.45" of wheelbase and (1 in) (cos 27*) = 0.89" of ride height

if swingarm length is 2' (I don't know what the actual number is), and swingarm angle is 10 degrees (again, I don't know), in order to add that .89" to ride height you'd need about 2.1* more swingarm angle (asin(.89/24)), which would shorten the wheelbase by 24(cos(12 deg)-cos(14.1 deg)) = 0.20"

so... the front wheel would move forward 0.45" and the rear wheel would move forward 0.20", increasing wheelbase by .25" and putting somewhat more weight on the rear wheel.

then again, I'll readily admit that I made up all the numbers for the back half of the bike, so I could be off a decent amount.

very interesting, however the RPP moto website seems to be down...
The upgrade kit is the only motorcycle part on rangerpoints main website
I would give it a shot but I am not sure if one can get any customer support/spare parts or installation instructions for that matter..

Last edited:
Back