• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Radiator Guard?

Here's the final version of what I went with. (If there ever is such a thing.)

The notable change from the earlier picture is that I disassembled the grill (took all the zip ties and tubing off) and painted it with gloss black Rustoleum. Leaving the bare metal bar-B-que grill unpainted caused it to show early stages of rust just after ONE ride!

I borrowed a design idea from the German RAD and zip tied a length of 3/4 " Vinyl tubing down the center between the grill and radiator. My thinking was that if rock should kick up, the tubing on the sides and middle will cushion the blow. Anyway, the grill doesn't flex as much as it did, especialy in the middle, with the extra support.

I also changed all the zip ties to the very small variety. I use the bigger kind only on the four corners to secure the guard to the radiator, and I was careful not to pull really hard on the zip ties. It looks neater.
frg2.jpgfrg1.jpg

Last edited:
To answer the OP's question: Why do we even wear helmets?
:p[/QUOTE]

So the bugs won't get stuck on our teeth when we smile :D

Here's the final version of what I went with. (If there ever is such a thing.)

The notable change from the earlier picture is that I disassembled the grill (took all the zip ties and tubing off) and painted it with gloss black Rustoleum. Leaving the bare metal bar-B-que grill unpainted caused it to show early stages of rust just after ONE ride!

I borrowed a design idea from the German RAD and zip tied a length of 3/4 " Vinyl tubing down the center between the grill and radiator. My thinking was that if rock should kick up, the tubing on the sides and middle will cusion the blow. Anyway, the grill doesn't flex as much as it did, especialy in the middle, with the extra support.

I also changed all the zip ties to the very small variety. I use the bigger kind only on the four corners to secure the guard to the radiator, and I was careful not to pull really hard on the zip ties. It looks neater.
View attachment 5100View attachment 5101

One question:
Will the plasticky rubber cableties MELT after some time?

I know people who love to cabletie everything, but to this HOT radiator?
:p

One question:
Will the plasticky rubber cableties MELT after some time?

I know people who love to cabletie everything, but to this HOT radiator?
:p

I was worried about that... and about the vinyl tubing. I could switch to metal zip ties for the four corners.
The heat seems to concentrate on the two black side panels and not over the radiator grill itself.
I've been on one three-hour ride (120 miles) with the pictured setup, and nothing melted or even looked like it might.
Still, I think I'll switch to the metal ties to hold the whole thing in place.... just in case!

Dog's tutorial on yet another DIY radiator guard...

For this mod, pull the vented door off any old supercomputer you happen to have laying around. I chose the back door from an Ardent Titan T2: Ardent Titan T2 Graphics Supercomputer.

I suspect a Cray or IBM would work just as well..., anyway here is the somewhat abused rear door on my favorite (and only) work bench.

ArdentBackDoor-small.jpg

Choose a section of the door for your guard. I decided to go with the vented area even though a non-vented area would have clearly provided better protection. :D

ArdentGrill-small.jpg

Cut out an appropriate piece and use the standard split VW fuel hose secured w/wire-ties, plus a little flat black paint to hide the previous door abuse.

RadGuardPaint-small.jpg

Mount the sucker on the bike (like everybody earlier in this thread) with even more, but bigger, wire-ties.

RadGuardInstalled-small.jpg

Finish up the project with a well deserved nap on your work bench while wondering if your newly installed radiator guard is going to cause your bike to over heat....

PostProjectNap-small.jpg

My 'Stainless' Steel mesh is starting to show a thin sheen of rust. I'm not going to remove it yet, but may have to try aluminum if this continues.

I will post pics when all is done but I have extended the NC front fender 9" x 5" and will put nylon widow screen over the radiator.
I do this on all my bikes and even have the screen in front of my car radiators.

Acquired a new to me 2012 last month with 1k mi. One of the first mods was to fabricate this radiator guard. Cut from a piece of perforated steel mesh, I welded on 3 tabs, two at the top and one at the bottom, painted the whole thing with black engine paint, added the rubber RV door edge molding. The "two top welded on tabs" bolt to the radiator anchor points, the bottom tab is zip tied to the center support. The whole thing costs $12. 05 05 2015 023.jpg

Acquired a new to me 2012 last month with 1k mi. One of the first mods was to fabricate this radiator guard. Cut from a piece of perforated steel mesh, I welded on 3 tabs, two at the top and one at the bottom, painted the whole thing with black engine paint, added the rubber RV door edge molding. The "two top welded on tabs" bolt to the radiator anchor points, the bottom tab is zip tied to the center support. The whole thing costs $12.

That is a very nice job you did. I'm sure someone here is going to ask if you would be willing to make others. I haven't decided if I really need one yet.

I too put on a fender extender !!!! Works good BUT I am still wanting a rad guard ....waiting for the "Alt Rider" version to be available. (Mid-June I am told, at least that's what they said when I phoned them)

Acquired a new to me 2012 last month with 1k mi. One of the first mods was to fabricate this radiator guard. Cut from a piece of perforated steel mesh, I welded on 3 tabs, two at the top and one at the bottom, painted the whole thing with black engine paint, added the rubber RV door edge molding. The "two top welded on tabs" bolt to the radiator anchor points, the bottom tab is zip tied to the center support. The whole thing costs $12. View attachment 24008

you should make some for sale. seriously. i would buy one is the fit is great with good workmanship.

cost you $12, i think if you can sell for $25 a piece

Evotech- Performance

Same here, the Evotech is beautifully crafted and material used first class. There are strips of vibration damping rubber on the mesh and side aluminum brackets, hardware is all stainless steel. Looks very solid and won't vibrate. No regrets.
7fa5bb599a8a5ec73392fe9a3d849fd5.jpg
2c8bac156c35180a92ec116e07468694.jpg

you should make some for sale. seriously. i would buy one is the fit is great with good workmanship.

cost you $12, i think if you can sell for $25 a piece
I second that idea, the finished product looks good enough for us functional type as long as you sale them cheap. $12 to make $25 to buy sounds good for everyone

I need to get a fender extender before the rainy season starts again, and after learning how much a radiator costs a radiator guard looks like a smart investment

I don't see how a fender extender is going to protect the radiator. I looked at my bike this weekend; the OEM fender ends below the radiator now (more in line with the exhaust port on the engine), so any rock being thrown up inside the fender is going to exit below the radiator-I guess wind/any vacuum created could theoretically cause the debris to go up before it hits pavement if going fast enough, but if the debris is ejected from bottom of fender, hits the road surface and bounces up, it is going to hit bottom of engine. Thus being said, my guard should be delivered today (hopefully) and I will get it installed one day this week.

Ride through mud without a fender extender, and compare it to the same with the extender. There is a lot that still slings up to the radiator without the extender.

Back