• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

R&R Rear Axle Tip

Helix

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone may have already commented on this, but I couldn't find a post dealing with reinstalling the axle on the 700X after wheel removal.

I've now gone through 4 sets of tires and have been doing something the last two times that has made reinstalling the axle much easier. The axle adjusters won't stay in place and tend to fall out about the time you get the wheel in position to push the axle into the swing-arm. Now that I've started putting some masking tape over the adjusters they will stay in the end of the swing-arm and make inserting the axle much easier.

Just a little tip that I hope will make someone else's job a little easier too.

Helix

Thank You. I am about to put new tires on. This will help. As I do all of my own tire work, for year. This will be my first on the NC 700X.

Another tip I use: I hate trying to hold the tire up and start threading the axle thru (chicken arms, not much arm strength)- I place one of those small 2 ton floor jacks, sit the tire on top, slide it in place and adjust the jack height until all the holes line up...axle slides in easier.
I use the same method in removing the tire also-no binding of tire/axle.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I have new tires coming Monday and will use these to ease the process.

BTW, I've already lost one axle nut and the right side adjuster. Surprise to go to oil the chain and see the axle hanging out 3 inches or so.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I have new tires coming Monday and will use these to ease the process.

BTW, I've already lost one axle nut and the right side adjuster. Surprise to go to oil the chain and see the axle hanging out 3 inches or so.

Self locking axle nut torqued to 72 lbft - I'm surprised it spun all the way off on it's own. Add to daily ride checklist.

I've had the rear wheel off the bike twice, both times for rear tire replacement.

The only problem had to do with having the brake caliper mount hole align with the axle and I solved the dilemma (of needing 3 hands!) by using a short piece of wooden dowel. Once the wheel was in place and axle inserted until it was flush with the right side wheel bearing, I lowered the brake caliper over the disc and got the mounting hole aligned by hand then used a wooden dowel to hold it in place. This allowed me to move to the left side of the bike and use a rubber mallet to knock the axle all the way through.

When you're old and weak, you have to devise your own methods. :eek:

Last edited:
Back