Quieter than stock?

nicecruise

Hello fellow nc enthusiasts. Have owned nc750s for approx three months, am wondering is anyone aware of a quieter slip on exhaust than the stock exhaust? I know its already a quiet bike however, just wondering have done a few google searches and couldn't find anything. I previously owned a CBR 500r and the thing was quieter than a bicycle at idle, which was great for me as I like keep quiet on early morning commutes. The nc seems more thuddier than the cbr at idle, perhaps the bigger engine? Both being twins. Thanks in advance. Safe Riding. ATGATT.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
If there was an exhaust system quieter than stock, I would consider buying one. However, a large market for quiet aftermarket exhaust systems, in general, doesn’t seem to exist. Many people like motorcycle noise, but I definitely don’t like the noise. I’ve been an NC owner for 7.5 years and have yet to come across anyone offering a quieter than stock exhaust for it.

I sometimes think that OEMs intentionally make the stock exhaust almost as loud as legal regulations will allow, because their research says that’s what buyers would want.

Mechanical noise and intake noise are also factors contributing to overall engine noise. I don’t know how much of the NC engine‘s noise is mechanical and how much is intake and/or exhaust. I just know that when I can barely hear the engine, I’ve got my ear plugs seated well.

Thunderstick

There's just no market for a quiet exhaust. The exhaust on the NC750X was tuned to be thudding and throaty from the factory, and folks still change it out for louder cans. I came from a Rebel 500, with the same engine as your cbr, but tuned differently, and it was about the same sound wise. Intake noise is another matter. When I open the engine wide, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner under the frunk! How many miles do you have on yours? I bought mine first of November and have nearly 2000 miles, as we've had an exceptionally warm winter this year.

nicecruise

Have put about 3000kms on mine so far, interesting to know I have seen the newer version I think 2019 onwards with a different looking exhaust but I expect they sound the same as mine (2018). How are you finding the NC so far any other observations? I have to say the seat/suspension is very hard. That's one thing I have noticed, I am going to look into modifying that somehow in the future.

Attachments

Thunderstick

I am ecstatic with my NC750X! I'm a big fella and the suspension is fantastic with a little added preload on the rear shock. I find the saddle perfectly fine as I prefer a very firm seat. I'm still shocked at how much better it handles than the Rebel 500. It may not have a lot more HP, but it has more grunt at higher speeds, and gets better fuel economy than the CMX500. It just does everything I need a motorcycle to do, and does it very effectively!

nicecruise

Wasn't aware preload was adjustable is this the case on NC750S? I have just checked rear shock seems to have adjustable cog however tool kit not including adjuster tool. Might have gone missing...