• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question about replacing the headlight bulb in Honda Elite 80

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure where to post this thread. It does involve my Non NC700 motorcycle but it's also an electrical question.

I have a 1986 Honda CH80 scooter. The headlight went out on it and the light is no longer available from Honda. The headlight originally was replaceable as a single unit with the bulb integral to the glass lens and reflector inside. Some of us older riders remember these were called sealed beams and were what US spec vehicles were supplied with prior to the mid 1980s when DOT began allowing fixtures with replaceable bulbs. During the 22 year production run of the Elite 80 Honda changed to a headlight with a replaceable bulb but those OEM lights are not available as new stock either. With the one I have the entire unit was replaced when the hi or lo beam filament burned out. Mine just quit working altogether so I guess the ground wire inside the lamp broke. I made sure there was power to the light in both the hi and lo modes by connecting the three wires to a halogen headlight bulb that fits in a NC700X. A standard H4/9003 bulb. Upon starting the engine the bulb lit up albeit dimly in both hi and lo. I proceeded.

Well, this light is shaped specifically for the Elite 80 and has a peculiar shape. A regular sealed beam for a car doesn't fit nor do those have the metal tabs that secure it to the OEM light frame. A few original ones are available on eBay and such but the pricing is more than I want to spend without trying to repair this one myself. I decided I had nothing to lose by cutting off the external part of the integral bulb and to my surprise the part that was left behind has a hole that the H4/9003 bulb fit press fits right into. The original specification was 25W/12V and the new bulb is 55W/12V so I thought the new bulb would throw much more light but it doesn't and that brings me to the point. The scooter is wired so the only light that is on when the key is ON and the engine OFF is the taillight/brake light and turn signals. As soon as the engine starts and the internal electrical system starts to produce 12 volt current the headlight and instrument lights light up. The new bulb lights up when the engine starts but the light remains dim and does not shine brightly. Is it because the bulb is 55w instead of 25w?

Honda CH80 Elite 80.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

I seem to recall some old bikes had a separate generator winding for the headlight. The headlight did not run off the base 12 volt battery circuit but came on when the engine was running due to that separate winding. Did you or can you measure the voltage at the lamp when the engine is running? Perhaps the special winding, if it exists, or maybe a rectifier went bad or has a bad connection.

Another thought came to mind is that if there is a separate headlight generator winding, it may not have the capability of driving a 55w lamp brightly.

I have a service manual for it and it does give information on checking the charging system, the alternator, and the rectifier/regulator. I will get around to the diagnostics and update.

At rest voltage is 12.2 - I know the battery is weak but it does start the scooter. Idle voltage is 12.4 and cruise rpm voltage rises to 14.9 - 15.0. That seems high to me but I'm not familiar with the charging system. The manual gives no guidance either.

Back