• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question about Kaoko and Barkbusters

TomInOregon

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have the Kaoko throttle lock installed and it's been working fine for months now. I just tried to install my Barkbusters with it and I don't have a bolt long enough to go through the barkbusters and throttle lock. I even went to many hardware stores looking for one that will fit and found a hex head 6X1X100 but the head doesn't work well with the recessed hole on the barkbusters, nor does it seem to really hold the barkbusters backbone securely against the throttle lock. Am I missing some hardware? There are no instructions that I can find online dealing with installing the barkbusters and Kaoko throttle lock together. The included instructions for both only mention installing their respective parts, not both together. I'm getting really frustrated with this. Thank you for any help.

So I have the Kaoko throttle lock installed and it's been working fine for months now. I just tried to install my Barkbusters with it and I don't have a bolt long enough to go through the barkbusters and throttle lock. I even went to many hardware stores looking for one that will fit and found a hex head 6X1X100 but the head doesn't work well with the recessed hole on the barkbusters, nor does it seem to really hold the barkbusters backbone securely against the throttle lock. Am I missing some hardware? There are no instructions that I can find online dealing with installing the barkbusters and Kaoko throttle lock together. The included instructions for both only mention installing their respective parts, not both together. I'm getting really frustrated with this. Thank you for any help.

Per Twisted Throttle this is the Kaoko Throttle Lock that is compatible with Barkbusters. I was looking to get this and a pair of Barkbuster Storm

Kaoko Throttle Lock Cruise Control for Kaoko Throttle Lock Cruise Control for Honda XL1000V Varadero, XRV750 Africa Twin, XL600V, XL650V, XL700V Transalp, NC700X, Suzuki DL650 V-Strom & DL1000 V-Strom with Barkbusters Handguards - TwistedThrottle.com

I ordered the Kaoko from Twisted Throttle as well. Really liked it. The TT website catalog at that time said it would work with the Barkbusters. When I decided to order the Barkbusters, I called TT and they again said they would work together. They were wrong. Their original literature did not point out that the standard Kaoko would not work with BB's. I contacted TT and talked to them about it. They did change their website afterward but would not exchange Kaoko I bought for the proper one even though they admitted that they told me they would work together. This is absolutely unacceptable customer service. BTW I had already bought Givi Trekkers and mounts plus addition items from them. I will not purchase from them in the future. If a retailer will not own up to and correct their own mistakes, instead letting the customer suffer, then it is truly "Buyer Beware" at Twisted Throttle.

Subsequently I removed the Kaoko and installed the Barkbusters because I prefer the hand protection over the throttle lock. I will look for a different solution from another retailer.

When I ordered my Kaoko, I originally got the wrong one that did not work with Barkbusters. After a call to Twisted Throttle, they replaced it with the correct one. So, the one I have now supposedly will work with the Barkbusters, but I don't have a bolt that will work with the Barkbusters. I am trying to find a 6X1X100mm Phillips Flathead (or any head that will work with a recessed hole) in stainless. I can find shorter ones, but 100mm length is hard to find. Even with the bolt I managed to find, the head just digs into the aluminum when tightened, so I need something for the recessed hole. If I get it working, I will post my solution here. Oh, and thanks for the link Old guys rule. Unfortunately, those only went to 80mm, so they are too short.

?

M6 x 100 Stainless Countersunk CSK Allen Bolt 4 Pack | eBay

I know it's a 4-pack, it's from a far off foreign land shrouded in secrecy and myth, and it ends up being as spendy as the other bolt mentioned, but maybe somewhere to start. :)

At least you can get a description to plug into other search engines and see if there is a closer supplier of fasteners.

I never knew "CSK" was an abbreviation for countersunk. I mean it makes perfect sense of course, but I never would have known to search for that term. :eek:

Careful- this may not work as the threaded part may not be long enough. You want " machine screws" that are threaded all the way, not machine bolts only threaded on the end.

A few posters have touched on this subject. There are two Kaoko throttle locks for the NC700X. One works with the Barkbuster handguards and one does not. I would be you have the latter. Here are both of the parts. NC700X - Honda - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com Check your receipt or call us directly; if You bought it from Twisted Throttle, we can confirm which unit you have. If you have the wong unit I suspect that the offset created by the longer bar end will throw the inside mount into a location where you might have trouble bolting it to the handlebars. If you want to discuss the installation feel free to call our customer service team 855-255-5550.

WITH Barkbuster Handguards: KAO.KBB200REV1

kbb200_01_web.jpg

WITHOUT Barkbuster Handguards: KAO.HND100

hnd100_web.jpg

Kevin

In this case, I believe it will work. The original is not threaded all the way and the 100mm one I have has enough threads to work. Yes, threaded all the way would be better, but these should work. I think I will also need a metal sleeve to insert into the end of the Kaoko so that the Barkbuster backbone sits securely against the end of the throttle lock and has something to push against to hold it securely onto the handlebar.

A few posters have touched on this subject. There are two Kaoko throttle locks for the NC700X. One works with the Barkbuster handguards and one does not. I would be you have the latter. Here are both of the parts. NC700X - Honda - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com Check your receipt or call us directly; if You bought it from Twisted Throttle, we can confirm which unit you have. If you have the wong unit I suspect that the offset created by the longer bar end will throw the inside mount into a location where you might have trouble bolting it to the handlebars. If you want to discuss the installation feel free to call our customer service team 855-255-5550.

WITH Barkbuster Handguards: KAO.KBB200REV1

View attachment 17234

WITHOUT Barkbuster Handguards: KAO.HND100

View attachment 17235

Kevin

I definitely have the second one (the WITHOUT Barkbusters model). That's odd, though, since I originally incorrectly ordered the wrong one and had to exchange it in order to get it to work. I will have to look at the packaging if I can find it to confirm the model number on it, but I definitely have the wrong one. Does the top one pictured use the factory bar end weights?

After looking at my invoices, it looks like I did order the correct Kaoko to begin with (the KAO.KBB200REV1). I couldn't get it installed when I tried (before I purchased the Barkbusters), so I had to call the vendor for help. Whomever I talked to told me that I had ordered the wrong one and did an exchange for me and sent me the KAO.HND100. I installed that and have been using it for the last 8 months or so. Now that I have the Barkbusters, I will have to do some modifications to make it work, but I think it will be usable if I can find a few hardware parts.

FYI for anyone who cares, I have installed the Barkbusters with the non-Barkbusters Kaoko throttle lock. On the left side (from sitting on the seat), I used the stock bar-end weight and simply added the Barkbuster using the factory phillips head bolt. On the right side, I had already changed out the bar-end weight with the one included in the Kaoko kit. At the end of the Kaoko throttle lock, there is a hole where the allen-head bolt goes through the Kaoko and into the threaded end piece (the gray part shown on the KA0.HND100 picture above). I purchased the longer bolts mentioned above and also used steel spacers to take up the space in the hole in the end of the Kaoko. With the spacer and the longer bolt, the Barkbusters on this side sits flush against the Kaoko and allows it to apply pressure against the Kaoko. I can post pictures if anyone needs them for their own install.

Tom, do you mind if I enquire as to the dimensions of the metal spacer that you used. There are quite a few sizes for sale on that well known auction site!
Offhand, I don't know the dimensions. I just took the Kaoko into a hardware store and placed spacers in the end until I got one that was exactly right. If you can measure the depth of the hole at the end of the Kaoko (not the hole the bolt goes into obviously), that will be the size you need. The spacer should have a large enough inner diameter for the bolt to go through, but also large enough outer diameter to not move around too much. Sorry I can't offer more information.

I believe the bolt I used was a Metric cap bolt. The threads are 6mm X 1.0P X 100mm. Realistically, you can use anything longer than 100mm, since it will go completely through the bar end weight. 110mm or 120mm long will work just as well.

Tom

Back