• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Puig windscreen / Barkbuster Storm Clearance Mod

Bamo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I have gotten several emails from people asking about my windsheild/handguard combo and interference. I had not modified either and although the interference was heavy in a parking lot when you were trying to push the bike, it was never an issue when I was riding. But I really miss having the ability to lock the steering and I also wanted the maneuverability back. So today bordem and alcohol prevailed and I decided to cut some stuff up. It was way better than I expected and although I did lose a little bit of cleanliness by cutting the taper out of the handguards I think it looks fine. So here are a few pics. Clearance is pretty tight so I would say this is about the minimal amount of trimming you could do to make a Puig Touring screen work with Barkbuster Storm handguards. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20130802_173010.jpg
    20130802_173010.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,028
  • 20130802_173024.jpg
    20130802_173024.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 716
  • 20130802_173027.jpg
    20130802_173027.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 591
  • 20130802_173039.jpg
    20130802_173039.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 707
  • 20130802_173106.jpg
    20130802_173106.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 818
Wow, great job on the smoothness of the windscreen cutting, Bamo! :eek:

Say, how close does the aluminum bar of the hand guards, come to hitting your instrument pod? With my Acerbis-style ones, the gaurds actually juuuust hit the underside of the instrument pod at full lock left and right. Not a big deal, and alleviated if/when I put my Rox risers on, but just curious how close the Barkbuster ones come to hitting in stock position.

The Barkbusters hit the cluster the same as yours. If I push the handle bars to the stop, the cluster will shift in its rubber mounts. I think if I took a little off of the backbone it would clear, but it is not worth it to me. Thanks for the comments.

Just thinking out loud....anyone ever thinking of trying out different handlebars? Pro-taper or the sorts? Although it would probably exacerbate this issue.

Honestly I used a dremel with a sander bit to carve into the windsheild. I got it mostly cut out then turned it up very high and used it lightly to even out my cuts. As for the handguard, I used a cutter bit and the smoothed it out with the sander just like on the windsheild. The I used a small handheld torch to clean up the edges of the handguards. I used one hand to hold the dremel when cutting the windsheild and with the other I held the sheild to dampen vibrations. No cracks.

How did us bikers get by before the dremel? Just got finished cutting the neck off a blue glass bottle and smoothing off the edges , to make my son a guitar slide.8.jpg

SmileyGuitar.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Why shucks folks, all real cowboys carry a pair of Vise Grips and duck tape in their saddle bags. That way when we get pitched, we get up, brush off, Vise Grip it here, and duck tape it there, and then get right back in the saddle. And Ride 'Em Cowboy3.jpg

SmileyCowboyGreenHat.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
On Antique MC Cannonball last year an old timer looked at my son's Scout and commented he had a nearly perfect setup. Hanging off the back were duct tape and electrical tape for repairs, and if he needed to walk, sandals. All he was lacking was zip ties and JB Weld. I told him to look in right saddlebag where he found the zip ties and JB Weld. He then declared it the perfect setup. :)
2nc2y9z.jpg

Old Indian Motocycles (not motorcycles) never die, their just in someone's museum begging to be let loose to ride and ride and ride!8.jpg

SmileyClap.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back