• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Problem mounting Oxford heat grips

BrianSPC

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

I am mounting Oxford Touring heat grips, but they are really tight to put on the handlebar, do I need do sand down the grips a bit so they fit the handlebar ?

Mine were a tight fit but they went on. In fact, the left grip went on tight enough during my test fit that I just left it there with no glue. A year later and it hasn't moved. On the throttle side you could sand down the plastic tube if needed but tight is better than loose.

Sounds weird but using hairspray works great for installing grips. Spray the inside of the grips with it. Acts as a lubricant for sliding them on and then works like a glue when it dries.

I have now mountet them... The left one went on with a little oil, and I didnt need the glue, it was very tight. The right one, I sanded it down soo it was 25.5mm and the it went on like i should, I put on some of the glue.

Tomorrow I will do the electrical wirring, and then im done ;-) I have mountet the control panel on the right side because I have my phone holder on the left side, I will post som pictures when im done.

I had to file down the outside bit of the white plastic throttle body to get the right Oxford on (it was essentially the same OD as the ridges on the outside of the throttle body). Once I did that, it the Oxford went on. It was quite tight, but I used the glue anyway. Left side was very easy. Wiring was also easy (other than messing with that f#$%ing battery bolt).

Sounds weird but using hairspray works great for installing grips. Spray the inside of the grips with it. Acts as a lubricant for sliding them on and then works like a glue when it dries.

What is this "Hair" you speak of?
Hair.jpg

And what is the purpose of spraying it?

Does it keep the hair attached like it does grips?

Should I get some?

I have also used hair spray on my motorcycles and bicycles to mount and attach grips.
Sometimes just using water is adequate.

J
I have now mountet them... The left one went on with a little oil, and I didnt need the glue, it was very tight.
I would never use oil in mounting handgrips. When the handlebars get hot the oil will thin and become more slippery. And the oil will work to soften and degrade the rubber grips. You may experience some problems in the future.

Back