• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

pressure drop

duk2n

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,

It's my first bike with tubeless tyres.

I'm having pressure drop in the front tyre. About 0,3 bars per week. As I have revised the tire and didn't found the cause, and the rear tyre keeps its pressure pretty well, I can only think it's dropping from the valve seal.

Guys, do you think it is a good idea to inyect a little bit from one of those cans to repair punctures? I don't want to ruine the rim...

It doesn't drop from the valve stem, already checked. I believe it's between the valve and the rim

Thanks anyway

I wouldn't use the can sealers unless I was on the side of the road with an emergency and that was my only solution. They are a royal mess to clean up when the tire is changed. I would recommend that you first positively locate the problem. If the problem is the seal between the valve stem and the wheel, then I would break the tire down and replace the valve stem. Five dollars in parts and some time. The other opportunities are limited:

1) The valve stem (replace)
2) Between the rim and the tire beads (break the beads, lubricate, and re-set the beads.)
3) The tire itself (tubeless tire patch, unless on the sidewall of the tire, if so, replace the tire)
4) A porous wheel. (remove the tire and apply sealer to the inside of the wheel)

I test them first with a soapy water solution to look for bubbles around the suspect locations. If that does not find it, then complete water immersion (baptism) is called for.

Ever find out what it was?

My front leaks pretty slowly but its doing it. My rear had about 5lbs in it when I got to work today. Don't see a puncture, but its leaking at about 1lb per hour as I've been checking it periodically while at work. I was wondering why the rear suddenly was so loose after I swapped bars/steering positioning. LOL

Ever find out what it was?

My front leaks pretty slowly but its doing it. My rear had about 5lbs in it when I got to work today. Don't see a puncture, but its leaking at about 1lb per hour as I've been checking it periodically while at work. I was wondering why the rear suddenly was so loose after I swapped bars/steering positioning. LOL

If your losing air that fast my money would be on a puncture in the tire somewhere

Well, when I left work on the 20th, I added another couple of pounds it had lost, then used a small screw driver to try and tighten the valve. Seemed like it moved slightly and it has been holding better thus far. I need to find an actual stem tool of valve cap with the tool on it.

I just found a similar situation on my rear tire. We're finally getting some good riding weather out here where I shoulnd't have to deal with fog in my morning commute. So after several weeks of no riding I clean and lube the chain and check air pressures in the tires a couple days ago. When I checked the rear tire it had only 10psi in it. So checked the tire for punctures and couldn't find any and ran out of time to mess with it some more after airing the tire back up. So today after work I checked the tire and it was down to ~35psi. So I started checking things with soapy water, like the valve stem thinking that would be it, but no. Then I found this...

2013-02-13_16-15-43_991 by jde95tln, on Flickr

So, my question is. Should I air it up and ride it? Would riding it heat up the tire and make it seat again? Or don't ride it and take it to the dealer to fix it before putting any mileage on it. I was hoping to ride tomorrow to work, but I get up at 3am and ride 50miles to work on a two lane highway with not many places to pull over, but if I can make it to work I do have a portable compressor I can hook up to the battery and air up the tire for the ride home.

To ride or not to ride?

I just found a similar situation on my rear tire. We're finally getting some good riding weather out here where I shoulnd't have to deal with fog in my morning commute. So after several weeks of no riding I clean and lube the chain and check air pressures in the tires a couple days ago. When I checked the rear tire it had only 10psi in it. So checked the tire for punctures and couldn't find any and ran out of time to mess with it some more after airing the tire back up. So today after work I checked the tire and it was down to ~35psi. So I started checking things with soapy water, like the valve stem thinking that would be it, but no. Then I found this...

2013-02-13_16-15-43_991 by jde95tln, on Flickr

So, my question is. Should I air it up and ride it? Would riding it heat up the tire and make it seat again? Or don't ride it and take it to the dealer to fix it before putting any mileage on it. I was hoping to ride tomorrow to work, but I get up at 3am and ride 50miles to work on a two lane highway with not many places to pull over, but if I can make it to work I do have a portable compressor I can hook up to the battery and air up the tire for the ride home.

To ride or not to ride?

Try overinflating it by about 10 lbs. Use a rubber mallet and tap the rim until it reseats and doesn't blow spit bubbles anymore. Sometimes this method works, but sometimes you'll have to break the bead and clean the seat.

I've been chasing a slow leak in the rear tire too. No signs of foriegn objects, so I'm thinking it's probably a bead leak too. Once confirmed, I will just break the beads, clean the tire bead/rim and put on some bead sealer:

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-picture2778-beadsealer.jpg

You should be able to get it for under $10 at your local autoparts store.

WGW

I've had that happened on 2 bikes and car. took the wheels off and had the tyres refitted no more leak after that.

I've been chasing a slow leak in the rear tire too. No signs of foriegn objects, so I'm thinking it's probably a bead leak too. Once confirmed, I will just break the beads, clean the tire bead/rim and put on some bead sealer:

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-picture2778-beadsealer.jpg

You should be able to get it for under $10 at your local autoparts store.

WGW

Thanks, looks like that may do the trick. How hard is it to re-set the bead if one were to take the tire off and try it in their garage at home.

Thanks, looks like that may do the trick. How hard is it to re-set the bead if one were to take the tire off and try it in their garage at home.

Depends on your air compressor. If you have a decent one that will allow you two push 80 - 100PSI operating pressure (not maximum inflation) then it shouldn't be a problem at all. If you are trying to use an automobile style "tire inflator", that may be a problem. Since it's a bead leak, I'd think the Honda dealer would repair it under warrenty. Might be worth a call to your dealers service department. Should be pretty obvious that this is not something you caused. That is, unless the rim is bent or something like that.

Think I just may have to check mine this weekend.

WGW

Depends on your air compressor. If you have a decent one that will allow you two push 80 - 100PSI operating pressure (not maximum inflation) then it shouldn't be a problem at all. If you are trying to use an automobile style "tire inflator", that may be a problem. Since it's a bead leak, I'd think the Honda dealer would repair it under warrenty. Might be worth a call to your dealers service department. Should be pretty obvious that this is not something you caused. That is, unless the rim is bent or something like that.

Think I just may have to check mine this weekend.

WGW

Yeah, I'll probably just go to the dealer. I have a big enough compressor I just don't have the tools to break the bead properly. So I'll leave that up to the professionals.

Well, look familiar?

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-nc700x-stuff-picture2786-bubbles.jpg

Guess I'll be sealing some beads too. :) Probably explains why my gas milage isn't as good as others. Since I've been running a chronically low rear tire, it certainly can't be helping my gas mileage.

New social group - The Bead Leakers.... :)

WGW

Last edited:
Wonder how common this is? Is it due to the tire or the rim? And why start now? I've had 4k trouble free miles so far. Wasn't until I let her sit for a few weeks then it leaks...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back