• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Preparing for holigan 10day 2700 miles

Your avatar photo shows what appears to be OEM side bags. Is that the case (no pun intended)? That might matter when it comes to suggesting top case mounting methods.

The cargo carrier you see in place of the rear seat is most likely the one made by HONDABIKEPRO. Is is very well made but would not fit your requirement of being inexpensive.

Just Google "showkey mod" for a suggestion on how to remove the forward slope of the stock seat at minimal cost.

Is your old trunk a popular brand that might have specific mounts available?

Last edited:
Your avatar photo shows what appears to be OEM side bags. Is that the case (no pun intended)? That might matter when it comes to suggesting top case mounting methods.

The cargo carrier you see in place of the rear seat is most likely the one made by HONDABIKEPRO. Is is very well made but would not fit your requirement of being inexpensive.

Just Google "showkey mod" for a suggestion on how to remove the forward slope of the stock seat at minimal cost.

Is your old trunk a popular brand that might have specific mounts available?
Yes, OEM side bags that came wirh the bike so I guess my only option would be the oem rear trunk bracket sold on ebay for about $140?

It is a generic made in china that came with my last bike, it has 4 generic holes at the bottom for screws, am thinking I will use a piece of wood to help install it, I just need to decide on a bracket and I think you just answered my question :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yes, OEM side bags that came wirh the bike so I guess my only option would be the oem rear trunk bracket sold on ebay for about $140?

It is a generic made in china that came with my last bike, it has 4 generic holes at the bottom for screws, am thinking I will use a piece of wood to help install it, I just need to decide on a bracket and I think you just answered my question :)

If your bike already has the rear carrier side rails, you would need to buy the rear carrier plate (shown below on the left) for $120.

Post a picture of the rear of your bike.

IMG_0125.jpg

If your bike already has the rear carrier side rails, you would need to buy the rear carrier plate (shown below on the left) for $120.

Post a picture of the rear of your bike.

View attachment 33468
Yep, that's exactly the situation, I was just hoping for a cheaper alternative, but will be ordering the plate this week, and next I have $150 for a windshield solution, but which one?

Yep, that's exactly the situation, I was just hoping for a cheaper alternative, but will be ordering the plate this week, and next I have $150 for a windshield solution, but which one?

Yep. Just be aware your bike has to already have the modified grab rails, as shown onthe right in the post above. They are a mod needed to mount the side bag brackets, so they should already be there.

Yep. Just be aware your bike has to already have the modified grab rails, as shown onthe right in the post above. They are a mod needed to mount the side bag brackets, so they should already be there.
IB, it would be nice if a photo could show us exactly what your grab rails look like. Hard to tell from your avatar.

Ray

Just went outside to take these photos, and it felt like such an Ohio/Illinois fall day, quiet, wet, windy and not a soul in sight, but am in the middle of spring here in Florida, amazing :)

I onced lived up that way about 5 years ego and although I don't like the snow and cold, I do miss the mid west and wish I could go back there...

My personal believe is that when ever a place gets over crowded it looses its primitive feel and ambiance, some times I can still feel and smell the ambiance of when I grew up, certain days, just walking outside for a brief moment can transport me miles aways years away to a time and a place when everything was so much better.

That is why I love the weekeds and certain holidays like Thanksgiving, everyone disappears and I get to indulge in desolation, a short break from the constant and hustling and busting that the average day has turn into where everyone is out in a rush to get somewhere.

Anyways here are the photos of my current setup, I believe I am only missing the plate.

Isn't she beautiful parked by the garden right by my kitchen door, at times I just look out to indulge :)

Much better setup then what I had when I was living in an apartment and had to rent a far away storage unit...
IB, it would be nice if a photo could show us exactly what your grab rails look like. Hard to tell from your avatar.

Ray
d0adf45746e850e82ee0ea41bafbbef2.jpg
7e07235e2fb84a1ef66accfebfaadd04.jpg
59c05dce14ab2e97681af2db7185a74d.jpg

Yes indeed, $120 gets you a plate to mount between those rails. Than you can directly mount a Honda top box or drill it up and mount something else yourself.

It's odd what weather you're having in Florida. We're having sunny Florida weather in Illinois today. I must be the weird one, but I HATE summer sunshine. Cloudy and 65*F is my favorite. Well, isn't that what we prefer indoors? I don't sit under heat lamps in the house, so why would I want to be in the sun outdoors? I should move to the PNW.

Last edited:
Wow snow at this time of year, that is amazing...

Well, I think I like all weather depending on my emotional state. What is happening with my life at any particular time ties very well with the kind of weather I prefer.

I live in country north Florida close to GA border, very different than Miami Florida that everyone imagines, both in weather and population. Here we can taste very often the feel of the north.

Working outside in the middle of the day under the Miami sun is something very undesirable, but waking up for an early morning sunshine walk holding hands with a better half that is lovely and very much desired.

Now, being a car hauler, in the middle of the 2015 winter blast that Massachusetts showcased, waking up at 3 in the morning with temp close to zero to fight my way in the snow to the rail yard, and then start loading car on to a frozen deck coverd in ice 13ft above the ground, battling frozen hydrolyc pistons that don't want to move all day long for 12hrs 6 days a week, that is not the kind of fun I want to indulge anymore, I rather have what I have now here in beautiful North Florida.

Now, living in the mountains, well stablished, working from home, watching the snow fall outside and surrounded by a wonderful wife and kits, that is a dream I would like to live.

For me is kind of a mix feeling of so many emotions, I like new begenings, the start of a new place and low populated areas.

I met a beautiful gal in Ohio, I moved to go stay with her and those were two beautiful years which I didn't mind the cold because they were warm winters and I was in love, she craved being spoon until she fell asleep, that was sweet, we got a Miata and we travel a lot with the top down.

Then she lost her job and we decided to move closer to her family for support back in Aurora Illinois in August, so I got to experience the Illinois fall season, as a delivery driver, crusing the streets of rich neighborhood, that was beauty that can not be described.

Getting lost in the solitude of Wisconsin on those huge wide highways that no one seems to travel, arriving at corporate parks to do deliveries and spending 15 minutes trying to find a soul to come open the doors, that was awsome and sad at the same time because that was the beginning to the end of a beautiful relationship and spending so much time alone on the road away from her while she was at home with her family feeding her stuff...

It was late in the fall, winter was coming, I felt lost in the middle of nowhere, away from family, and very sad, so all those wonderful travels lost in north Illinois started to turn really gray.

As you can see, all weather can feel good or nasty it all depends...

And that is exactly why an engaging in this adventure, with my lovely Ohio gal, I spend a beautiful fall roaming the corner where NC TN GA meets.

I always wanted to go back there on a bike, but Massachusetts was so far away and I was afraid of doing it all alone...

My health is declining so not sure if 2700 miles on a bike will be an option for me much longer.

I know live closer to that area, a 5 hour ride and am in...

I now seem to have the right bike for the job.

And I met a group of old seasoned riders that share the same love for safety sight seeing, photography, camping and motorcycles, so I won't be doing it alone.

Seems like all the ingredients have presented themselves at this moment except for the money which is never available for me, but I am willing to make the sacrifices.

I am doing this and will be riding the whole thing, every single bit of it, and will be posting here as I make progress.

Looking forward to camping next to a river next to my bike, waking up to the sound of the water flowing...

Looking forward to camp fires after a long well ridden day and just sit back in the middle of no where.

Looking forward to the feelings I onced experienced when breathing the air in that part of the country.

Looking forward to living again even if it is just me and my bike lost in nature.

I just want to do it in as much comfort as possible, eliminate as much wind fatigue, seat fatigue and vibration fatigue.

Yes indeed, $120 gets you a plate to mount between those rails. Than you can directly mount a Honda top box or drill it up and mount something else yourself.

It's odd what weather you're having in Florida. We're having sunny Florida weather in Illinois today. I must be the weird one, but I HATE summer sunshine. Cloudy and 65*F is my favorite. Well, isn't that what we prefer indoors? I don't sit under heat lamps in the house, so why would I want to be in the sun outdoors? I should move to the PNW.
Where can I buy this for $120? Straight from Honda?

The very best mod that I did to my NC750 was to raise the front of the seat. It's amazing and not real hard to do. There are pictures and instructions on this site, look for seat slope.
The second best thing that I did was to add an electric solenoid to open the frunk with a button. You can also simply get a spare ignition key cut without a Chip in it and cut it down to fit in a small knob to keep in the frunk lock while you drive. Taking the ignition key out to open the frunk for money for tolls etc, gets to be a pain. It helps a lot! Good luck on your trip!

Last edited:
Full helmet or 3/4 open face helmet?

I still have my full helmet from when I used to ride my SV650, but ever since I got the Sportster and now the NC, all I wear is my open face helmet, but must of my riding is in town. I must admit that the few times I hop on the freeway, I am always concern of a car spitting back a proyetile object into my face.

I once tried to ware the full face helmet on the NC, and the wind buffering was unbeatable.

For some reason the buffering doesn't feel too bad with the open face and I just like wearing it, having your face into the wind is part of the experience I don't like to miss out.

But.... this trip is a whole different animal, not sure what to expect, I am following a group, we might be doing a lot of highway to get there...

It might rain, it is the mountains, it might still be cold up there to have your face exposed all day long...

So...am thinkig of getting the Amazon puig windshield for $110, it should be taller and wider, more protection, safer for the open face...

The same goes for the jacket, I love my summer riding jacket, but what if it gets too cold, am going to miss my winter jacket...

All and all I better be safe than sorry, but I can't pack two of everything...

So far I am thinking

Full face helmet even if I don't like wearing it and winter jacket just in case it gets to cold, how is the temperature of the skyline drive this time of the year?

I got the tent, sleeping bag, minimalistic air mattress, and an extra tarp in case it rains.

I wanted a minimalistic chair but couldn't find one.

Deodorant, toothbrush kit, soap, towel, 5 underwear, 3 tshirts, two jeans, 1 sweater to also be used as pillow, bugs spray and mosquitoes ring, first aid kit, head flash light, small blanket, two rachet straps. 1 roll toylet paper,

The frunk, GPS, usb charger, keys, wallet, maps, snakcs, water, small collection of basic tools

There is more but I have not gotten to it yet, but feel free to add to the list and or suggest, looking for ideas to make sure I don't forget anything important.

Back