• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Power Outlet Wiring question.

woppyvac

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All! I have a power outlet that was installed by the previous owner but the wiring was never affixed. I'd like to finish the wiring so I can use this for cell phone/gps charging. However, I don't want to wire directly to the battery terminals. I've researched as much as I can but all I've been able to decipher is that there is simple way to wire the positive feed so it is only activated when the bike is 'ON' but I can't find photos or actual placement of this magical area... Apparently, it is where all Honda's upgrades for the bike would have been wired had the bike come with heated grips, etc. - but heck if I see/know what to look for. Any help fellas?

Not sure if it helps but this link looks like the exact model the prior owner purchased... 2 1A USB Waterproof Motorcycle Power Port Outlet Socket for Honda Harley Cruiser | eBay

The Honda heated grips or 12 volt outlet connect to the Honda accessory harness. In this pdf linked below, refer to the part about the relay and the accessory harness, then substitute your own outlet in place of Honda's. The harness and relay do not come standard on the bike. You can buy them at a dealer, or on line at a place like procaliber.com (most likely the lowest price).

http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08V71-MGS-A30.pdf

Thanks. That is a tad more intrusive than I'd prefer for this mini project. Anyone think of any downside to just bolting to the batter terminals? I don't suspect it could drain the battery while running etc. correct?

Thanks. That is a tad more intrusive than I'd prefer for this mini project. Anyone think of any downside to just bolting to the batter terminals? I don't suspect it could drain the battery while running etc. correct?

The only downside to direct connection is if you forgot to turn off or disconnect the accessory when the bike is parked.

Whether it's connected to the battery direct or to a switched circuit, the drain on the battery while the bike is running is the same. There would be no drain.

If connected direct to the battery, it should be fused right near the battery to protect the wiring. I believe that outlet you have comes with a fuse holder, but it's too far away from the battery to be proper.

Last edited:
I bought an el-cheapo from eBay for like $20. It has a 12v outlet and 2 USB outlets. I wired it directly to the battery. It has an inline fuse, but it also has an on/off switch. I've had it on my bike for about 2 weeks now sitting in the garage. I fired it up 2 days ago no issues.

From what I can see, if you get one that has an on/off switch, there's no reason to fear a direct connection to the battery. The inline fuse is a good idea as well. Seems to work just fine from the short tests I've done too.

From what I can see, if you get one that has an on/off switch, there's no reason to fear a direct connection to the battery. The inline fuse is a good idea as well. Seems to work just fine from the short tests I've done too.

the accessory connector shown has a 12v cig lighter socket and a USB. USB is 5VDC, so there HAS to be some form of regulator to get the voltage from the 12 volt area (anywhere from 10v to 15v or higher). To do that most of the engineers designing the power connector will use a voltage regulator chip. if you hook directly to the battery unswitched, that little 5V regulator chip will be draining your battery to a very small degree even with nothing plugged into it. it may never be a problem, OR it might.........

leaving a phone charger in the bike overnight might just kill a weaker battery. If it were me, I'd do the mod that gets it on the switched circuit.

(and then I'd add a few extra leads, to add the next accessories so I don't have to re-open the tupperware the next time I want to add accessories)

only one man's opinion.....

Another option are battery banks, if you had two of them you could use one while the other is charging in the frunk. I've no experience with it but seems like it would run a camera or GPS, maybe both, all day. You would still need a 2A USB power outlet in the frunk to recharge it on the go. This is a bulky 10000mAh unit but there are smaller lighter packs in the 3000mAh range that may suit the purpose. Available everywhere, I found this at Costco.

[video=youtube;7DFGOptYL0s]7DFGOptYL0s[/video]

[video=youtube;7IKS7reJWm8]7IKS7reJWm8[/video]

Last edited:
the accessory connector shown has a 12v cig lighter socket and a USB. USB is 5VDC, so there HAS to be some form of regulator to get the voltage from the 12 volt area (anywhere from 10v to 15v or higher). To do that most of the engineers designing the power connector will use a voltage regulator chip. if you hook directly to the battery unswitched, that little 5V regulator chip will be draining your battery to a very small degree even with nothing plugged into it. it may never be a problem, OR it might.........

leaving a phone charger in the bike overnight might just kill a weaker battery. If it were me, I'd do the mod that gets it on the switched circuit.

(and then I'd add a few extra leads, to add the next accessories so I don't have to re-open the tupperware the next time I want to add accessories)

only one man's opinion.....

The product I purchased has an on/off switch for the USB side. So even if that portion would still be causing current flow without an accessory plugged in, the switch on this product opens the circuit and stops the current flow.

This is what I purchased/installed:

Power Outlet.JPG

I prefer to connect a 12v outlet directly to the battery. Fused of course to the capacity of the outlet's wiring. There are times I wish to leave my phone, helmet communicator, iPod, etc. locked up and charging while I'm off the bike, say in a restaurant or taking a break. I trust myself not to leave it on overnight. I use a 12v female outlet in the frunk that we used to call a cigarette lighter and then use adapters or chargers in the outlet as necessary for the particular device. Things like auxiliary lighting and heated grips are wired to switched power with the ignition key ON.

My plan for when my NC700XD arrives is to outfit it with a Neutrino Power Distribution System and a new lithium battery to power heated grips, aux lights, heated liners, GPS/Phone Charger/USB outlets, 12 frunk socket, radar detector, etc...:

Arboreal Systems Neutrino Motorcycle Power Distribution System Review - webBikeWorld

I'll also be putting in the sub-harness/relay kit and tapping the ignition-on wire out of that so I don't have to hack into the main wire harness.
I want all my electrical mods to be easily removable in-case of warranty issues or I sell the bike.

Thanks All. I believe the winner is the power outlet with a built in On/Off switch. After seeing that I just kinda went 'Duh....' LOL

Thanks All. I believe the winner is the power outlet with a built in On/Off switch. After seeing that I just kinda went 'Duh....' LOL

Yup. And if it doesn't work out, you're out $20. Plus, I didn't have to do any drilling or anything. Hooked it right to the battery and was able to fish it through right to where I mounted it on my left handle bar. Total install time was about 15 minutes.

To all:
I added a temporary power outlet to my frunk on a pigtail for a ride to DC. Fused it and connected directly to battery (I also do not want to change bike existing wiring). Works fine with a plug-in USB converter that I unplug when not wanted to avoid aforementioned drain.
I ordered one of these for $2 off eBay but it had not arrived:

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...0240&category=10064&pm=1&ds=0&t=1459678824637

I will modify a phone case (samsung note 2) and this housing to join them and combine into one mount. Pretty sano install expected. Will send pics.

The product I purchased has an on/off switch for the USB side. So even if that portion would still be causing current flow without an accessory plugged in, the switch on this product opens the circuit and stops the current flow.

This is what I purchased/installed:

View attachment 28918
Do you have a link to your purchase? It’s exactly what I’m looking for. Thank you.
John in Colorado

Back