• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Potential owner seeking advice from current owners

redbike2

Reaction score
Visit site
Very experienced rider (30 years riding, mainly sport bikes).

Presently I use my bike as principal transportation from 4/1 until the snow falls - as follows:

1. commute 140 miles daily (70 out, 70 back) - all highway.
2. ride from massachusetts to ny for business every 2 weeks
(approx. 225 miles each way; down in the morning and back in the evening).
3. other days, use for general street commuting.

I was able to test ride the bike today on the highway for approximately 45 minutes.

First, i liked the ride (congratulations all of you, it's a really nice bike).

I had 3 issues.

1. windscreen provide insufficient wind protection on the highway.
2. 6th gear generated significant.
3. The seat appeared like it could become uncomfortable on a longer ride.

SOME QUESTIONS TO PRESENT OWNERS:

how do feel about the nd700x for this application?

Any comments on these issues?

which windscreen provides the most protection from buffeting? which windscreen do you recommend? is the Honda tall windscreen provide enough protection from wind buffeting? (I am 5'10" tall).

do you have vibration in 6th gear?

after how much time does the seat become uncomfortable?

has anyone attached highway pegs directly to the frame? which ones? if not, how to the frame, any other highway peg attachments?

any reliability issues?

does anyone have 50k miles (80k kilometres) yet?

will I average above 60 mpg (app. 3.96 litres per 100 kilometres)? How about, 65 mpg (2.62 litres per 100 K)?

How is the bike 2 up?

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Windscreen - MadStad
Vibration - only when lugging it.
Seat - is terrible. I use an Air Hawk medium
Highway pegs- Kyrakyn 1.35" for without crash bars
50K - not me
Mpg 60+ - easily if you stay around 70 mph
2 up- not good for passenger ( bad seat) bike will handle it though.
Very reliable!

Very experienced rider (30 years riding, mainly sport bikes).

Presently I use my bike as principal transportation from 4/1 until the snow falls - as follows:

1. commute 140 miles daily (70 out, 70 back) - all highway.
2. ride from massachusetts to ny for business every 2 weeks
(approx. 225 miles each way; down in the morning and back in the evening).
3. other days, use for general street commuting.

I was able to test ride the bike today on the highway for approximately 45 minutes.

First, i liked the ride (congratulations all of you, it's a really nice bike).

I had 3 issues.

Sounds about right for the stock screen.
Only for most people.

Ok I guess... but how you feel about it is probably more important.
after market seats and windscreens are readily available.
which windscreen provides the most protection from buffeting? which windscreen do you recommend? is the Honda tall windscreen provide enough protection from wind buffeting? (I am 5'10" tall).
I like my madstad.
No. a note about sixth gear remember the bike is geared for economy, treat 6th like an overdrive gear (downshift when you want to accelerate) and you'll be fine.
I can ride ~6 hours with occasional breaks and regular stretching on the bike and still be able to walk fine.... much after that and I start walking funny...

has anyone attached highway pegs directly to the frame? which ones? if not, how to the frame, any other highway peg attachments?
Shop near me has a NC that has pegs directly on the frame, seen photos here too, haven't done it myself.
any reliability issues?

None of me... well it does take longer to get home from work than the car... but the odometer has more miles between work and home than the car too... but I attribute that to it being more fun to ride around than the car, not because of any manufacturing or design errors.
I think a few people might, OCR probable does, I think he did his clutch at 50k... I'm sure he'll be along soon.
will I average above 60 mpg (app. 3.96 litres per 100 kilometres)? How about, 65 mpg (2.62 litres per 100 K)?
I've never dropped below 60mpg, and ride mostly short trips to and from work... on 55mph roads and the highway I often top 70mpg
How is the bike 2 up?
Not the greatest for me.... my wife wiggles too much...
Not the greatest for her either, her helmet sucks, the seat is hard, and my luggage takes up most of her foot space.
Thanks. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

No problem.

I'll add my two cents after each question I have comments on.

Seems like it should work ok but it is all about personal preference. When I think of a traditional sport bike the riding position is different. I assume this will make sense to you based on your previous experience and testing the NC. For those types of miles I would think that you may need to invest in seat and a screen. For your NY run you may need more storage. Hand protection for the wind..

I bought mine with the madstad screen. I'm pretty happy with it.

I don't feel much of a vibration. Perhaps experiment with speeds if that is an option.

The seat is a often the biggest complaint. My endurance is improving so I'm good for an hour now. Many replace their seat which has multiple threads on the topic.

any reliability issues?
None so far only put on 5k km myself.

My mileage has been pretty good. I find that the way I ride has a dramatic effect. If I ride conservatively keeping the revs stable and the speed withing 10 of the limit I can get 70mpg. My commute is only 20km each way which is about 30 minutes on the seat. If it is stop and go with me pushing it hard and much over the speed limit the fuel economy drops quickly.

How is the bike 2 up?
The bike has enough power to do two up with a small person. The bike is understandable heavier. My spouse does not enjoy the seat comfort and we have to work together to avoid helmet bumping (me controlling shifting and breaking with her controlling her seating and head position)

I had 3 issues.

any reliability issues?

How is the bike 2 up?

1. The Stock windshield is really a wind deflector. Most aftermarket windshields will keep a great deal of the off your chest, however they will not eliminate it.
  2. NaNCy is a DCT Model, I use "S-mode" 90-95% of the time. I only use "D-Mode" when out on the highway to keep it in 6th gear.
  3. The stock seat is "JUNK" you will have to chance that immediately. I have a Corbin seat on NaNCy.

I think that you should visit this thread that I started on How to build the NC700X into a Commuter Bike. It will contain a lot of useful information and help you decide on what accessories (farkle) you will want to add to the bike.

The NC700X is a great to use as either as a Commuter or Lightweight Tourer. However you will need to configure the bike to make it into exactly what you will be using the bike to do. Let me warn you, it is not a "Rocket-ship" nor will you break any land speed records on it. The NC700X is "Great" at what it was intended to do or what you want it to do. There are plenty of aftermarket and Honda accessories available for this bike, so you will not hit a ceiling on the Farkle you can put on this bike.

In short the NC700X is quite versatile and configurable. It is quite economical fuel consumption. I've gotten in the mid 50's on the highways and mid 60's during riding in the canyons.

I wish you plenty of luck on seeking your desired needs and wants on what you want your NC700X to be. Everyone can give you advice from this forum, however you are the one that will be using the bike and have to live with it. Make it into something that you can be proud of and call yours.

Attachments

• IMG_4306.jpg
    IMG_4306.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_4674.jpg
    IMG_4674.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_4673.jpg
    IMG_4673.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_4671.jpg
    IMG_4671.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_4670.jpg
    IMG_4670.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 477
Greetings! What part of "Boston" do you live? I live in Burlington and would be happy to meet up with you to see some of the more common changes you can make to make the ride more comfortable for you. I've changed out most of the cosmetic ( screen,seat, guards, etc ) stuff on my bike at this point. Let me know.

Going from memory here:

Madstat windshield as soon as I took the bike up to 70 mph and found out just how much wind was hitting me.
6th gear, no problems, don't notice any more vibrations than on the GSA or Yamaha Super Tenere (and a LOT less than the GSA).
Seat, yah, I must admit that it's been about the most uncomfortable for me and the Super Tenere the best. I have an air-hawk (bought before the bike).

I have crash bars and that is where the highway pegs are mounted.
OEM high beams suck, get something else added on. For me, I've got Rigid Industries LED 6 inch spot beam, I never even use the OEM high beams at night now, not worth the effort to switch them on.

I have only had the bike a year so I can't tell you how reliable, other than the last 12 months have been just fine, compared to my GSA.
I have a friend with a 2012 DCT, mine is a 2014 DCT, he gets MUCH better mpg, I get 56 mpg, he gets I think at least 65 mpg (and we drove together and filled up and rode the same route together. No sure if there is a difference in mpg for the manual vs DCT.

2-up, I'm sorry, no one can answer that but your significant other. My wife doesn't like anything but the back seat of the Gold Wing, so she has a Wing but I am the designated driver.

Back