• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Post your 2021 Model Riding Impressions Here

To me getting 1700 miles out of a stock set of tires would be more than mildly upsetting, unless one were doing burn outs and riding a little shall we say recklessly.
Oh, I am more than mildly upset. I just bought some tires I am very familiar with and moved on. If I can get 6K out of them on a FJR, they should last at least that long on the NC.

Burnouts on a NC750? That there is powerful funny.

I disagree on an important point. Large tall and full-width windshields fight the wind and force it to the sides and over the top edge which creates a low pressure area behind the windshield. Air spilling off the sides and top and rushing back into the low pressure area behind the shield is very noisy and turbulent. A shield that creates smooth flow across the front and back of the shield allows the split air streams in front of and behind the shield to reattach at the top edge for a very quiet deflection of air over the rider's helmet. If smooth laminar flow can be created the windshield doesn't have to be very big. This is how Madstad makes their systems for the earlier NCs and many other bikes.

The Madstad for the NC700/750 isn't a barn door or even large but due to the slot effect dramatically reduces sound and turbulence. I had the second generation Madstad on my 2015 and my 2013 has a first generation Madstad. Between the two the second gen is quieter but both work very well.

Madstad is looking for a 2021 owner in Central Florida willing to spend a couple hours at their factory in Brooksville so they can prototype a system that fits the new bike.
I had a Madstad on my '16 NC700x. It was better than the stock screen and the fact that it's adjustable is a plus. With my '21 model, I called Madstad to see if I could order a screen ahead of time since it's not listed on the ordering page yet. They said they were just waiting until they could finish up the Installation Manual but that I could order one ahead of time...with a discount! WooHoo! It should be here this week and there are improvements to it. Here's what the description said:
Our quietest ever. Unbelievably calm at highway speeds. MadStad's patented mounting system allows riders to adjust the height and angle of their motorcycle windshield resulting in much smoother airflow, better wind protection and a more comfortable ride than any fixed windshield can provide.
What's included in the kit
Our complete drop-in system is custom-made for your bike and includes everything needed to mount and position the shield. Your bike will not require any modification.
  • MadStad adjustable brackets
  • Solid aluminum crossbar (for mounting your smartphone or GPS)
  • The acrylic windshield
  • Pair of acrylic side deflectors
Our optically clear shield bolts to the adjustable brackets out in front of your instrument cluster, properly separated from the front of the bike pulling lots of air underneath it which is critical for smooth comfortable wind protection. Our shield is taller and wider than the small 14" wide x 16" tall stock shield for a much larger pocket of calm air. The 7/8" round crossbar allows you to clamp on a GPS nav system or your smartphone with any standard handlebar-mount bracket. Now you have it up front and center close to your line of side so you don't have to bob your head up and down to see it.
Looking forward to trying this out and having a crossbar is a plus!

Was wondering how the DCT would act in colder weather. Nothing to worry about. Functioned just fine on this morning's 30 mile ride at 23 degrees.

ULyMdowh.jpg

Was wondering how the DCT would act in colder weather. Nothing to worry about. Functioned just fine on this morning's 30 mile ride at 23 degrees.

ULyMdowh.jpg
This definitely falls in my bucket of "better off not knowing." It's 60 some odd degrees today; because of that, I'm looking to move even farther South and I'm already near the Everglades. All tongue in cheek, of course.

ULyMdowh.jpg
I pass along as a point of interest that, at least on 2012-2015 models, that there is in the instrument display a low oil temperature indication as well as an extremely low oil temperature indication as part of doing a clutch initialization learning procedure. Though oil temperature is not normally displayed it is considered by the PCM when making clutch and shift decisions. I wonder how low the oil temp has to be to prevent operation? I'm guessing it must be below -22 F or thereabouts for a 10w30 or 10w40 oil.

I pass along as a point of interest that, at least on 2012-2015 models, that there is in the instrument display a low oil temperature indication as well as an extremely low oil temperature indication as part of doing a clutch initialization learning procedure. Though oil temperature is not normally displayed it is considered by the PCM when making clutch and shift decisions. I wonder how low the oil temp has to be to prevent operation? I'm guessing it must be below -22 F or thereabouts for a 10w30 or 10w40 oil.
Before winter is over I'll find out lol, although we don't get too much lower than the teens around here usually

Hi I have the 2021 NC 750 DCT and in 6th gear it won’t rev past 6000 rpm/ 105mph in manual or auto and will change down to 5th in auto I’ve had it back to the shop three time to try and rectify this issue the shop finally past this to Honda UK their answer was they all do that sir, and my bike will not reach top speed (120/125mph) in 6th but it would in 5th I haven’t had the chance to try this out yet but after watching top speed being tested on you tube where each test was reaching top speed in 6th I’m not happy with Hondas explanation my bike revs to the red line in evert gear but 6th. Has anyone else hat this experience

Hi I have the 2021 NC 750 DCT and in 6th gear it won’t rev past 6000 rpm/ 105mph in manual or auto and will change down to 5th in auto I’ve had it back to the shop three time to try and rectify this issue the shop finally past this to Honda UK their answer was they all do that sir, and my bike will not reach top speed (120/125mph) in 6th but it would in 5th I haven’t had the chance to try this out yet but after watching top speed being tested on you tube where each test was reaching top speed in 6th I’m not happy with Hondas explanation my bike revs to the red line in evert gear but 6th. Has anyone else hat this experience
Yes. Honda is speaking truth to you.

I’m not sure how you would expect ”the shop” to rectify this issue. If the engine does not/cannot put out sufficient power at the RPM provided by sixth gear, then you would need to shift down to fifth gear to put the engine at it’s peak power RPM. The gear ratios were chosen by Honda, and sixth gear was set such that the engine can’t get to the peak power RPM with the load placed on it at high vehicle speed. This is not a defect, rather it is a design choice.

Shift it to fifth gear.

Last edited:
My 2016 750S DCT performs similarly. Top speed on my GPS is not even 100mph. Sticking it in manual makes no difference and it’s no better in fifth. I think I just got a slow one.

I’m not sure how you would expect ”the shop” to rectify this issue. If the engine does not/cannot put out sufficient power at the RPM provided by sixth gear, then you would need to shift down to fifth gear to put the engine at it’s peak power RPM. The gear ratios were chosen by Honda, and sixth gear was set such that the engine can’t get to the peak power RPM with the load placed on it at high vehicle speed. This is not a defect, rather it is a design choice.

Shift it to fifth gear.
Thanks for you reply, I dont expect the shop to rectify this if a fault doesn’t exist my enquire was, has anyone had the same happening with their bike as I said there’s a few videos on YouTube where the bikes are reaching top speed in 6th if you had read my post properly

My 2013 NC700X, the manual version won't redline in 6th gear either, top speed in 5th or 6th gear is 105 mph (103 by Gps), but that was 60,000 miles ago. Only got to 80mph a few times since on the interstates. I have had no need to go faster. The bikes are not designed to redline in 6th gear.

I have touched around and above 90mph a few times. I can understand the frustration of the bike not reaching the advertised top speed, but I can’t imagine Honda intended anyone to spend any amount of extended time at that speed. Do you just want to hit the top speed for fun?

I have touched around and above 90mph a few times. I can understand the frustration of the bike not reaching the advertised top speed, but I can’t imagine Honda intended anyone to spend any amount of extended time at that speed. Do you just want to hit the top speed for fun?
I don’t think there is such a thing as a (Honda) advertised top speed.

Snowbird is apparently disappointed that top speed requires 5th gear rather than being able to do it in 6th.

I learn something everyday. I would have expected the rev limiter would be the same for all gears.
The rev limiter is the same for all gears.

The motorcycle cannot reach the rev limiter in top gear because it can’t get to the peak of the power band with that tall of a gear ratio. Aerodynamic drag is great at high speed.

The rev limiter is the same for all gears.

The motorcycle cannot reach the rev limiter in top gear because it can’t get to the peak of the power band with that tall of a gear ratio. Aerodynamic drag is great at high speed.
Thank you for clarifying, I have now unlearned something :)

Just a comment regarding my 2021. When I did my first riding impressions my only real complaint was that the front fork was terrible. Having ridden it for 2000 miles I’m revising that to its not great, but it’s no longer terrible. That could be somewhat me just getting used to the bike. But it does need work.

The rear shock is on its third notch position, and I really don’t find it too bad riding solo. I will still be fixing up the suspension, but until then I can live with it.

Back