• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Possible purchase

Markdarren

Reaction score
Visit site
Dear All, thinking of purchasing a NC 750 2020. I'm currently riding a 2016 CB500X commuting 15k miles a year (around 95 miles per day).

Questions:

1) On average I'm getting 94 MPG (UK) all year (5% country lanes =45 mph, 90% motorway = 60/65mph & 5% city riding= 30mph).

Would I get a round about same MPG with the NC ????

Also would I get 300 miles per tank ????

2) How reliable / long would the DCT last ???

3) Consumables, I do all my own maintenance on the CB myself and after 54k miles not one mechanical parts has failed.

Are there any expensive parts on the NC that are a problem ????

Thanks

I seem to recall there is a difference between US and UK gallons, but I won't be discussing that.

1) I have achieved 71mpg over my 48,000 miles, which includes city commuting, long tours, short trips, and everything else.

Range is about 220 comfortably. I've gone as far as 265 before.

2) As long as the rest of the bike

3) No. The NC is not a halo bike. No fancy parts. Simplicity and efficiency is the raison d'être. It's a Honda.

The CB500X is a great bike. I was wondering what you hope to gain with an NC750X. I’d be happy with either one. If the 500 had been introduced by Honda before the 700/750, I probably would have bought a 500. Would I have changed later? I don’t know.

1) I compared your UK mpg to my US mpg, and I think you would get around the same fuel economy with the NC as you do with your CB. No, you will not get 300 miles range on an NC750X because the fuel tank is smaller. Oh, I have done it twice on my 700, but you need to ride hypermile style and run the tank nearly empty to get 300 miles, which is definitely not something you would do on a regular basis. Since the NC has the “frunk” storage space, the fuel tank is under the seat and is smaller than what you have on your CB.
2) Reliability of the two bikes would be similar.
3) Longevity is similar. At 44,000 miles I have had no NC failures besides consumable parts. Parts are not exotic and prices are reasonable.

+1
I also would like to know what specifically do you want to get a 750 for? It seems like you've got the perfect bike for your needs, other than not having a frunk.
A 750 will get worse MPG compared to a 500. 200 miles per tank is about the max I could safely go if I were getting my best mpg.
DCT won't be as reliable or low maintenance as a manual. It's also heavier.
Expensive parts? Yes, everything! And changing the air-filter is a hassle.

If I were you I would ride your 500 until it broke and then buy another, unless you needed a frunk. Not sure if that one feature would be worth it.
I needed the DCT due to wrist issues and I've wanted lockable storage on my motorcycles ever since I upgraded from a scooter (Riva 180) back in 1985!

+1
I also would like to know what specifically do you want to get a 750 for? It seems like you've got the perfect bike for your needs, other than not having a frunk.
A 750 will get worse MPG compared to a 500. 200 miles per tank is about the max I could safely go if I were getting my best mpg.
DCT won't be as reliable or low maintenance as a manual. It's also heavier.
Expensive parts? Yes, everything! And changing the air-filter is a hassle.

If I were you I would ride your 500 until it broke and then buy another, unless you needed a frunk. Not sure if that one feature would be worth it.
I needed the DCT due to wrist issues and I've wanted lockable storage on my motorcycles ever since I upgraded from a scooter (Riva 180) back in 1985!

Yes I think that's the best thing to do is keep the CB500X and just replace it with another one when it dies. It's a workhorse just for work with an average of 94 MPG all year round so I can't ask for much more.

An Imperial Gallon is larger than a US Gallon by several ounces. I would expect that you would get less fuel economy with the NC. I don't recall exactly how to do the conversion between US/Imperial fuel economy but its not all that difficult to calculate.

As for the DCT, there seems to be pretty strong evidence that it has long term reliability.

An Imperial Gallon is larger than a US Gallon by several ounces. I would expect that you would get less fuel economy with the NC. I don't recall exactly how to do the conversion between US/Imperial fuel economy but its not all that difficult to calculate.

As for the DCT, there seems to be pretty strong evidence that it has long term reliability.
an imperical gallon (UK) is 1.2 US gallons..so about 25 ounces larger, so OP is getting about 78 US mpg...

Back