• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Pilot Road 4's Announced

I've got about 800 miles on my new PR4s and I do seem to feel more road vibration from the front end. I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it.

Got my pr4 put on,short ride and they are great.I hear a little more wind from forks,or could be the new tire hum noise, but feel so much better.need more miles for a better review.

I've got about 800 miles on my new PR4s and I do seem to feel more road vibration from the front end. I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it.

Yeah Gary , I noticed the same vibes too. I think it's the tread lines that run across the front tire and I'm loving it! I feel much more sure-footed when applying the front brakes. It will be interesting to discover what kind of feedback we'll experience as the tire(s) wear. Was on gravel roads and some sand prairie trails that had some wet/muddy spots. Seem to go through it quite well. Every time though I put myself in that situation I tell myself knobbed tires!

Last edited:
Got my pr4 put on,short ride and they are great.I hear a little more wind from forks,or could be the new tire hum noise, but feel so much better.need more miles for a better review.

Glad you got them on. I too noticed the "howl" especially when slowing to a stop. After checking pressure I was down 7 lbs. in the rear and a few in the front. After bringing them back up to 42 psi. the howl seem to be less. Some pretty serious tread on these skins for a street tire:eek:.

Last edited:
I bet its the cross lines on the front I am hearing.I wear earplugs so all is good.they do stick to the road,I like.

I was able to get a couple hundred miles or so on the PR4s before mowing the yard. These tires definitely transmit roads bumps more then the Z8s and I did notice the front tire singing at 30 miles or so. I'm sure they are at max pressure, so I'll take a few pounds out and see how they do.

I hit some nice twisties north on 7 out of Hot Springs, turn-in is excellent, to the point where I was over steering a bit and had to correct mid turn a few times till I got used to it. The bike is more responsive, laying down and popping back up in and out of turns much easier than the Z8s ever were. I was pushing thru some turns at 20 mph over the suggested speeds and thought I was really laying it over, but my chicken strips are still a inch wide :D

I like these tires, but for 410 bucks they better last a LONG time.

I was able to get a couple hundred miles or so on the PR4s before mowing the yard. These tires definitely transmit roads bumps more then the Z8s and I did notice the front tire singing at 30 miles or so. I'm sure they are at max pressure, so I'll take a few pounds out and see how they do.

I hit some nice twisties north on 7 out of Hot Springs, turn-in is excellent, to the point where I was over steering a bit and had to correct mid turn a few times till I got used to it. The bike is more responsive, laying down and popping back up in and out of turns much easier than the Z8s ever were. I was pushing thru some turns at 20 mph over the suggested speeds and thought I was really laying it over, but my chicken strips are still a inch wide :D

I like these tires, but for 410 bucks they better last a LONG time.

I just ordered a set at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for $279.88.
Michelin Pilot Road 4 Radial Rear Motorcycle Tire | Motorcycle | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
Michelin Pilot Road 4 Radial Front Motorcycle Tire | Motorcycle | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

PR4 GT are a slightly different tire.........they seem very hard to get right now is some sizes......on BO.
I was going to swap tires on my ST1300 with PR4 GT but after reading this report I am rethinking:

June 2014 Motorcycle consumer News testing the 2014 BMW R1200RT comes stock with PR4 GT..........."GT rubber which appears to designed for heavy rain. Both tires are heavily siped and the front features a groove pattern of cross groves which divides the tread into innumerable small blocks. The front gives a very heavy steering feel at lower speeds and an unstable feel mid turn as if the tire was under inflated. Although they maybe great on very wet roads we'd prefer the Continental Road attack tires that were fitted on other RT's at the launch."

I know this is a very large sport touring comparison and a slightly different tire design GT .....BUT ......it is the first real negative report I have seen on PR4. ????????
Pr4 and PR3 sizes are not currently available for a ST front tire, and the release date for PR4 GT keeps getting pushed back.

Getting my PR4's (rear) installed on Saturday. Wanted to get a few more miles out of the stock Z8, but one of the dealerships here is having a discount on tire install this week only. So far 9297 miles on the stock tire with still ok tread left (1/32), which did good in the rain today.

Must not be the Dunlop Trailmax mine came with stock. I got a nail in rear tire with 2800 miles and the tire protection wouldnt cover anything because there was less then enough tread. So now sporting a set of PR4's and the quicker turn response is great.

I've got a little over 5000 miles on mine and they are still looking pretty good.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Here was my stock Z8 tire with 9506 miles on it. I think it still have a few hundred more to go.

WP_20140621_09_08_16_Pro.jpg

Here's my brand new Pilot Road 4. I put about 140 miles on it today, and so far I love the new tire. Got to test it in a little rain a few minutes ago and so far it seems to do better than the Z8's.

WP_20140621_11_26_52_Pro.jpg

I just bypassed 10,000 on my first set of PR4's. Still plenty of tread left prior to the wear bar. I might be able to push another 2K out of the tires. Maybe. Regardless, The PR4's have made it 2,000 miles beyond the mileage at change-out of the BT-023's. I've riden the exact saem roads and route for both sets with less oppurtunities for coutry rides which means the PR4's have seen more straight highway miles. They are holding up nicely.

Anyone else over 10K on the PR4's and experiencing the same mileage increase?

I have to double check my log book but I am pretty sure I have over 11k on my PR3's with probably about 1k left on tread. Some highway traveling, some mountain curves and local riding mixed in. Hope to get more on the PR4's!

I checked my log book and I have 11,400 miles on the PR3's since last change. I think I will get another 1,000 miles.

Last edited:
I've tried PR2, 3 and 4. Each one better than the previous model. Though each one is more expensive than the previous model as well. The price bump from the 2 to 3 was worth it. The 3 is a really good tire. The rear even work fine in easy dirt. The front is terrible in dirt. And on wet pavement they are the best I've had. Was on a group ride and got to a fun section of road but it was wet, me and another guy totally checked out on the group, some of whom I can't hang with on dry pavement. We were both on PR3's :D

I've had a PR4 on the rear since June. It's not quite as good in dirt as a PR3, but that's really not what these tires are for anyway. It's better on dry road, feels a little more solid leaned over. It has lasted a bit longer than the PR3, I might even make the 20% that they claimed, however, I have not ridden this tire as hard as the PR3 because I've been riding with my wife. I got 4100 miles out of the PR3, have 4400 on the PR4 and it's got a couple more rides left in it, though the easier riding is evidenced by the rubber still left on the outside of the tread. It might last a little longer, but it's also more expensive... so dollars per mile, you're not really getting anything.

For dollars per mile, the Bridgestone Battlewing is my choice. Very good all around tire, though not a dual compound so keep it twisty way to keep treadwear even :)

Last edited:
I just bypassed 10,000 on my first set of PR4's. Still plenty of tread left prior to the wear bar. I might be able to push another 2K out of the tires. Maybe. Regardless, The PR4's have made it 2,000 miles beyond the mileage at change-out of the BT-023's. I've riden the exact saem roads and route for both sets with less oppurtunities for coutry rides which means the PR4's have seen more straight highway miles. They are holding up nicely.

Anyone else over 10K on the PR4's and experiencing the same mileage increase?

Rolling on 12,000mi. on mine. Was told these tires will do 20,000mi. that's not going to happen. Previous tires were the Metz. Z8's to which the one thing I disliked about them was a little slippery especially on the wet. What I'm sold on with the 4's is that even though that flat spot down the center of the tire is a sure thing the bike still corners and grips the road real smooth. That's the subtle difference I've noticed.

Not sure how long I'm going to run them but will push them as far as I can.

Back