• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

PGI-FM or shifting issue?

Mike1414

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all!

I'm new to the site as I've only just recently purchased my NC700X in August of this year, a 2013 with 27k miles. I have put approximately 500-750 miles on it to date and it has run very well since I bought it (averaging around 71mpg as compared to my Jeep's 14mpg...), except for a minor issue that I have encountered only the last 1-2 times riding it. After riding for approximately 5-10 minutes, I notice that when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear it feels as though it almost wants to get stuck and is difficult to get into gear and my far left warning light pops on. According to the manual this is the PGM-FI light, but it feels as though the issue involves either a worn clutch plate or maybe the transmission slipping (but not slipping back down into 1st) if that makes any sense. Anywho, according to the manual (Pg. 104, referred from pg. 26), if the light comes on while riding, you should stop immediately and have the moto serviced. It doesn't seem to mess with the actual ride and it only happens once every few shifts if I continue to ride. The light never begins to blink, and it turns off when I park the moto. When I ride again, after 5 or so minutes, that same issue arises and the light turns on. It is completely factory aside from a phone holder/charger on the handlebars that I hooked to the (+) and (-) terminals on the battery. I have a warranty with the dealer from whom I purchased it, but I wanted to see if I could get an idea from you all before consulting them. I've run across this which, I understand is for a different model, but I assume it uses the same PGM-FI system, correct? This runs through a number of potential issues. PGM-FI Malfunction Indicator - Major Problem or Simple Fix?

So any ideas as to what it could be?

-Mike-

Last edited:
I can see it all..........but don't have an answer for you. Sorry.

mark444

The DCT model seems to be especially sensitive to low voltage from the battery so make sure the battery is fully charged.

Well it seems you were absolutely right! I was already in the process of charging my battery since it’s cold here in Tennessee, and I have not yet seen the warning light come on since charging my battery. Thanks for the info!

Back