• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Parabellum windshield?

ScottAndersonYoga

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning to order my NC700X next week, and am strategizing its accessory complement.

I'm a tall person (6'6") and would like to maximize weather protection. Clearly the factory 'shield is too low, and I'm debating the various aftermarket options.

Any suggestions? Things to avoid? Products to consider?

Thanks,

Scott
Blue Mounds, WI

Hi Scott.

I hadn't seen those Parabellum shields for the NC before - they look really nice. I like the curved lines and sleek shape. I've got the largest CalSci shield on my NC, which is 1.5" taller than the tallest Parabellum shield. The Calsci large is the tallest windshield I've seen available for the NC700X, so if height is your most important factor you might consider the CalSci.

I have to add that I have had issues with the windshield mount. The stock mounting clips and rubber expasion nuts didn't hold up to the additional force put on the taller windshield, and it broke loose at high speed. From the photos on the Parabellum site it looks like they use the stock mount for their shields as well. I think a modified mounting bracket like the Honda OEM touring shield uses is needed for these taller shields. Others here with the same shield and mounts as me haven't had any trouble though, so maybe it's fine and I just screwed something up.

Interesting -- hadn't seen these before.

Parabellum-Honda-NC700X-Replacement-Windshield_m1.jpg

Parabellum LTD: Browsing PARABELLUM Replacement Windshield for the Honda NC700X

trey

The shape is rather simple. My first impression was that the design was derived from a riot police shield.

Parabellum-Honda-NC700X-Replacement-Windshield_m3.jpgAnti-Riot-Shield-FBD-5-.jpg

I always have liked Parabellum Windshields. I am curious to see how they will work. Looking forward to any ride report.

I have the CalSCI sport (23") the shortest of their three windscreens (excludes the "shorty"). I am 5'6". This sport model is about 1" too tall for me, although I can see over it. The CalSCI is effective at blocking the wind but personally I was not satified with the edge finish quality, and the fact that it had to be physically bent 2 1/2" in order to fit the brackets putting excessive pressure on the honda compression grommits, etc). Mine now has a fracture crack at the mounting bolt-hole after 2500 miles of riding.

Having looked at the Parabellum website, I like what appears to be a wider upper section, and obviously the $30 cheaper price. If the Parabellum edge finish is typical of all other quality windscreen manufacturers, and if the form/shape matches the bikes mount (so you dont have to physically force the 2 1/2" of curve to fit), I would save the money and buy the parabellum. I just wish it was available when I purchased the CALSCI, because I would have returned the CALSCI immediately!

One other consideration however is the lower section width, which CAL SCI appears to be wider at the lower section. My CalSCI extends over the turn signal lamps approximately half way. The Parabellum does not appear to be as wide.

As a taller rider I am interested in how this pans out. I never really thought of wind protection on this bike. I was just going to continue to ride it naked......................

I'm interested in hearing what people think of this one too. I'm not 100% pleased with my Honda Tall screen. This one looks curved more than the CalSci ones do. I hope that would lower the drag a little more to make it's use of the stock fasteners more reliable than I believe they are with the CalSci.

The issue with the Calsci shield and the stock fasteners is if you put in one side and tighten it up, then torque the windshield over to put in the other side, you're going to have trouble. If you put in all four screws loosely then tighten them in a pattern you will have no problems.

I switched to the Parabellum large from the Calsci tall. I messed with the Calsci mounts one too many times and it developed a fatal crack. Here's how the two shields compare for me:

The Parabellum large isn't nearly as tall as the Calsci tall. It's about 4 inches shorter than my Calsci was when mounted in the upper mount position. It doesn't have a tapered shape like the Calsci though, so it's full width is available at the top. I noticed a big reduction in wind pressure on my upper body, which I think is due to the extra width. I also now have more wind pressure on my head though because of the reduction in height.

You don't get to choose between high and low mounting positions with the Parabellum, because the holes are drilled to mount in the upper set of the upper mounts and the lower set of the lower mounts to spread the load out wider.

The Parabellum is made from much thinner polyrazzmatazz-whatever than the Calsci. I'd estimate that it's between half and two thirds as thick as the Calsci. Hopefully this won't affect durability.

The Parabellum shield gets in the way of the levers and mirrors a little more than the Calsci. The Calsci obstructed the last half inch or so or handlebar travel for me, the Parabellum obstructs about another half inch.

The Parabellum looks better than the Calsci (to me, beauty is the eye of the beholder). It looks more like an OEM product and less like a high school shop project to me. If you have a Calsci you know what I mean.

Parabellum expects you to mount the shield using the stock rubber well nuts, same as Calsci. I personally think that's nuts (hah), and wouldn't have bought the Parabellum if it wasn't for Dale's (HONDABIKEPRO) nut plates. With the Calsci shields you can ditch the well nuts and put steel nuts and washers on the back sides of the bolts instead. It's a P.I.T.A., but it can be done. Because the Parabellum shield doesn't have a hole in it like the Calsci, it would be impossible to even do that. You just can't get back there to do it. In my opinion, if you get this shield, you must get a set of nut plates. Look at this thread for info on Dale's nut plates: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/883-my-calsci-windshield-8.html#

parabellum.jpg

Last edited:
these are the new nut plates these will cover all four mounting positions. for all brands of shields that bolt to the nc mount, dale ,

8D253D27-BDC9-479C-A25F-3AC88D4803A2-2180-000004F6C79755AD.jpg

FAB5E4FB-BDEA-4F66-9E7B-EC5AF3DA0447-2180-000004F6D1C5BB3A.jpg

D8A5F727-E7B3-4F6B-A75D-3FD9E2B36BEB-2180-000004F6E0D40CB2.jpg

159E7DF6-75F7-4180-BBE2-1EB44DFB635C-2180-000004F6D900D668.jpg

Wonder if there would less pressure behind the shield if you made a cut out in the middle bottom like the calsci had....

I finally got a a chance to ride my new bike! It was delivered a couple months ago, and persistent snow and cold kept me from riding until this past weekend.

I was delighted in all regards. The Parabellum windshield provided more protection than I'd anticipated, and without any helmet buffeting to speak of. Very pleased with the Parabellum windshield, as I've been with all their other products, too.

Couldn't be happier with the NC700X, either. What a delight to ride.

We've got a BIG snowfall forecast for the next few days. I'm over Winter, now. Ready to see all this white stuff melt, and get on with the riding season.

Scott A. Anderson
Blue Mounds, WI

Hats off to you gentlemen. I just went 2 days without riding and can't wait to go to work in the morning just for a ride lol. Gotta love the south!

Back