• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Overpant Recommendation

Sasmaster

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Rev’it Sand 3 jacket / pant for the weekend rides but would like to start commuting to work on the bike and get more seat time. That said, im looking for a solid overpant (gore-tex possibly) that i can wear over jeans on my commute. I’m aware of the Darien pant from Aerostich and thats about it.

Id like waterproofing and knee protection (as I ride highways) with an easy on/off routine. What other pants should/ might I consider?

Just about any motorcycle pants can become overpants with just buying for about 2" more in waist or a little more if you have a thicker belt buckle. That's what I've been doing for about 7 years. Waterproof is nice so you don't have to worry about rain pants as long as you commute is not longer than 30 mins.

I have some Olympias, which I wear both as overpants and pants.
They are waterproof and very tough, but not stylish. Also not Goretex, but they are for cool weather and breathability is not important to me in pants.
Your jacket probably has some matching pants.

Hey Sasmaster, first...Welcome to the RIDE!! Next, i also use a nice pair of motorcycle pants with pads/protection for every day riding and commuting. When needed i toss a nice pair of wind/water proof over pants and mine are made by Columbia outdoors..just regular over pants and they work great for me. Although they are non-insulated(which is fine), they fit nicely and are very comfortable. :{)
Me and my NC700x at the Moyie Springs Truckstop with Tim Tew July 2018.jpg

I've got the Bilt explorer jacket and pants, very similar. Not Gore-Tex but they have kept me dry and warm (that reminds me it's time to spray them with water repellent) a quick internet search confirms they do have pants that match up with your current jacket
Bilt Explorer Adventure Waterproof Jacket https://www.google.com/search?stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgEhK2MLGwMLe0MDC1NDGyNDYyMzYyXsSq6ZSZU6LgWlGQk1-UWqTgmFKWmldSWpSqEJ5YklpUUJSfn6bglZicnVoCAO-VLvVDAAAA&kgs=7a8bed96d1c1ccf5&q=Bilt+Explorer+Adventure+Waterproof+Jacket&shndl=-1&source=sh/x/shopping&entrypoint=sh/x/shopping

Last edited:
There are some different ways that you can go on this. I am a commuter and ride in almost all conditions except snow/ice. The over pant part isn't too difficult. Take what you wear to your local shop with your boots and try stuff on. See what fits the best. One of the the things that is important to me know is rain(wet coast). The pants I have now have an internal waterproof layer. I don't love it. It works up to lighter rain but has worn as I have used them. Waterproofing sprays have gotten more life out of them. It is a little awkward to show up to the office with a wet crotch so I now carry a serious waterproof bib over pant to go over my motorcycle over pant for heavier rain. If I added what I paid for the two pants I would be close to an entry level gore-tex pant. Right now I am committed but if I were to do it again I would take a serious look at a Roadcraft one piece. Pricey but from what I read I may not need another if I take care of it.

My pants are a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 13 which I don't think are available in the US. My waterproof bib over pant I picked up at a store that specialized in industrial work gear. I took my pants and boots and tried on waterproof pants that would fit over my set up.

Good luck with your search :)

I have Olympias, mine are mesh but with a removable waterproof liner which I can use with or without the mesh over-pants. The waterproof liner makes for a very good wind breaker-keeps the cold out down to about 40'f. During the summer, the outer mesh over-pants are my pants (with bike shorts underneath). 670 has the same set...:)

I know it's off topic but What bloody height are you? The bike looks tiny

Hey Sasmaster, first...Welcome to the RIDE!! Next, i also use a nice pair of motorcycle pants with pads/protection for every day riding and commuting. When needed i toss a nice pair of wind/water proof over pants and mine are made by Columbia outdoors..just regular over pants and they work great for me. Although they are non-insulated(which is fine), they fit nicely and are very comfortable. :{)
View attachment 37774

Klim, has Gortex and is guaranteed to be waterproof. It's a little more expensive but you will only buy it once and will be very satisfied. Before I finally bit the bullet and bought Klim I had worn many different pants and jackets trying to find the right ones. I've now had my Klim for over five years and it's still works and performs like new. Do it right once

Anything will leak where your bottom presses against the seat if there is enough pressure and enough water. Even goretex. It is not really leaking in the normal sense but some water will get through. Some scientist can explain it.

Resurrecting an in old thread because I’m thinking forward to cooler weather and am considering a pair of overpants.

Specifically looking at the FirstGear Kilimanjaro pants. I’ve got the matching jacket and consider it a great product. It’s waterproof using a gore-tex type fabric, well designed and plenty of thoughtful features.

Specifically looking to wear overpants over a pair of flannel jeans or multiple layers. I don’t currently have any overpants and am thinking a pair might come in handy for other purposes at some point.

I’d certainly consider other brands and am in no rush as I’m looking for late season use so I can shop around for sales.

Thoughts?

I have a pair of Rev’it Tornado2 riding pants and they are the nicest riding pants I own. Honestly hadn’t looked at Rev’it for overpants. I’ve got another pair to consider!

Quick question, do the overpants have seat gripper pads on the butt/upper thigh area? It’s a great feature on my Tornado pants.

Still looking at various over-pants, a few must have items:
  • Water + wind resistant.
  • Knee + hip armor.
  • Traditional pants appearance (at least semi-traditional)
  • NO mesh with under-liner design; I'm looking for cool weather, not 4 season.
A few 'wish list' items:
  • Suspenders
  • Adjustable waist
  • Thermal liner

I've ruled out all the KLIM pants, which pretty much surprises me because my wife and I we have quite a few pieces of KLIM kit and like all of them. They just don't make a pair that really seems to tick the boxes.

For buget purposes I have also ruled out anything over a $400 price point.

The Rev'it Communter pants have the typical Euro-look, without going full space-suit. CE Level 2 in the knees, hip armor is CE Level 1. Velcro adjustable waist. $350. Suspenders are a $55 option.

Rev'it Varenne pants are a traditional looking over-pant; no external pockets, an inconvenience but not a deal breaker. CE Level 1 in knees/hips. Velcro adjustable waist. This is the lowest price of the group due to minimalist features. Under $200.

The FirstGear Kilimanjaro pants look like traditional jeans/pants. CE Level 1 armor in knees/hips. They can be used as a riding pant or an overpant, but if sized as an overpant they will be loose/baggy. Suspenders are a bonus. Waist is NON-adjustable. $320.

The Scorpion EXO Seattle WP Pant. Looks like cargo pants had sex with a space suit.
CE Level 2 knee armor (but no included hip armor). Thermal liner is a bonus. "Seat Gripper" panels on the butt are a nice bonus. Adjustable waist. $230. Scorpion hip armor is a $30 option.

Honestly I'm torn between the FirstGear Kilimanjaro and the Rev'it Commuter. If the Rev'it Commuter was a bit more traditional looking it would be as easy choice. If the FirstGear Kilimanjaro had an adjustable waist it would be an easy choice.

Last edited:
My version of the Commuter Pant doesnt have velcro waist adjusters but Something similar to an adjustable strap on both sides.

Inside zipper from the crotch down with a zelcro tab at the bottom to protect the bike from the zipper.

It comes down to user preference. You can always buy and return.

My version of the Commuter Pant doesnt have velcro waist adjusters but Something similar to an adjustable strap on both sides.
I double checked, and you are correct. It is not velcro.

In fact my Rev'it Tornado2 pants have a waist adjustment strap that is not velcro either.

For what it's worth here's the suspender solution I find far superior to the ones that are available for various MC pants. Stronger elastic, less tendency to slide off shoulders, more even distribution of stretch, more comfortable. Easily used with any pants that have side adjusters or belts. If you want them semi-permanantly attached to your pants you can use either double-side velcro strips or small zip ties through the clips. Been using them since 2014 with mesh pants, riding jeans, Klim Dakars off-road pants, Oxford Montreal 3.0 for cold/wet season, snowboard pants etc.

12031-jerry-trucker-141.jpg

For what it's worth here's the suspender solution I find far superior to the ones that are available for various MC pants. Stronger elastic, less tendency to slide off shoulders, more even distribution of stretch, more comfortable. Easily used with any pants that have side adjusters or belts.

thanks for the tip my friend, i just ordered a pair for myself!! :{)

Still shopping, and thinking.

As I originally stated several posts, I thought of a pair of over-pants primarily for colder weather conditions to wear over thermal jeans or multiple layers. Now I'm going to add a traditional set of moto pants to the list which is not typically used as an over-pant.

Rev'it SAND 3 pants. Pants have the typical Euro-look, without going full space-suit. CE Level 2 in the knees, hip armor is CE Level 1. Removable waterproof liner. Removable thermal liner. Slide adjustable waist. $360. Seat Gripper pads on the butt! Suspenders are a $55 option.

Please let me know if you think this would work:
SAND 3 is a 3 layer pant with armored shell + waterproof liner + thermal liner.
  • Use them as an over-pant with the liners removed. The SAND 3 shell is water resistant but not water proof so it will handle a drizzle or light rain while wearing a conventional pair of pants underneath. Gives me some ability to use them as over pants in later spring, summer, early fall.
  • Use them as warm moto-pants with the liners installed for cool weather use. My primary idea for buying over-pants is for cool weather because my legs get cold and I figured I could layer thickly under an overspent.
  • I am thinking that my normal size, with liners removed, would be large enough to use as an over-pant. My normal size, with liners installed would work as regular moto-pants. For all Rev-it pants I have tried, I seem to fit at the large end of large or the very small end of X-Large so I'd probably try these in X-Large.
  • I am not searching for a true "commuter" over pant to protect my clothing while riding to work, if I need to arrive somewhere while wearing NON-moto clothing then I commit heresy and drive a car. I have several pairs of moto-pants in several styles from casual to Euro-space-ship depending upon the type of ride, destination, weather, etc. but none of them really keep me warm enough if temps drop and the ride is long.
  • I realize that I may have to remove my boots to slip these on if used an over-pant because they only have calf-length zippers. Might be able to slip a light moto boot through the calf zip?

Considering my earlier list, and considering the SAND 3 pant I think my current list would include, in no particular order:
  • Rev'it Communter Pant
  • Rev'it SAND 3
  • FirstGear Kilimanjaro
  • Scorpion WP Seattle

So I've removed the Rev'it Varenne pant. The FirstGear Kilimanjaro is looking to be the least attractive choice given my new thoughts of the pants being more multi-use oriented.

For what it's worth here's the suspender solution . . .

Interesting solution and far less expensive than the dedicated brand solution.

The pair you linked to require a belt on the pants. My current Rev'it moto pants don't have belt loops so the "perry clip" won't work but I do see that the side clip suspenders are also offered for sale with a traditional clip. This may be a very good solution that I can wear with all my non-belt loop pants :)

Last edited:
Back