• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Over heating due to radiator guard

Outrider1

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone experienced this? I want to protect the radiator but not at the expense of having the bike over heat.

Has anyone experienced this? I want to protect the radiator but not at the expense of having the bike over heat.
I've had no issues at all, my guard sits about an eighth of an inch off of the actual radiator face, and is obviously well perforated. I think between the location of the radiator and its exposure to air flow, coupled with the space between the radiator and the guard, as well as the perforated front that this wouldn't be an issue.
There are many wiser than me and I hope that if somebody believes or has experienced anything differently they chime in, but I think it's a really simple way to protect a significantly costly and important piece of the bike

Here's the Home made one I used. The metal comes from Home depot (barbecue grill i think).
This was version 1.
V2 had plastic tubing along all edges and one more strip of plastic tubing along the center on the inside of the metal.
I figured that center strip would act as a shock absorber should a large object hit it. Never got to test that thankfully.

(hard to see, but it's held in place by zip ties at the four corners.)
guard1a-jpg.4951

guard2a-jpg.4953

I have rode my 2016 NC700XD in 95 F up and down some twisty rides in Central Tennessee for three hours without any issues. I have the GIVI Radiator guard.

Assuming radiator guard has sufficient open space and spacing, it would be a crap radiator implementation by Honda indeed if using a guard was enough to push the NC into overheating. And something like that – well it would be a major problem that an owner/rider would not be able to ignore. There would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and outrage.

Probably a majority of us here have radiator guards, either DIY or commercial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the Home made one I used. The metal comes from Home depot (barbecue grill i think).
This was version 1.
V2 had plastic tubing along all edges and one more strip of plastic tubing along the center on the inside of the metal.
I figured that center strip would act as a shock absorber should a large object hit it. Never got to test that thankfully.

(hard to see, but it's held in place by zip ties at the four corners.)
guard1a-jpg.4951

guard2a-jpg.4953

Can you make bigger, HD images, with more details, I can see better? I would like to try to make one myself.

Thanks.

yes, I'll post the larger image when I get home. I scale them down so they won't take up as much space.
(ooops!, no I won't ! The only pictures that exist of that are on this site!... and they are the ones I used in the original post!)
How can I help otherwise?

it's metal grating (some use pieces of metal waste baskets) with plastic tubing on all four sides. Slit the plastic/vinyl tubing down one side and it will press on to the rough metal edge.. then just zip tie the tubing to the grating. You could just as easily use good quality electrical tape to cover the sharp edges, but I like the way tubing lifts the grating up off the surface of the radiator. A stone strking the grating would cause the grating to flex and absorb most of the force before it touched the radiator.

As I recall, there are metal fittings at the four corners that made attaching the thing with zip ties (again) easy.
more later...

yes, I'll post the larger image when I get home. I scale them down so they won't take up as much space.
(ooops!, no I won't ! The only pictures that exist of that are on this site!... and they are the ones I used in the original post!)
How can I help otherwise?

it's metal grating (some use pieces of metal waste baskets) with plastic tubing on all four sides. Slit the plastic/vinyl tubing down one side and it will press on to the rough metal edge.. then just zip tie the tubing to the grating. You could just as easily use good quality electrical tape to cover the sharp edges, but I like the way tubing lifts the grating up off the surface of the radiator. A stone strking the grating would cause the grating to flex and absorb most of the force before it touched the radiator.

As I recall, there are metal fittings at the four corners that made attaching the thing with zip ties (again) easy.
more later...

Thanks! :)

Back