• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Other high mpg bikes?

I've always thought the perfect 2 wheeled vehicle for electric power would be a scooter. They generally are ridden by urbanites, aren't ridden very far, and you can hide the battery in the body work while still providing element protection for the rider.

I've always thought the perfect 2 wheeled vehicle for electric power would be a scooter. They generally are ridden by urbanites, aren't ridden very far, and you can hide the battery in the body work while still providing element protection for the rider.
Agree! The only thing is that I like the riding position of a UJM/standard (feet on pegs below the rider, directly on the CG) more than the scooter setup with two feet in front.

My dream project would be to convert my old 1999 Ninja 250 to an electric, but doubt that is going to happen anytime soon.

From Zero's own web site: "Backed by thirteen years of innovation and iteration, Zero Motorcycles possess an unprecedented combination of industry-leading power, traction and revolutionary "smart bike" technology."

There is not a word there about range, in my opinion the main obstacle for electric vehicles. When Zero starts focusing more on developing longer range, I'll take another look.

Harley was pushing demo rides on there new Livewire electric bikes so I took one out. I was very impressed with the quality and power but the 80 mile range and way overpriced $30k sticker just kills it. Common complaint from what I'm hearing. If you get a chance to ride one don't turn it down, it accelerates like a 1000cc sport bike. Lots of fun but...

Now that the manufacturers have agreed on a single battery platform, range should soon cease to be the limiting factor with electric motorcycles. In theory, you will be able to simply swap out your dead battery for a new, fully charged one, much like swapping a propane can for your grill. Range will become a non-factor once the swapping infrastructure is established.

Now as far as the price of electric...that will still be a limiting factor for me....

The range problem will be solved when the Mark 100 battery becomes widely available. It weighs 100 lbs, takes 100 minutes on a wall outlet to charge 100%, and costs $100.

It will be available in 100 years.

Now that the manufacturers have agreed on a single battery platform, range should soon cease to be the limiting factor with electric motorcycles. In theory, you will be able to simply swap out your dead battery for a new, fully charged one, much like swapping a propane can for your grill. Range will become a non-factor once the swapping infrastructure is established.

Now as far as the price of electric...that will still be a limiting factor for me....
I remember calculators and digital watches being very expensive; now they are practically free. I expect or at least hope we will see a turning point real soon where the battery and range problem is solved and electric motorcycle prices drop significantly.

I’d have no problem being an early adopter and paying the current high prices, but the electric motorcycle I want isn’t offered yet today, as far as I know. Give me a capable dual sport with a little wind protection, a small rugged top case, with 25-30 hp and a minimum range of 150 miles - basically, an electric CRF300L Rally.

Last edited:
I was in China January 2019 and only saw battery powered scooters.

What is the source for that information? Are we taking in terms of US or imperial gallons?

Being that I believe it is 348cc, it falls outside the OP’s requested engine size. Horsepower is reported to be around 21, so it’s not comparable to the NC In power.
Owner reports, reviews, test rides, etc all report between 80-100 US mpg. Fuel range is somewhere around 400

The cb350 is similar to the NC in that it's ruthlessly practical.

"New" technology is always expensive (gotta recoup the R&D expenses fast, and start-up of a production line isn't cheap either).
Once the tech becomes more widely used, costs will come down.

I was in China January 2019 and only saw battery powered scooters.
I saw something the other day that broke out sales of all-electric and hybrid SUV class vehicles by country and I was surprised to see that China is the global leader in purchases of these large vehicles. I don't know if that figure is adjusted for per capita. No wonder domestic and Asian car manufacturers are setting target goals by 2030 and 2040 to compete in the largest market in the world.

I saw something the other day that broke out sales of all-electric and hybrid SUV class vehicles by country and I was surprised to see that China is the global leader in purchases of these large vehicles. I don't know if that figure is adjusted for per capita. No wonder domestic and Asian car manufacturers are setting target goals by 2030 and 2040 to compete in the largest market in the world.
When I asked about it I was told that the government changed the rules and no longer permitted gas powered scooters due to environmental reasons.

Had to fill up my CB 1100 today. According to my Trip B I had gone 176.7 mi, on 2.9 gals of gas and averaged 60.9 mpg

So I again zeroed trip B, filled up with gas without looking at the pump.

Turned around I had put in 2.92 gals of gas and the calculator in my phone said I averaged 60.5 mpg.

That's pretty good mileage for an 1142cc bike with 4 cylinders ..... and the gauge is pretty accurate too it seems.

These are U.S. gallons and miles.

Wait You think the Livewire is over priced??
ITS a Harley!
You know everyone wants one.
Except in real life no one does - Oh Harley what were you thinking??

Had to fill up my CB 1100 today. According to my Trip B I had gone 176.7 mi, on 2.9 gals of gas and averaged 60.9 mpg

So I again zeroed trip B, filled up with gas without looking at the pump.

Turned around I had put in 2.92 gals of gas and the calculator in my phone said I averaged 60.5 mpg.

That's pretty good mileage for an 1142cc bike with 4 cylinders ..... and the gauge is pretty accurate too it seems.

These are U.S. gallons and miles.
Just wait.

Back