• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

O'Neal Shorty Boots

Cigar Mike

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a pair of these boots. I have mostly ridden off road and the street boots just don't seem to be enough protection to me. I am sure they are but it just doesn't feel right. I wanted a short boot that provided great ankle protection and at $99 these seemed to be worth a try.

I received the size 12 boots a couple of days ago and found that they run small. I had to return them for exchange for a size 13. I received them today. I did have to pay $109 for the size 13. I got them through Amazon so the return was easy and the replacement left the same day I shipped back the originals with the provided return label.

These are very heavy boots and while comfortable they feel like you are wearing armor. I like the two buckle system over the zippers on the street shoes. These are not boots you want to go hiking in for sure but they are not bad just walking around. They are not as bad as a full off road boot but lean more in that direction than a street boot. For the easy riding I do now on the L these will be fine for that type of dirt riding as well. They might be worth checking out if you are like me and like a little more armor around your feet.

shorty boot.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

Right now they are stiffer than my Vega street boots by quite a bit. I will have to see how they break in. O'Neal says they break in quickly. They do have replaceable soles as well as other parts that may wear. If you have never worn off road boots these may be really hard to get used to.

Grip seems to be fine on the bike as well as walking around.

I took a few pictures to show the boots.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

The comparison between the boots shows what the problem is for most people. The distance from the sole to the top of the boot is much greater on the dirt boots. This makes it more difficult to get your boot under the shifter. Funny that with the street boots I have to lift my leg a little to shift. I like the shifter where it is for down shifts so I wouldn't raise it.

006.jpg

well i have DCT, so shifting not an issue. i was more looking to raise my height as am a little short for the NC

They do give you a little more height. I did not measure it but the sole is thicker. I never considered the DCT. These boots wouldn't be a problem with that. But they are heavy. The boot has very thick uppers. The plastic on top of leather makes a stout boot.

I thought I might have a problem shifting with these. It turns out they are fine. I don't get the boot under the shifter though. The boots have ridges on the side and with little pressure I just move a bit under and inward and it shifts fine. Down shifts and breaking is no problem. One of the reasons I got these was my feet were getting cold. Theses fit like off road boots and my off road socks fit well and makes the boots comfortable and warm. Very good ankle protection.

I like these and compared to the price of many riding boots they are a good deal for me.

I have a full length O'Neal riding boot that I use off road (not on my NC). For me ankle and shin protection are important. Slip off a peg and smash your shin on the peg can cause a great deal of pain.

Racing-Clutch-Mens1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a full length O'Neal riding boot that I use off road (not on my NC). For me ankle and shin protection are important. Slip off a peg and smash your shin on the peg can cause a great deal of pain.

Racing-Clutch-Mens1.jpg

Good off road boots have saved me from serious injury on many occasions riding dirt bikes. But full calf high boots are not that comfortable for all day rides on the NC. These boots provide much more protection without becoming uncomfortable. The other factor is cost.

I have the O'Neal Element boots which are full height MX boots, but share the same sole with your boots. I love them for riding my DRZ400 but yes, they would be a bit much for on-road with the NC. I am envious of your replaceable soles though. The Elements had that same red section at one time, but for whatever reason had switched to a solid sole without the removable section by the time I ordered mine.

Back