• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Okay be honest...who has suffered some buyer’s remorse?

There is no tone or snark in my post, just honest curiosity ;)

Had you taken a test ride on an NC, or read anything, or heard about them these past few years, prior to purchase? What exactly was it about the 700 that appealed to you enough in the first place to buy it, if I may ask?

The NCX vs FZ-09 (and IMHO the FZ-07, too) seems quite a different mindset! I would have thought: NC700X/650VStrom/Kawasaki Versys or ER6-N, etc., etc.

But considering between getting a CBR-like bike or a 650VStrom-like bike?

From a sporty 600 CBR four, to a rather rorty sporty 900cc triple is a comparo I can readily accept, but to go in the opposite direction seems...well, strange. Especially if there is no long riding, no commuting, and no rain. No offense but baffled I be lol! :eek:

It seems like you should cast a lingering look at the new CBR650R maybe :D

I bought the CBR600F4 new in 2000, when I was a spritely 44 years old. Now on the eve of my 59th birthday, I thought I needed something more forgiving on my body. I only became interested in getting a replacement when I spotted a Super Ténéré at the local dealership while I was in getting my annual inspection. However, it was just too big. I tried to talk myself out of buying ANYTHING, but my poorly running CBR pushed me to buy something new. My first research led me to the FZ-09, and I was ready to lay down the cash (I walked in with my checkbook, title, and a pen), but as I stated the owner no longer takes trade-ins, only consignment. I wasn't prepared to write a $9300 check. HOWEVER, the owner did lay the seed in my head by recommending the NC700X.)

Over the next couple weeks I continued to try riding my CBR with it's bucking carbs, and finally got so pi**ed I decided to visit a dealership in another town and see if he had an FZ-09 and would take my CBR on trade. He didn't (nobody else close does), and wouldn't tell me how much they would offer me for trade-in ("the boss needs to look at your bike"). But, we did talk a lot, and I sat on a few bikes, and the NC700X was the most comfortable. My ride home that Friday afternoon ended back at the original dealership, checkbook in hand, ready to talk turkey! He had a 2014 NC700X in the warehouse AND it was on a sales promotion, so it was going to be almost a thousand cheaper than the FZ-09 at the bottom line. (Today I would gladly pay that extra $1000!)

So, it was more-or-less a spur of the moment purchase driven by emotion, and a little research. The reviews and Youtube videos made the NC700X sound like an amazingly smooth bike with good torque. To me it isn't smooth and has almost no torque. I was swayed by it's good looks, reasonably low price, and glowing reviews. The fact that is incredibly economical, reliable, and practical weren't lost on me! But, in the end I am none of those things. :) I drive a very unorthodox Isuzu VehiCROSS as my daily driver, with a 70 Torino Cobra and 82 Mustang GT for backup. Before the CBR600F4 I had a CB750 Nighthawk, only because I was trying to save my marriage and my wife and I bought identical non-current year bikes at a steal of a deal. Prior to that I rode a 76 KZ900! That was a hoot! Big upgrade from my little Yamaha DT250. :) When I traded in the Nighthawk, I was actually thinking about an RC-51, but the same guy that sold me the NC700X also talked me out of the RC-51. Wise choice?? Probably. I would love to have had a chance to ride an RC-51, though. :)

I'm fighting the fact that I'm getting OLD! The CBR makes me feel both young and old at the same time. Under leathers and a helmet you can't see the wrinkles and grey hair. But, the sore back and cramped hands remind me that I'm not 20 anymore! When I'm riding the NC700X I feel more like that old man, putting around town on a "sensible" machine. Sorry, that's just the way it is. I think I need my CBR back for the adrenalin rush. I promise I won't try to do 140 mph again! But, I would like to get some sense of power when I twist the throttle. I'm working on it...

Thanks for your in depth reply CobraJet, 'tis appreciated! :D

I will reply in response to this, though-

"The reviews and Youtube videos made the NC700X sound like an amazingly smooth bike with good torque. To me it isn't smooth and has almost no torque."

I will easily concede compared to the typical Honda inline 4, even the smoothest parallel twin could convince a long time multicyl rider that it wasn't smooth, but if that rider hadn't had a lot of seat time on P-Twins or V-Twins (of the 90* flavour) the lack of smoothness can be mistaken for the feel of power pulse spread, versus actual vibration.

Also- "no torque". I'm hard pressed to believe a 14 year old misbehaving CBR600 could have the same amount of torque it dyno'd at when brand new:

146_01+sportbike_peformance_dyno_charts+honda_torque.jpg

...and even if this were the case, I don't know if anyone could have very clear feeling of torque being much less/much greater if the difference was, at best, only 2 or so lb-ft?

2013-honda-nc700x-vs-kawasaki-versys-vs-triumph-scrambler-hp-torque-dyno1.jpg

I submit some of your remorseful impressions might be emotion based, rather than reality based. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I hasten to add! If you didn't like it because you thought it smelled like elderberries, or that you were convinced it was causing you hangnails, I would be in your camp for that being a good enough reason to bin it, lol ;)

I'm simply putting some numbers out there for consideration. Who knows, maybe they will make you feel better about the bike, hee hee :D

I'm hard pressed to believe a 14 year old misbehaving CBR600 could have the same amount of torque it dyno'd at when brand new:
...and even if this were the case, I don't know if anyone could have very clear feeling of torque being much less/much greater if the difference was, at best, only 2 or so lb-ft?
I don't think I ever claimed the CBR600F4 had a lot of torque... it doesn't. But it makes up for that with horsepower and RPM. The NC700X has the same low torque, but relatively low horsepower and rev range. Compare with the FZ-09 torque and horsepower (63.4 ft-lb/110hp), and now you're talking!

I only responded to this thread because I read all of the earlier responses and had to agree with the one or two posters who said that most owners who actually experienced buyers remorse had already moved on. I haven't moved on. I'm sticking it out, and trying to make the most of it. The seat slope and R77 certainly have taken the pain out of my decision. Plus the fact that I still own the CBR600F4 (just in case), and I might just come to like (probably not LOVE) the NC700X more. At least the NCX isn't out to kill me like the FZ-09 would have been. :)

Gregg

I don't think I ever claimed the CBR600F4 had a lot of torque... it doesn't. But it makes up for that with horsepower and RPM. The NC700X has the same low torque, but relatively low horsepower and rev range. Compare with the FZ-09 torque and horsepower (63.4 ft-lb/110hp), and now you're talking!

I only responded to this thread because I read all of the earlier responses and had to agree with the one or two posters who said that most owners who actually experienced buyers remorse had already moved on. I haven't moved on. I'm sticking it out, and trying to make the most of it. The seat slope and R77 certainly have taken the pain out of my decision. Plus the fact that I still own the CBR600F4 (just in case), and I might just come to like (probably not LOVE) the NC700X more. At least the NCX isn't out to kill me like the FZ-09 would have been. :)

Gregg

Don't get me wrong, no intent to put words in your mouth. Just the "no torque" thing didn't ring true for me personally. Putting some numbers around to compare for fun. (I was surprised at the Scrambler and Versys dyno numbers, actually! I always thought they were much higher.)

Thanks for posting your experience with the NCX, CobraJet. Although it has the similar torque number as your 600F, the lack of rev range and top end HP definitely would make the NCX seem a bit neutered. I will not try to defend the NCX for its short coming nor attempt to change your mind. The NCX excels in areas that it was designed for but would fail miserably in other areas. Obviously, its performance numbers fell short. I hope, in time, you will see the merit of the NCX and appreciate it for what it is.

Last edited:
(Laughing) - one of the things that got me to buy the NC was the performance! It's got that extra little bit of power that my KLR was lacking. To me it has that "just enough" that's going to keep me entertained for a long time. No regrets here....

It's all relative, isn't it? I originally bought a CBR250R for commuting. After it was ran over in the garage, I bought the NCX. In comparison, the NCX has x2 the comfort, x2 the power, x2 the storage/convenient, x2 the commuter bike with the same MPG, the increase of 100lb in weight just add to stability on the freeway. The NCX is everything I can ask for. But I wouldn't compare it to its garage-mate, the S2R1000. They are 2 completely different bike with completely different purpose.

It's all relative, isn't it?...
I've gotta agree with you there Naked_Duc. I'd been putt putting around town on a Honda PCX 125 for the three years and then traded to the NC. I get a real rush when I open the throttle of the NC. But then I'm coming from an environment where I had been riding a very sedate scooter.

I also came from riding a scooter, a Kymco Bet and Win 150. I did my research for at least a year and a half and anticipated the arrival of the NCX. I wanted a bike that was versatile but mainly used for commuting around town with the ability to do some longer rides. A friend of mine wanted to sell me his 09' Vstrom 650 because he was upgrading to a BMW GSA 1200. I didn't have enough money saved up at the time and I am gad. I love the NC700! I bought the DCT partly because it came with ABS and knew it would be an easier transition from the scooter. I like that I am on a street bike that acts like a scooter but I can stand up, get better mpg than a prius and have the potential in the future to go off road when my skill level increases. So all in all no buyers remorse here. It has plenty of power for everything needed for regular riding and then some. I believe I'll be happy with this bike for a long time.

NONE !!.
a3a5uheh.jpg

3avy9ube.jpg

3a4y6eha.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None here. 13K miles in my first year last week. Adjusted 1 valve. Changed fluids @ 4k miles. I'm planing on a trip to the Grand Canyon from central Florida next summer. My first Honda, couldn't afford another BMW. This was not a mistake.

Still no regrets. There is only one bike I might swap it for, with the emphasis on "might". That is the one below........

NM4_2015_01.jpg

I have been looking at both the CTX1300, and the New GL1800 Valkyrie, both get about 50mpg from larger bikes, also looking at the CB650k, and FZ07.

With that said,

I would like to take all the plastic off my NC700X, and ponder some.

I would like to see how much lower I could mount the under seat tank, maybe 2" to 3" lower ok I might be able to live with that.

I would like to mount a second gas tank, and a Very low mounted single Valkyrie Seat as they are very comfortable, and shorten up the rear of the bike, then use a Nelsen rigg throw over saddle bags for when I need them.

Last edited:
I have been looking at both the CTX1300, and the New GL1800 Valkyrie, both get about 50mpg from larger bikes, also looking at the CB650k, and FZ07.

With that said,

I would like to take all the plastic off my NC700X, and ponder some.

I would like to see how much lower I could mount the under seat tank, maybe 2" to 3" lower ok I might be able to live with that.

I would like to mount a second gas tank, and a Very low mounted single Valkyrie Seat as they are very comfortable, and shorten up the rear of the bike, then use a Nelsen rigg throw over saddle bags for when I need them.

Why. ???.

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.

Some regrets:
1) was disappointed at the noticeably poorer performance over 80mph compared with the VF750 it replaced, but then I don't crank it on above 80 all that often and the best mileage I ever saw on the VF was about 44mpg.
2) sorry it doesn't handle quite as nice as the R80ST I bought for $2000 a month later, but the BMW is air cooled which means I would be burning it up in stop and go traffic in my daily commute
3) sorry it isn't cruiser style and can't ever be restyled, but I knew that when I bought it
4) sorry it seems to be of cheap tinny construction compared to all my previous Hondas, but nothing has failed yet after 12,000 miles
5) sorry Honda couldn't do a better job with the electronic dash, especially the idiot designed gas gauge

Ok, if I am to nit pick I will admit that I have come across a couple of small corrosion issues at the back of the speedo console and on the main frame near one of the lugs on the lower right rear. Other than that there are no regrets. This is a budget motorcycle and was purchased as such. It does exactly as it is supposed to.

Some regrets:
1) was disappointed at the noticeably poorer performance over 80mph compared with the VF750 it replaced, but then I don't crank it on above 80 all that often and the best mileage I ever saw on the VF was about 44mpg.
2) sorry it doesn't handle quite as nice as the R80ST I bought for $2000 a month later, but the BMW is air cooled which means I would be burning it up in stop and go traffic in my daily commute
3) sorry it isn't cruiser style and can't ever be restyled, but I knew that when I bought it
4) sorry it seems to be of cheap tinny construction compared to all my previous Hondas, but nothing has failed yet after 12,000 miles
5) sorry Honda couldn't do a better job with the electronic dash, especially the idiot designed gas gauge

So why did you buy the NCX anyway? It seems like you knew exactly what you were getting into. Should have bought a power cruiser like a V-Max instead.

Back