• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ok Lets Hear it?! Complaint Department

cdnuser

Reaction score
Visit site
We all love the NC700 but what I want to know (and some others I am sure) is what are your biggest complaints about the bike. Be honest!

Mechanical...
Colour...
Seating...
Power...
Tires...
Available accessories...

Anything...

I'll start... My biggest complaint about the bike is the sound... yes I said it! It sounds like, for lack of a better word. A Honda fit (which the engine is Based on). It needs more grunt and I don't necessarily mean louder.
When I show people the bike they are always impressed but frown a bit when they hear it. One person even said it sounded like a loud sewing machine! What no!

This can be fixed with a better muffler...

Read this Thread http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/2709-exhaust-suggestions.html

5r6uree.jpg

Last edited:
What's the better muffler? I'm not looking for a repli-racer look, just a decent sound improvement muffler with a bumper attached for the center-stand to rest against, not priced like it's made of unobtanium! and a nice clean non-bulbous appearance. Let me know when you find it! Light weight would be a plus!

I actually like the sound of the motor/exhaust...?:confused: :eek:

To my ears, it sounds nice and gear whirly and deep and bassy when throttling down in first gear from 5,000 rpm or so. My buddy who has a Super Tenere (also with a parallel twin and 270* crank firing order engine) thinks my bike sounds like his, and I think his bike sounds like mine. His bike sounds vaguely like a Ducati coming down the street.

Now this isn't to say my knees don't go weak when I hear some of the better NCX mufflers on YouTube of course, some of those are very nom nom nom sounding ;) but for me, that doesn't immediately translate into: "I don't like the sound of my stock NCX" either.

I must be the only owner who actually likes the NCX seat lol

The 3,000 rpm "thrumming" I was moaning on and on about at first, has seemed to subside into a barely noticeable thing now, thank gawd.

I guess my major dislike is the freaking instant off rev limiter wall you smack into at redline. A more progressive one would be mucho appreciated by moi.

Don't care for the tires. At all. (Metzeler Z8)

Wish it had at least a couple more inches of ground clearance...

I wish there weren't so many weird plastic slots and tabs for the multipiece bodywork to origami back into itself with. A few exposed bolt heads or those nifty plastic push button fasteners would be just fine with me instead of teh nasty flexi-OMFG imma gonna break it! grimness of dealing with re/re the plastics. (especially around the front at the headlight, ugh!)

PS dood, it isn't based on the Fit engine. That is an infinitely over-repeated falsity.

Over all living my bike but the ignition key lock could stand to be better. I like the sound. I would have liked ABS brakes for manual. I'd prefer stock horn that could make people drop their phones...

99% of the time, the low rev engine and power band is totally adequate. It does the job just fine. So IF I had to complain, I would complain that 1% of the time when you need to get up to speed, uphill, against wind, the engine seem to run out of breath. (torgue band drops off too soon) I know that's not what bike/engine is designed to do. But only if I had to complain.

Was back on my Duc over the weekend and the torque is literally endless....

View attachment 4368

Love that bike! I would point out that the sewing machine "motor" is not actually connected to the wheels.

I think that the sewing machine complaint common to the '70s referred to the sound of the UJM fours. Do Harley riders still defame all Japanese bikes the same these days, even twins?

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the NCX. The seat, to me, is tolerable in most situations, the stock windscreen works well enough, the ergos are decent, the power is all I really need. Yes, it tops out at a "slow" speed but I've only topped triple digits on a motorcycle once, which btw is 30+ MPH over the speed limit around here. My only complaint is that some of the things that should have been included with the bike new (rear hugger, center stand) wasn't.

Uh, yeah. Mine does NOT sound like a sewing machine anymore. A Leo Vince slip on
with the baffle taken out fixed that.

Put a protector on the radiator and a fender extender.

The only negatives I can think of is the rev limiter which is not really that bad, the
crap the back tire flings up in the rain and the cheap windshield that gets scratched
easily. (I spray painted the inside black.)

But for the price and power and MPG I am very happy. And I have test ridden many
other bikes.

Power for sure. Just 10-20hp would do. I'd be willing to sacrifice some mpg if they hadn't given us a bare minimum gas tank capacity. The nc just needs slightly more power on the interstate so the mpg's don't plummet 30% because it struggles to push through the wind.

I think that the sewing machine complaint common to the '70s referred to the sound of the UJM fours. Do Harley riders still defame all Japanese bikes the same these days, even twins?

do harleys still get bashed (even on this forum)?

Last edited:
To me, since my main interest is high miles...

[video=youtube;pyj2qL-bQ4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyj2qL-bQ4E[/video]

As I said from the get-go 10 more horses and a seat that was flatter and better designed and this would be my favorite bike of the past 40 years. (The '83 V45 Interceptor still holds that title)

vf750f_04.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, complaints...

Ignition key lock and frunk lock should be one and same. Moving key gets old.

Lowering kickstand on DCT should not turn it off, just put it in neutral.

Turn signal should have auto-off or loud clicker (I prefer auto off like many modern bikes).

Fixable complaints (more minor since I can fix them or already have):

Windshield, Tires, and Seat.

Trunk / rear seat lock could be better. More power can never hurt, I'm sure there will be a power programmer out one of these days, should help the torque curve. I like the sound, never liked the idea of something sounding way more powerful than it is.

Back