• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil Pressure specs... Help! Anyone have a service manual??

Mongo

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy. I've had a similar situation as one mentioned in an earlier post, about the oil pressure light flickering if the revs drop below idle, even briefly. I'm not ready to call it a problem, but I'd like to see for myself what the actual oil pressure is on my bike. I'm hoping someone with a service manual wouldn't mind looking up the oil pressure specs, psi (or bar) @ idle, psi @ running rpm, etc. and the correct location for attaching the test gauge (it's frequently not the same port that the switch occupies). I'll gladly report back my findings and be forever in your debt...:D

Howdy. I've had a similar situation as one mentioned in an earlier post, about the oil pressure light flickering if the revs drop below idle, even briefly. I'm not ready to call it a problem, but I'd like to see for myself what the actual oil pressure is on my bike. I'm hoping someone with a service manual wouldn't mind looking up the oil pressure specs, psi (or bar) @ idle, psi @ running rpm, etc. and the correct location for attaching the test gauge (it's frequently not the same port that the switch occupies). I'll gladly report back my findings and be forever in your debt...:D

PM sent

How does one get the bike to run, even briefly, below idle? The oil light comes on when the bike stalls, and just about every bike I've ever had, I could provoke the pressure light to flicker if I semi-stalled out, but caught it (pulled the clutch in) before it actually did so.

Lugging to the point of imminent stall out in first gear? If this is the cause, I would strongly recommend not doing this with any frequency!

Or is this a case of the bike sitting there with a lumpy idle, hiccups, and the revs drop enough to go below the threshold and flicker the light? I would say there's some other issue needing to be looked at, if that's the case as well.

Just curious :D

68 psi at 5000 rpm threw oil filter with honda adapter. not sure why are you doing this??? take it to the dealer dale

What he is talking about I have experienced on mine and its a quirk with the bike I think. If you twist the throttle off idle it will "hiccup" briefly enough that the bike thinks its about to stall...thus a non running motorcycle will have the oil light on. The light goes off immediately when she kicks back into gear. It doesn't do it all the time just sometimes. And it did it before the slip on. I thought it was just me at first when I stalled occasionally but this bike has enough torque to pull of without any throttle. You can adjust your riding to stop it from actually stalling by giving it more gas to launch off. I called Honda and they said to just drop it off..typical so thus I will live with it. It's not that big of a deal. My 08 cbr would shut off sometimes when downshifting and I never did anything about that.

Thanks for the reply's. I like to know what's "going on under the hood". The impetus for trying to figure out "why" in this case stems from the experiences I've had with numerous previous motorcycles, none behaved in this manner. It may not be bad, it's probably not a big deal, I just want a better answer than the dealer is likely to give me... "They all do that..." Heard that one before? Thanks to L.B.S. and HondaBikePro for the info!

My bike idles at 1,100 warm or cold. That seems high to me. Maybe that helps to compensate for another issue? Or perhaps the idiot light is too sensitive and Honda just hasn't caught that yet.

My bike idles at 1,100 warm or cold. That seems high to me.

Almost "generically" normal motorcycle idle. Which is kinda funny, as the redline is so low and the bike has such an under square configuration, I was expecting the idle speed to reflect this, and be around 800 or 900 rpm or something!

My CBR125R has a little bit of a higher idle at 1,250 +/- 100 rpm, but I think every other Honda, and 99% of any other brand bike (Japanese) I've ever owned has always had the same 1,100 +/- 100 rpm idle lol

I thought my old BMW boxer idled at 800 rpm. A 59 Harley I owned didn't have a tach but it sounded like it was idling at 100 rpm and about to stall with every firing cycle!

With the old BMW twins we used to have low idle contests. I have seen 500 rpm many times and a couple that could run 300 rpm with one plug pulled.

What he is talking about I have experienced on mine and its a quirk with the bike I think. If you twist the throttle off idle it will "hiccup" briefly enough that the bike thinks its about to stall...

Mine does that. I've never seen the oil light flicker on, but it does have a little off idle hiccup every now and then.

I came off of a uber torquey Bandit 1250 that I could start to creep away from a light by just letting out the clutch and then applying throttle to really get going. I've just had to adjust my riding style a bit and make sure I give the NC a little throttle before I let the clutch out at all. Still surprises me every now and then. Never had it actually stall though.

trey

What he is talking about I have experienced on mine and its a quirk with the bike I think. If you twist the throttle off idle it will "hiccup" briefly enough that the bike thinks its about to stall...thus a non running motorcycle will have the oil light on. The light goes off immediately when she kicks back into gear. It doesn't do it all the time just sometimes. And it did it before the slip on. I thought it was just me at first when I stalled occasionally but this bike has enough torque to pull of without any throttle. You can adjust your riding to stop it from actually stalling by giving it more gas to launch off. I called Honda and they said to just drop it off..typical so thus I will live with it. It's not that big of a deal. My 08 cbr would shut off sometimes when downshifting and I never did anything about that.

not sure why you would twist the throttle, without a load on the motor there is no reason to do this on a fuel injected motor. if you blip the throttle without a load on it the motor the intake velocity drops, goes lean and the rpm drops, making the the oil light come on.. and if you blip the throttle on a fi bike with no loan you will dilute the engine oil with fuel. dale

Way back when, I went to a movie in New Orleans on my 67 Triumph TR6. When I came out, some joker had knicked a spark plug wire. Much to my surprise, it started anyway and I rode home. Deliberate attempts to replicate that event after removing a wire completely failed, even after the motor was warm. So I was lucky not to be stranded. I don't remember if the idle dropped or not but no doubt I was keeping the revs up!

My old Goldwings were supposed to idle at 1000-1100rpm, if at 800 or lower oil light would come on

Back