• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil Overfill Question

dog

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the bike a few days (70 miles) before it occurred to me to check the oil. It was really high on the stick -- up where it just begins to go flat. That is about a 1/2" above the "Full" line. I can see how someone who was unfamiliar with the bike could assume that was the proper point to measure to if they did not look too careful at the instructions/manual/whatever they use to prep the bike for delivery. (Does anybody know how that works?) So here's how much I had to take out to get it back down to the full line.

overfill.jpg

OK, so I'm a moron -- I knew better than to trust them to get that right. Confirmed it over the weekend when I did the 600-mile oil change and discovered both the oil filter and drain plug to be WAY over torqued when I removed them.

I'm guessing there was little, if any, damage from the overfill as it was only like that for a short time and I hadn't ridden it very hard. BUT it did have 14 miles on the odometer before I got it. Sales guy said, "We have to road test them." Any opinions? Should I bring it to Honda attention for warranty stuff? I've always heard the problem is the crankshaft slapping the oil and causing it to foam up, etc.... Maybe I'll bring it up when I go back to get my tags. Can't believe it takes 6 weeks just for THAT.

Did you check the oil with the bike vertical? I suppose so since leaning it will show a false low.

As for oil plug and drain plug, that is the Japan factory setting. Mine was annoying to get off. The filter was a crushed can time I got it off.

As for the overfill. THAT is a dealer issue

Did you check the oil with the bike vertical? I suppose so since leaning it will show a false low.

As for oil plug and drain plug, that is the Japan factory setting. Mine was annoying to get off. The filter was a crushed can time I got it off.

As for the overfill. THAT is a dealer issue

Yeah, had a friend holding it upright while I pulled the oil out with the syringe. Took much longer than I thought it would, but I wasn't sure how overfilled it was when I started.

Looks like about 8 ounces overfill? Yes bring it to the dealers attention. A lot of oil leaves the sump once running so probable not a problem. Take a look at the breather tube, owners manual page 97 for location. If a lot of oil collected there would indicate the excess was enough to get pumped off.

Art

Looks like about 8 ounces overfill? Yes bring it to the dealers attention. A lot of oil leaves the sump once running so probable not a problem. Take a look at the breather tube, owners manual page 97 for location. If a lot of oil collected there would indicate the excess was enough to get pumped off.

Art

Thanks for the heads-up on the breather tube. I just checked and it was totally clean. It's weird, I had the same thing happen to me when I took my WRX in for it's first (free) oil change and they overfilled it by a quart. Drove it 250 miles before I checked and then paid to have it done right at one of those oil change places. Been over 10 years ago now and it still runs great. BUT, I always check before I leave the lot now.

I had the bike a few days (70 miles) before it occurred to me to check the oil. It was really high on the stick -- up where it just begins to go flat. That is about a 1/2" above the "Full" line. I can see how someone who was unfamiliar with the bike could assume that was the proper point to measure to if they did not look too careful at the instructions/manual/whatever they use to prep the bike for delivery. (Does anybody know how that works?) So here's how much I had to take out to get it back down to the full line.

OK, so I'm a moron -- I knew better than to trust them to get that right. Confirmed it over the weekend when I did the 600-mile oil change and discovered both the oil filter and drain plug to be WAY over torqued when I removed them.

I'm guessing there was little, if any, damage from the overfill as it was only like that for a short time and I hadn't ridden it very hard. BUT it did have 14 miles on the odometer before I got it. Sales guy said, "We have to road test them." Any opinions? Should I bring it to Honda attention for warranty stuff? I've always heard the problem is the crankshaft slapping the oil and causing it to foam up, etc.... Maybe I'll bring it up when I go back to get my tags. Can't believe it takes 6 weeks just for THAT.

I realized you mentioned the instructions/manual, so this is a dumb question, but did you check the oil level by just resting the dipstick threads on the opening? On Honda power products (motorcycles, lawn mowers, whatever) the oil is never checked by screwing the dipstick all the way in. That would account for a half inch difference in the reading. If you screwed the dipstick cap in, then your reading would indicate overfill even when the oil is at proper fill level.

As for tight hardware, it seems the factory went crazy tightening fasteners on NC700X. I've had little M6 screws that had me tapping the wrench with a mallet to break them loose. It's seems they didn't even follow their own torque specs. Don't even mention the oil filter. Everyone has cussed at that.

Greg

Last edited:
Agree with 670cc; are you checking the level with the dipstick cap just sitting loosely on top of the threads?

I don't think there's any reason to take the bike to Honda right now. What are you going to claim you want fixed? What's broken? Or are you just looking for their formal acknowledgment that it was over-filled? I suspect no damage was done, but keeping an eye on it over time is wise.

I realized you mentioned the instructions/manual, so this is a dumb question, but did you check the oil level by just resting the dipstick threads on the opening? On Honda power products (motorcycles, lawn mowers, whatever) the oil is never checked by screwing the dipstick all the way in. That would account for a half inch difference in the reading. If you screwed the dipstick cap in, then your reading would indicate overfill even when the oil is at proper fill level.

As for tight hardware, it seems the factory went crazy tightening fasteners on NC700X. I've had little M6 screws that had me tapping the wrench with a mallet to break them loose. It's seems they didn't even follow their own torque specs. Don't even mention the oil filter. Everyone has cussed at that.

Greg

Nope, checked it a bunch of times as I pulled out the oil by doing just as you and the manual described. BUT I would never be offended with your questioning me on any of my methods. I really appreciate the input I get from you guys. All this motorcycle stuff (riding, maintenance, mods, etc...) is new to me, so feel free to assume I know nothing. I've read through the manual but I can't remember most of it so I always carry it in the frunk. I DID decide to splurge and get the "genuine" Honda oil filter wrench doodad -- it made short work of that sticky oil filter, but I couldn't believe how tight it was on there. I torqued both the filter and plug to the specs in the service manual.

I don't think there's any reason to take the bike to Honda right now. What are you going to claim you want fixed? What's broken? Or are you just looking for their formal acknowledgment that it was over-filled? I suspect no damage was done, but keeping an eye on it over time is wise.

I doubt they would admit it was over filled unless I brought it back to the dealership like that so they could see for themselves. As they are about 15 miles away (and I wasn't comfortable on the freeway yet), I decided to just fix the problem. I guess I would just like to lodge a formal complaint about it in case any problems ever arise that can be attributed to an overfilled crankcase. I doubt there was any serious damage, but HOW can they get that wrong? No QC procedures? I should have checked it at delivery I guess.

Yes, I hear you. I think that there was likely no damage done, so I think your NCX will last you as long as you want to keep it! :)

The bikes are not shipped "dry". Nearly all manufacturers deliver their vehicles complete with fluids, minus fuel. I noted the same overfilled condition upon checking the level the first time, which was as soon as I arrived home from the dealer. About the same level as yours on the dipstick it sounds like. I've owned 16 or 17 bikes up to this point, many have been new, quite frequently the manufacturer tops off the crankcase to "brimming" on delivery, I assume to hedge against a bit of consumption during break-in. I figure they know what the max safe oil level would be. It's not like Honsukiyamasaki to pay for a nickel's worth of extra oil on accident...

The bikes are not shipped "dry". Nearly all manufacturers deliver their vehicles complete with fluids, minus fuel. I noted the same overfilled condition upon checking the level the first time, which was as soon as I arrived home from the dealer. About the same level as yours on the dipstick it sounds like. I've owned 16 or 17 bikes up to this point, many have been new, quite frequently the manufacturer tops off the crankcase to "brimming" on delivery, I assume to hedge against a bit of consumption during break-in. I figure they know what the max safe oil level would be. It's not like Honsukiyamasaki to pay for a nickel's worth of extra oil on accident...

Yeah, but as nobody else has piped up about that I'm thinking somebody (maybe even the SAME somebody if it came shipped like that) screwed up on ours. I'm not going to sweat it, but will tell the dealer about it when I pick up my tags next week.

Back