• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil leak top right crankcase cover

12xoldy

Reaction score
Visit site
Oil is coming out around generator assembly
cable or stator cable. I also found hole in rubber elbow. Has anyone had this issue. I haven't pulled cover yet. Generator assembly cable around 70.00. Stator with cable about 300.00. I'll be doing monthly oil change this weekend. Guess I'll pull cover to investigate. Any advice welcome!

A photo of your leak would really help.

Not knowing the place where the leak is, it still seems a sealant would be the answer rather than a cable or stator.

A photo of your leak would really help.

Not knowing the place where the leak is, it still seems a sealant would be the answer rather than a cable or stator.

It's the black rubber elbow. About one o'clock
up from oil dip stick. Just in front of the 2 bolts. That the clutch cable mounts too.

OK. Your earlier mention of the stator had me picturing the leak on the other side of the engine. When seated on the motorcycle, the generator is on the left side of the engine, and the clutch is on the right.

See the photo attached. I think you're talking about the boot or grommet for the crankshaft sensor seen hanging in the photo. The whole clutch cover is sealed with a very thin bead of a black sealant called Honda Bond, or 3 Bond. There is no gasket. That wire grommet is also sealed with a thin bead of the same sealant when the clutch cover is installed. I don't think you need to buy any parts, rather the grommet just needs some sealant. Ideally that is done when the cover is installed. To do it after the cover is installed would be difficult without looking like a mess.

Verify that the oil level is not overfilled. This grommet is faily high above the oil sump to be a significant leak point.

100_1349.JPG

Last edited:
That grommet has a hole molded into it from the factory. It’s for water drainage for any water that drips down the wires from above. The grommet is used for vibration strain relief.
Here’s a picture of mine.
03DE3A6C-F2E7-49C0-8F9A-4BE07553B011.jpeg

JT

Thanks! Both pics are dead on. I'll just have to pull cover and reseal. Honda's right side crankcase cover pic. Show's it to be #6. Which is part # 30300-MGS-D31. They call it Generator Assy. Pulse TOYO. That's what made me think stator. So my confusion is resolved. Also I don't have to much oil. Thanks to other threads. To remove just under 16 ounces from one quart before filling oil. Each time oil level is dead on full.

That pulse generator sensor bolts to the inside of the clutch housing cover. If/when you remove the sensor, be sure to note it's orientation. In the past, a forum member or two reported accidentally installing the sensor upside down or reversed. When that happens, then only after complete reassembly of the engine will it be come apparent that the engine won't run with the sensor reversed.

I was thinking that if you have a alternator case filled with oil the leak would be the least of your problems.

Just as point of interest. The alternator ( stator and permanent magnet rotor ) are on the other end of the crank shaft. It is in the engine oil bath same as the clutch.

8C39A1C7-0B2C-4E77-B513-942F15F20918.jpeg

Do any of you have torque ft. Lb. For the crankcase cover bolts? I've looked all thru manualslib. And don't find it. Thanks!

Although that grommet is high on the case and way above the normal oil level, it gets oil thrown at it from the spinning clutch.

I seem to recall a long ago similar problem with another Honda motorcycle but can't recall all the details. ..memory is fading fast!

Thanks! Both pics are dead on. I'll just have to pull cover and reseal. Honda's right side crankcase cover pic. Show's it to be #6. Which is part # 30300-MGS-D31. They call it Generator Assy. Pulse TOYO. That's what made me think stator. So my confusion is resolved. Also I don't have to much oil. Thanks to other threads. To remove just under 16 ounces from one quart before filling oil. Each time oil level is dead on full.
12x.....just to clarify, you are checking the oil level with the bike straight up and NOT on its side stand...if dead on when bike is on side stand---way too much oil....

Update ! Last week I drained my oil for oil change. Pulled right crankcase cover. Not much Honda HT bond around sensor rubber elbow. Was real fun getting old Honda Bond off. I just used brake cleaner on shop rags. Painted on new Honda HT bond with paint brush. I then waited 4 days for Honda bond cured. Filled her up with oil. I've driven about 300 miles now. And know more oil leak. I did add a little extra Honda bond on both sides of sensor boot. I also did my valve adjustment while bike was down. That was fun too!!

Update ! Last week I drained my oil for oil change. Pulled right crankcase cover. Not much Honda HT bond around sensor rubber elbow. Was real fun getting old Honda Bond off. I just used brake cleaner on shop rags. Painted on new Honda HT bond with paint brush. I then waited 4 days for Honda bond cured. Filled her up with oil. I've driven about 300 miles now. And know more oil leak. I did add a little extra Honda bond on both sides of sensor boot. I also did my valve adjustment while bike was down. That was fun too!!

Great job! I like to hear stories where people dive in and solve the problem.

Thanks for giving the forum an update. Most of the time someone asks for help with a problem, they get some suggestions, and then they’re never heard from again. The forum doesn’t learn that way. Again, we appreciate the update.

No problem! The valve adjustments was a all day, 12 pack job. I want things to be perfect. I would adjust valves and torque down. Then turn over crank several times. Then recheck valves again. Did that probably more than I should. I had neglected doing valve adjustments. All valves were on very tight side. Couldn't even get feeler gauge in them. I'm second owner of bike. Original owner died of cancer.

Thanks for posting this. Looks likely I have the same leak. Just noticed oil residue around the same spot on my 2012 MT.

So it was the gasket bead that was causing the leak? I do remember removing the clutch cable mount for the frame protectors. Did anyone ever find a torque spec for those crankcase bolts? Wonder if I didn’t properly torque them.

I thought I was just getting road grime on my Aerostich pant leg. There is more grime on the right leg for sure.

Back