• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil Filter wrenches

DirtFlier

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not wanting to hi-jack or divert a previous post about oil filters, which seems to go on forever, I thought I'd mention that filter wrenches are available from Honda. Long ago bought a "filter set" from Honda - the set being a nicely-plated, metal, oil filter wrench and one oil filter. If you look at a Honda parts drawing, it shows the numbers for a set and also for an individual filter.

Filter Set: 15010-MCE-H51 or Filter: 15410-MFJ-D01

The cap wrench fits very tightly in fact I've forgotten to remove it on occasion and still found it in place many miles later! And my sons change oil in their Honda cars at my house and they've done the same. Now, I've learned to look for the filter wrench before they leave my garage.

And "No" I don't know what other filter brands it fits because I've only used Honda filters all these years. :)

Last edited:
I bought a box of filters and a wrench combo for my Honda Civic. I’ve been using the same wrench for 18 years. Heavy duty chromed metal. Top quality! I have never had it slip on a stuck filter.
My friends bought different brands online and they were either thin metal or plastic. When torqued, they will expand and skip.
I think I paid $6-$8 for my Honda wrench. The other ones are less expensive but you get what you pay for.

JT

Yes, the metal on the Honda filter wrench is a good thickness. And it fits both the car and bike filters that are genuine Honda.

This may help someone out. A simple economical oil filter wrench that fits any 2-1/2 to 2-3/4” oil filter. Simple and costs about $4 total. First buy a 2-1/2” to 2-3/4” crawler type hose clamp. It will have a hex head for a 5/16” socket. Buy a cheap 5/16” nut driver. It will have a screwdriver handle ( or you can just buy a 5/16” hex x1/4” drive socket if you already have a 1/4” drive handle). Next file the metal rim part inback of the 5/16 “ hex drive nut on the crawler clamp,so your socket or nut driver socket will go on deeper. check for a tight fit, put some expoxy into the socket and tap onto the drive nut that in on the crawler clamp.let sit for a few days inside. Now you have an adjustable 2-1/2” to 2-3/4” crawler clamp with a fixed handle, you turn to tighten or loosen the crawler type hose clamp around the oil filter. Simply tighten the clamp around the oil filter, once you get it to turn you can loosen the clamp, reposition,tighten and turn more untill loose enough to turn oil filter by hand. The other alternative is just to buy the hose clamp <$1,tighten the hose clamp around the oil filter and then use a pair of vice grips or channel lock pliers to grab the clamp worm screw ( front to rear) and loosen the oil filter. You can make one with any size hose clamp for whatever diameter oil filter. Not responsible if you hurt yourself making or using this tool.

Seriously, an end-cap oil filter wrench that's used with a 3/8" drive ratchet for a Honda costs about about $6. Why jerk around with some kludge to save $2?

And if you haven't changed the oil yet on a new NC. Get the Honda filter wrench. I changed my oil and filters at the 700 mile marker. Holy cow. How tight did Honda screw it down?

I had four different filter wrench's in my tool chest. I thought I'd be covered. Two were socket types of the wrong size the other two are the adjustable type with a band and handle.

Yeah, I got it off. Eventually. I think Honda put it on with a impact wrench set way to high. Get the right tool for the job.

And if you haven't changed the oil yet on a new NC. Get the Honda filter wrench. I changed my oil and filters at the 700 mile marker. Holy cow. How tight did Honda screw it down?

I had four different filter wrench's in my tool chest. I thought I'd be covered. Two were socket types of the wrong size the other two are the adjustable type with a band and handle.

Yeah, I got it off. Eventually. I think Honda put it on with a impact wrench set way to high. Get the right tool for the job.

It is not that Honda over tightened the filter.........the oring is sticking to the block. This sticking increases the torque needed to break it lose. This is not limited to the NC. Has been discussed at length in the past ( since 2012).

The filter/block threads are also dry. And, probably nothing is tightened in a modern vehicle factory by anything other than some automated device set to a specific torque value. I also doubt that any one named Honda puts oil filters on new engines.

Seriously, an end-cap oil filter wrench that's used with a 3/8" drive ratchet for a Honda costs about about $6. Why jerk around with some kludge to save $2?

I have two questions -#1 What’s a kludge ? . , #2 that socket you bought for $6 will remove the filter without a ratchet attached to it ? that ( must be free -since the price of a rachet is not shown). Plus the “ kludge “ you speak of will work in places on many vechicles and bikes that$6 socket cannot/ won’t fit. Like the filter on an Indian Scout. Unless you remove the horn, utilizing more time and tools.

I have two questions -#1 What’s a kludge ? . , #2 that socket you bought for $6 will remove the filter without a ratchet attached to it ? that ( must be free -since the price of a rachet is not shown). Plus the “ kludge “ you speak of will work in places on many vechicles and bikes that$6 socket cannot/ won’t fit. Like the filter on an Indian Scout. Unless you remove the horn, utilizing more time and tools.

Kludge Who works on a car or motorcycle without owning a ratchet wrench? Nowhere in my post did I imply that filter wrench come with a ratchet. I was also incorrect about its price. I was in Walmart yesterday and it costs $3.40. If for some bizarre reason I bought an Indian Scout, I would buy the appropriate tools to work on it that I didn't already own.

Kludge Who works on a car or motorcycle without owning a ratchet wrench? Nowhere in my post did I imply that filter wrench come with a ratchet. I was also incorrect about its price. I was in Walmart yesterday and it costs $3.40. If for some bizarre reason I bought an Indian Scout, I would buy the appropriate tools to work on it that I didn't already own.

Lol, some just really don’t get it. Of course I have tools, many.including a Bridgeport and a Harrison Lathe. Have built robotics and machinery. But that’s irreverent. Some people may appreciate the fact that they may just want to do do minor maintenance like CHANGING their oil. I do all my own repair/ rebuild work including engine/ trans/ electrical work. Many wish to have a dealer or shop do repairs and the likes- but are willing to do minor maintenance ( again as in oil changes) themselves. Helping others is a good thing. Ripping those who do is either unknowing or arrogant.

What about the second oil filter change?

Sigh... The first oil change comment is what's known as sarcasm. For the first oil change a large Channel Lock is mostly good for crushing and mangling the oil filter. It should work okay for subsequent oil changes provided it wan't used for tightening the last installed oil filter.

I have never used a tool to install a spin-on oil filter.

Ever. Unless you consider my hands to be tools. :confused:

And I coat the sealing ring with oil (on both sides), prior to installation.

The only time I have ever had a problem removing an oil filter was the first time I did it on a vehicle; had to put a screwdriver through that one.
Otherwise I used that circle-clamp thing for some years, then lost it, and have used channel-locks ever since, with no issues.

The only time I have ever had a problem removing an oil filter was the first time I did it on a vehicle; had to put a screwdriver through that one.
Otherwise I used that circle-clamp thing for some years, then lost it, and have used channel-locks ever since, with no issues.

ah yes, the screwdriver through the filter method. I used that for years on various cars. It makes a mess but it was effective until I mangled a filter on my Olds Cutlass so bad that it tore in half. I don't even remember how I got the bottom half off now, I just remember raging at it for over an hour and that a hammer may have been involved:eek:

Back