• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil filter size?

gpd211

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For those of you that have done an oil change could you please verify the oil filter size. Is it the standard oil filter size that Honda seems to use on about everything recent? If it is the list below are acceptable filters. Read up the Honda filters are not the best available

[5]
These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1.5mm threads,
14 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve,
2.3" O.D. gasket
2.5" to 3.5" long.
If you have the room, I recommend the longer filters.
Motorcycle Filters.
None are recommended.

AC Delco PF2135
AMSOil SMF103
Carquest 85358
AC Delco PF2135
FRAM PH6017A
Honda 15410-MCJ-000
K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
NAPA Gold 1358
Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
STP SMO 17
WIX 51358
Recommended filters.
All have superior
filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.
Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607
Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion.
Automobile Filters,
about 2.5 inches long.
AC Delco PF1237
Baldwin B1400
Firestone TF2876
Hastings LF113
NAPA Gold 1365
Purolator L14612
STP S-02876
WalMart SuperTech ST6607
WIX 51365
Automobile Filters,
about 3.25 inches long.
AC Delco PF-2057
Auto Pro 2356
Autopride CF240AP
Baldwin B1402
Carquest 85356
Carquest Red B4620
Casite CF240
Castrol 7317
Champion Labs Ph2867
Defense Filters Dl7317
Deutsch D-370
Federated Filters LF240F
Fram Double Guard DG7317
Fram PH7317
Automobile Filters,
about 3.25 inches long.
Fram Tough Guard TG7317
Fram Xtra Guard XG7317
Group 7 V4610
Group 7 V4620
Hastings LF240
Mighty M4612
Millard ML-3593
Motorcraft Long Life FL-821
Napa FIL1356
Napa Gold 1356
Parts Plus PH2867
Pennzoil PZ-109
Penske 7317
Powerflo SL14610
Powerflo SL14620
Pro Gauge PGO-4620
Pro Tec 164
Promotive PH4610
Pronto PO3593A
Purolator L14610
Service Champ OF-4622
Shell SH48
Shell SH529
Stp S-02867.
Valvoline VO50
Warner PH2867
Wix 51356

I have done one NC700X oil/filter change and it does take the standard Honda filter that seems to fit most if not all recent models. I have an Acura TL and the same filter fits my Honda motorcycles as well as the car. Makes it easy to keep the right ones on the garage shelf.

I do not want to start a debate about oil and filters here but this is my opinion: Honda builds very reliable long-lived engines and they must believe their specified OEM filter is adequate to do the job when changed at the recommended intervals and this has worked for me.

Oil and oil filters, and of course oil change. I have been labelled "oil expert" many years ago in another forum far far away. Also I had once been accused for not being too supportive of my local motorcycle shops, so I have endeavored to change oil there from now on. (although the service itself cost me 100chf w/o materials) With this new bike, I did not have a chance to get my hands oily. Sorry I could not provide you the measurements and perhaps be accused of posting meta comments here. However I cannot stress enough that oil and oilfilter should be changed at the same time. If budget is a problem, then at least change that oil filter more often than not. A cheap OEM or compatible oilfilter is no worse than the "factory loaded" one. We also need to keep in mind, the wonderful long interval suggested by the usermanual, 12000km. yes 12 thousand km.:D

According to this web site the gl1800 uses the same filter. Take a read there are much better quality filters out there than Fram or OEM. Not trying to start 'the great oil debate' as its been covered on every forum on the web thousands of times over.

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

And some good reading should you have nothing better to do

- Bob is the Oil Guy

I agree as I always change the filter when changing the oil. To my mind leaving the old filter in is like washing up in dirty water.
Despite Hondas service schedule I still change the oil & filter at 4000 miles as I feel that oil & filters are cheaper than new engines

i have a couple new OEM filters from 2007 CBR600RR. will they fit?

Thank you!

I use the K&N. Its a well vetted, high quality filter and that nut on the end for tightening and removal is the best idea ever!!

According to this web site the gl1800 uses the same filter. Take a read there are much better quality filters out there than Fram or OEM. Not trying to start 'the great oil debate' as its been covered on every forum on the web thousands of times over.

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

And some good reading should you have nothing better to do

- Bob is the Oil Guy
For this reference I find out that my Nissan versa 2012 hatch use the same oil filter as nc700, cool beans! Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

This thread was a god send to find out that any modern Honda filter will work with the NC. Makes it easy to find something that will work just about any place that sells oil filters. To me this is a big plus for the Honda products and the NC. I am not stressed out about finding a filter for the bike. Now finding "motorcycle" oil when your away from home on the road is a bit more of a challenge however if your pushed to find oil someplace that can be a bear.

This thread was a god send to find out that any modern Honda filter will work with the NC. Makes it easy to find something that will work just about any place that sells oil filters. To me this is a big plus for the Honda products and the NC. I am not stressed out about finding a filter for the bike. Now finding "motorcycle" oil when your away from home on the road is a bit more of a challenge however if your pushed to find oil someplace that can be a bear.

Engine oil filters changes are once every 16,000 miles according to the latest model NC700 maintenance schedule, so it’s not something you need often. Walmart sells Valvoline 10W-40 motorcycle oil @$4/quart that meets all the specs for the NC700, so it’s pretty easy to find out on the road. It’s what I use in all my motorcycles and scooters.

Engine oil filters changes are once every 16,000 miles according to the latest model NC700 maintenance schedule, so it’s not something you need often. Walmart sells Valvoline 10W-40 motorcycle oil @$4/quart that meets all the specs for the NC700, so it’s pretty easy to find out on the road. It’s what I use in all my motorcycles and scooters.
So are they saying oil at 8k and filter every other? Wish my Wal-Mart carried it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Agreed it shouldn't happen very often you would be looking for a filter, but thankfully this is a common item. My local Walmart doesn't have motorcycle oil. That is good to know that some Walmart's do have it.

[...have a couple new OEM filters from 2007 CBR600RR. will they fit?...]

Starting with new engines designed from around 1989, all Honda motorcycles use the same oil filter.

+1 on dduelin's comments.

Most riders opt for non-Honda, oil filters to save money but when you consider using it just for the recommended 8k miles, the savings is almost nothing. In that same timeframe, you could save far more money if you didn't have fries with your once a week burger!

Last edited:
[...have a couple new OEM filters from 2007 CBR600RR. will they fit?...]

Starting with new engines designed from around 1989, all Honda motorcycles use the same oil filter.

+1 on dduelin's comments.

Most riders opt for non-Honda, oil filters to save money but when you consider using it just for the recommended 8k miles, the savings is almost nothing. You could save far more money if you didn't have fries with your once a week burger!

For me it is convenience factor and that the data appears to show that there are some really good manufacturers of oil filters that perform better so it is a win win when you can find them at most stores that sell oil filters. And I get to stay AWAY from the dealer... I walk into the dealer and it seems like every bike on the floor "knows my name", they are calling me... LOL

All spin-on oil filters have the same thread size and are interchangeable. External physical size would be the only limitation. This all according to the Filter Manufacturers Council technical service bulletin 94-3R2 dated Apr 2008.
I know spark plugs threads are close to 14mm in size but have a pitch size all their own and require a special tap in cleaning those threads. (Preventing debris getting into the CC would be a concern however).
Blue Skies Green Lights.

i found a great deal on Fleabay for 3 K+N-204's for $30 delivered to your door!!! :{)

You might want to look at this:

K&N recall oil filter due to leak risk | Visordown

In a statement on its website, the company says: “K&N has discovered that in certain KN-204 oil filters manufactured between March 1, 2016 and September 30, 2016, oil can leak at the area where a nut (intended for use to remove the oil filter during routine oil changes) was welded to the bottom of the filter canister.Sep 14, 2017

Think one or more members have had issues with Leaks and reported there experiences on the NC forum.

Back